• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

25-06 131 gr blackjack

Im looking at the same deal but magnum calibers. If i had a std bolt face id look alot to the 25-284.

It will work in any of the OG .257 cartridges but you will be limited in MV. It has been brought up before but until it's intended brass is readily available it won't take off on the market. I plan on to continue with the second box of 500 for load development in the '06 then rethink about it some more. It wasn't particularly developed with the OG cartridges in mind. As for the '06, it has the same case capacity as the .270 Win. So you sort of have to look at published '06 120 grain data and start there and sort of look at the published .270 Win 130 gr published data. Blackjack should be publishing load data sheets no different than Sierra does. All you have to do is email Sierra and in a couple of days you have the PDF file. Blackjack has load data spread out all over the place because of their FB mentality. By this time they should have data sheets available for all of the readily available .257 brass formatted just like Sierra does.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: sandwarrior
I ran the 131s in a 257wby (chambered with the Blackjack reamer) and 7828ssc got up to around 3325fps with a node at 3303. Barrel was a 26" Proof 1-7.5.

If I were going to do it again I would probably go with a short/med action magnum cartridge like the 25SST, 25PRC or their 257blackjack and probably a Bartlein (steel or CFW). If you already have a LA/std BF then run the 25/06 or do something wild like a 25x284.

I practiced with mine out to 800 (12.5 moa) but of course when it came time to hunt I ended up with a 147y shot on a free range Aoudad that didn't even make it 30 yards before collapsing.

I ran the 131s in a 257wby (chambered with the Blackjack reamer) and 7828ssc got up to around 3325fps with a node at 3303. Barrel was a 26" Proof 1-7.5.

If I were going to do it again I would probably go with a short/med action magnum cartridge like the 25SST, 25PRC or their 257blackjack and probably a Bartlein (steel or CFW). If you already have a LA/std BF then run the 25/06 or do something wild like a 25x284.

I practiced with mine out to 800 (12.5 moa) but of course when it came time to hunt I ended up with a 147y shot on a free range Aoudad that didn't even make it 30 yards before collapsing.
What was the barrel life with the 257 weatherby?

I’m running a 25-06 with a 26” sendero 1:7 X-Caliber barrel, so far I have shot 150 of the 131 Ace bullets over top of 57.5 grains of retumbo and in my rifle I’m getting 3164 with virgin nosler 25-06 brass.
2CD5556F-78C3-4B58-BC3D-F5C53EC95427.jpeg

What was the barrel life with the 257 weatherby?
Weatherby's actually hold pretty good barrel life. The true Weatherby cartridges have really long throats. Like 1/2" or more of freebore. That doesn't bode well for super-tight accuracy, but it allows a lot of speed to be built up before the bullet engages the lands.
While not super accurate (like bench-rest), they do hold hunting accuracy for a long time. There are no lands right in front of the case catching all that super hot plasma.
That said, I could not always keep Wildcat bullets (Blackjack predecessor?) together out of my .257 Wby. Or, Sierras, Hornady's, Bergers and other bullets. The only bullets that stayed together consistently were Noslers. It wasn't the twist/speed rotation issue, I believe, it was the toughness of the jackets. Things have changed in the last fifteen years or so since I bought Wildcats.

Last edited:
Weatherby's actually hold pretty good barrel life. The true Weatherby cartridges have really long throats. Like 1/2" or more of freebore. That doesn't bode well for super-tight accuracy, but it allows a lot of speed to be built up before the bullet engages the lands.
While not super accurate (like bench-rest), they do hold hunting accuracy for a long time. There are no lands right in front of the case catching all that super hot plasma.
That said, I could not always keep Wildcat bullets (Blackjack predecessor?) together out of my .257. Or, Sierras, Hornady's, Bergers and other bullets. The only bullets that stayed together consistently were Noslers. It wasn't the twist/speed rotation issue, I believe, it was the toughness of the jackets. Things have changed in the last fifteen years or so since I bought Wildcats.
Im hoping it turns out good

Im hoping it turns out good
If you are looking to run these as long range competition rounds I would look to more conventional types of cases. The Weatherby won't give you an advantage in super accuracy, just speed. I have seen some shoot in the 1/2" category, but more typically they do as Weatherby projected, somewhere inside 1.5 moa.

