• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Photos 243Win AIAW with Hensoldt SSG-P

One-Eyed Jack

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2004
Minden, NV
Here's my new AIAW with a 26" Border barrel with 1 in 8 twist to shoot moly 115DTACs. It grouped very well after about 10 shots and I'm looking forward to shooting it to long range. I opted for no break-in rounds. I am very impressed with the magazine system, it's had no hiccups at all - I wish I could say the same about my AICS magazines.

The scope is a Hensoldt 3-12x56mm SSG-P, similar to the scope the Germans use on their G-22 sniper rig. Even without a canted rail, the Hensoldt still has 9.2 mils up elevation with a 100-yard zero, more than enough to get the 115DTACs to 1kyd and beyond. It works very well with the AIAW stock.

Re: 243Win AIAW with Hensoldt SSG-P

Congrats, great scope on a great rifle. That's what I wanted on my AIAW but with the flat rail couldn't make to 900/1000M with .308.

How's the ranging scale within the reticle? I have to find away to have one on my rifle...

If you use the mildots for holdovers, you can get up to 14.2 mils of up elevation (9.2 mils plus up to 5 mils from the reticle) with the AIAW Picatinny rail - enough for 1kyd with a 308Win and more.

The SSG-P and SSG have two reticles - a mil dot reticle and an index reticle. The latter indicates the elevation knob setting. The SSG has 0.15mr clicks (~0.5 MOA) and the mil dots are 1.5 mils apart (10 clicks).

Is that a stock AIAW barrel? or an aftermarket barrel? Thought you need at least 1:7" to push the 115 pills

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aceshigh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congrats, great scope on a great rifle. That's what I wanted on my AIAW but with the flat rail couldn't make to 900/1000M with .308.

How's the ranging scale within the reticle? I have to find away to have one on my rifle...
</div></div>

Aces, The SSG-P has about 28 mils total adjustment. The info (11.4 mils) is in a single turn of the knob. It will have plenty of adjustment range on a 0 cant rail.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that a stock AIAW barrel? or an aftermarket barrel? Thought you need at least 1:7" to push the 115 pills</div></div>

1-8" will send em just fine, 1-7.5 recommended for sure if you're at any kind of altitude.

No, it's not a stock AI barrel. Tac Pro Shooting Center ordered several AWs with special Border barrels to shoot 115DTACs. The barrels are marked AI. I presume Border could make more of them.

Nice!

I saw them on the TacPro sale page.

What's the height of the scope over the bore?
What chamber/throat is Border using for those?
What OAL are you loading to with the 115 DTAC's?

Height over bore is about 2.5", pretty much the same as a Tubb 2K with 4-16x50mm PMII S&B.

Chambering is "match" according to Border and, I presume, the throat length is cut for the 115DTAC.

COAL is AICS magazine length, 2.860".

tac pro great guys talk to them about the new alamo four star tri-pod system the y have some coming in they really are the new great thing

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that a stock AIAW barrel? or an aftermarket barrel? Thought you need at least 1:7" to push the 115 pills </div></div>
My box of 115DTACs says, "Accurate only with appropriate twist rate barrel (1-8 or faster)."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THUNDERBOLT68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">tac pro great guys talk to them about the new alamo four star tri-pod system the y have some coming in they really are the new great thing </div></div>
Is this a new Alamo 4-Star tripod? I have the DCLW head and shooting tripod and it works well.