If you plan on hunting long-range I would suggest what has been brought up above. The 25-06 with a tight twist barrel is all the power you need. The quality there is the efficiency of the bullet, not the power of the case. If you want to step up or go with a shorter action, the .284 case, RSAUM case, PRC case would all work. It depends on what action you want as to how well those might work.

If you are looking to run these as long range competition rounds I would look to more conventional types of cases. The Weatherby won't give you an advantage in super accuracy, just speed. I have seen some shoot in the 1/2" category, but more typically they do as Weatherby projected, somewhere inside 1.5 moa.

If you plan on hunting long-range I would suggest what has been brought up above. The 25-06 with a tight twist barrel is all the power you need. The quality there is the efficiency of the bullet, not the power of the case. If you want to step up or go with a shorter action, the .284 case, RSAUM case, PRC case would all work. It depends on what action you want as to how well those might work.
Yeah i was looking at 25 saum too

Reactions: Stevo86

Guys at black jacket have a shorter reamer for 257 w and they said they had one at 1000 rds going strong shooting them at comps and they wasnt very nice to it but idk i would be happy with 1000 rd barrel life if that was case

I’m running a 25-06 with a 26” sendero 1:7 X-Caliber barrel, so far I have shot 150 of the 131 Ace bullets over top of 57.5 grains of retumbo and in my rifle I’m getting 3164 with virgin nosler 25-06 brass. View attachment 7451373

What is your COAL and bullet jump? How is the accuracy? Nice piece, BTW.

Reactions: Cootis23
What is your COAL and bullet jump? How is the accuracy? Nice piece, BTW.
I dont have the case measuring tools for the .257 diameter i did the old seat it a little bit then use the bolt to seat to the lands then set my RCBS gold medal seating die to that length then ran it down .015 and that was giving me 5/8" groups at 100 and I was getting sd's around 13fps so im guessing that was on my brass being unfired , im all out of retumbo now so ill have to give it another go with a new powder now and see what i come up with.

I dont have the case measuring tools for the .257 diameter i did the old seat it a little bit then use the bolt to seat to the lands then set my RCBS gold medal seating die to that length then ran it down .015 and that was giving me 5/8" groups at 100 and I was getting sd's around 13fps so im guessing that was on my brass being unfired , im all out of retumbo now so ill have to give it another go with a new powder now and see what i come up with.

Thanks. Those groups seem to be typical from what I gather and experienced.

What is your cartridge and load data? Asking for a friend.
I hesitate to post because there are a lot of conditions on this.
Rifle- Rem 700 .25-06 BDL, stock rifle. A buddy in a different state had the 131's and gave me only 6 to play with. I was going to load with RL26, but I had an old can of 7828... not SSC... so I loaded 54.0 grains and federal primer. These were 5x fired federal cases. Average velocity for six shots was 2950 with es of 15fps. Accuracy not great though about 1" @100 yards. 117 grain match using 4831 usually gets me about .65".
They had to be seated rather deep...
I need to add this was a hot load, flat primers.

Last edited:
Those are from the Black Jack FB. I have a similar graph for N160 compared to the FB RL26. Except a few good nodes around 2700, 2800, and 2900. No over pressure up to 3025 where I stopped. There is no way I'm going to push a 131 over 3000 in a 25-06. I'm pushing as it is at 2900-2950 with this overbore cartridge. The Ace has been out a couple of years and I don't see much on barrel life. At 500 my lands have been pushed out .013 jammed.

Those are from the Black Jack FB. I have a similar graph for N160 compared to the FB RL26. Except a few good nodes around 2700, 2800, and 2900. No over pressure up to 3025 where I stopped. There is no way I'm going to push a 131 over 3000 in a 25-06. I'm pushing as it is at 2900-2950 with this overbore cartridge. The Ace has been out a couple of years and I don't see much on barrel life. At 500 my lands have been pushed out .013 jammed.

I know, I made them. But I don’t know why you would not run it over 3kfps. Probably 1/3 of 25 creed barrels can run safely at 3030-3040fps for 3000 rounds. Other slower barrels still run comfortably at 2950-2970. The -06 has over 10 grains more H2O capacity, why wouldn’t you utilize it?

Because of case volume / bore area makes the 25-06 one of the most wicked overbore. Published reloading data has 100 grains or less bullets with MV over 3100. I pushed 120 grain bullets a little over 3000 and was getting right at 1200 rounds accuracy. After that it became a 1 MOA rifle. I'm suspecting less with a 131-grain bullet. And that is with backing down to mid 2900s. Some published loads have a 120 at about 3100 but most are 2900s and as low as 2800s..

I'm also rethinking twist rates with what I'm seeing on target out to 600 yards. I'm at 3700'. Of course we are not seeing blow ups but I'm also noticing having to settle on .5 MOA accuracy zeroing give or take .1 MOA.

@damoncali

The Berger and JBM calculators don't go into overstabalizing.

I'm also finding this is not uncommon...

"All three charges shot the first three shots in sub .4”, then the fourth shot of every charge weight was a wide flyer."

I can't help but noticing that the author's published groups at distance were three shot groups unless I'm mistaken.

I'm also rethinking twist rates with what I'm seeing on target out to 600 yards. I'm at 3700'. Of course we are not seeing blow ups but I'm also noticing having to settle on .5 MOA accuracy zeroing give or take .1 MOA.

@damoncali

The Berger and JBM calculators don't go into overstabalizing.

A quick note on the calculator. I don't know exactly what Berger and JBM do, but I'm guessing its very similar to what is in my calculator. When mine reports "overstability" its just saying that the Sg is higher than it needs to be. In theory (and practice) this means that you could go with a slower twist rate and get slightly better accuracy without running into any stability issues. This is all an approximation (a pretty good one, though), and anecdotally, I would say that my experience is that miller calculators are a hair on the conservative side.

There are more detailed calculations that can be done that do away with the Miller approximations, but it requires detailed bullet geometry, and the numbers don't change much so long as we're talking about normally proportioned rifle bullets.

Just wanted to clarify things. I haven't shot the Blackjack at all, but given it's length and BC, it's not surprising if it takes a little more effort to get it really dialed in. Long skinny bullets are more sensitive to anything that's a little off.

If anyone is interested in getting into the weeds on how length/twist impacts accuracy potential, check out this article:

Long story short, there's a reason benchrest shooters tend to use shorter bullets and give up a little BC to get better accuracy.

Last edited:
Good article, damoncali

Well, after consulting with some knowledgeable people I'm going to not give up. Apparently, some people are going beyond bullet jump off the lands in the 25-06 then I ever considered. I'm going to start with a fresh batch of brass and start working my way back. :)

I'm an old 25-06 shooter and trying to wrap my head around this particular bullet. In other words, I'm stubborn using old tried and true technics with what was available before the Ace hit the market. This bullet is teaching me more about bullets. It's a .257 bullet. It'll work in the 25-06 at an acceptable rate. I'll get there.

Yesterday, I had backed off to .015 and saw some improvement. I'm going to need to go even further. Maybe even a lot further.

Good article, damoncali

Well, after consulting with some knowledgeable people I'm going to not give up. Apparently, some people are going beyond bullet jump off the lands in the 25-06 then I ever considered. I'm going to start with a fresh batch of brass and start working my way back. :)

I'm an old 25-06 shooter and trying to wrap my head around this particular bullet. In other words, I'm stubborn using old tried and true technics with what was available before the Ace hit the market. This bullet is teaching me more about bullets. It's a .257 bullet. It'll work in the 25-06 at an acceptable rate. I'll get there.

Yesterday, I had backed off to .015 and saw some improvement. I'm going to need to go even further. Maybe even a lot further.
Do a fairly coarse test all the way back to .120 jump - every .015 or so, and then fine tune from the best spot. A lot of bullets will show good results at unconventionally long jumps. Watch the pressure if you're near max, though - .120 vs 0 makes a little bit of difference.

I had already tested from .005 to .02 all along. Okay, seated from jammed into the land at .015 increments from .035 to .125 @200 meters...

5 shot groups

.035 .7 moa
.050 .6 moa
.065 1 moa
.080 .4 moa

After that the groups started opening up.

Reactions: sandwarrior
I figured out how to calculate throat angle on a tangent ogive bullet. In case anybody wants to know, lol. The BJ Ace is 1.55 degrees. The Ogive Radius is 9.33 calibers. I think, lol.

ogive.gif

I'm working on how to calculate this for a secant bullet but it is a lot more complex.

I figured out how to calculate throat angle on a tangent ogive bullet. In case anybody wants to know, lol. The BJ Ace is 1.55 degrees. The Ogive Radius is 9.33 calibers. I think, lol.

ogive.gif

I'm working on how to calculate this for a secant bullet but it is a lot more complex.
9.3R for a Blackjack 131 Ace doesn't sound right. I'm thinking more in line with Bergers longest. In the range of 12-15R.

The Berger VLD is 14.95. I just used the standard tangent formula to arrive at 9.33. The Ace is tangent not secant but we don't know the Rt/R to determine how close to secant it may be. So, yeah 9.33 may be conservative.

The bullet on the right looks like a hybrid. I assume you mean a 115 VLD on the left? 131 Blackjack ACE on the right? The junction looks ever so slightly tangent, while the rest of the nose looks secant. The 115 VLD looks like the ogive is blended very well to the bearing surface which would make it a hybrid as well. JMO.

Added: the hybrid 'look' on the left is going to take jump a lot better than the 'more secant' looking ogive on the right. Again, JMO/JME. I'm usually right about 10% of the time.

But, I'm certainly following what you're doing with the 25-06. I'm going to do something in the near future with a tight twisted .257 cal. rifle.

Added: Getting down to brass tacks, the ogive on the left is clearly shorter than the ogive on the right.

Last edited:
Yes the one on the left is the 115 VLD secant with a published 14.95 ogive radius. It's Rt/R is .56 with .50 being as secant as you can get.

Try this calculator on the 131 Ace. It also calculates sectional density and Rt/R. All variables are in calibers. You should get a high Rt/R and some interesting stability. Play with the ogive radius and specific gravity variables a little.

Added: Getting down to brass tacks, the ogive on the left is clearly shorter than the ogive on the right.

The secant in the drawing below would have an Rt/R of .50 and the tangent 1.0. Most bullets fall in-between. Remember, the 115 VLD is .56.

liljabulletsectangx350.gif

Also, don't miss the related posts' links at the end of the above short article.

Id be very interested in your load with that 257 wthrby

I looked that up on Hodgdon's website and they show 73 gr. of H1000 and 69 gr. of IMR 7828, which is a slower single base powder. What up Hodgdon????

Added: Their reloading tables are FULL of lawyer loads...:mad::mad::sneaky::mad::mad:

I looked that up on Hodgdon's website and they show 73 gr. of H1000 and 69 gr. of IMR 7828, which is a slower single base powder. What up Hodgdon????

Added: Their reloading tables are FULL of lawyer loads...:mad::mad::sneaky::mad::mad:
I’ve always found 7828 to be more like H4831 than H1000 but I definitely agree hodgdon load data is weak.

Roll on light sandpaper accuracy. So, now I need to measure the dual ogive radius. Or just call it at 9 and 6 ballpark. Explains why I have a wide sub moa seating depth range for such a long skinny bullet. Blackjack needs to come out with a 120 grain version for the masses. By the time my 1:9 prefit is done I'll be out of this bullet. Though Preferred Barrels does make a 7.5 Remage and Xcaliber only does 7. Preferred does make prefits for Tikka, Howa, Savage et al too.

Hint...

Roll on light sandpaper accuracy. So, now I need to measure the dual ogive radius. Or just call it at 9 and 6 ballpark. Explains why I have a wide sub moa seating depth range for such a long skinny bullet. Blackjack needs to come out with a 120 grain version for the masses. By the time my 1:9 prefit is done I'll be out of this bullet. Though Preferred Barrels does make a 7.5 Remage and Xcaliber only does 7. Preferred does make prefits for Tikka, Howa, Savage et al too.

Hint...

You guys could ask the source, I have been heavily involved in this thread. While I’m not going to release bullet specs, I will tell you your break down of the bullet’s parts is very good BUT you are WAY off on the radius’s