• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

25-06 max load question

Shakeber

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2011
I am getting ready to do an OCW for my Ruger M77 in 25-06. I have two reloading manuals. One is the recent Sierra manual and the other is the 7th edition Hornady manual. I will be using RL 22 powder pushing a 117 gr. sierra gameking bullet. One manual (sierra) list a max load of 50.5 gr. of powder for 3100 fps. the other manual (hornady) lists 56.1 grs. of powder with the same velocity. What gives. I know they use different cases and barrels but this difference seems excessive. Does anyone have other manuals to refer to to get a good average max. Thanks for your help in advance.

Re: 25-06 max load question

Speer manual doesn't have a 117 gr in it...for 120 gr it says 52gr max for 2931 fps.

Nosler manual- Doesn't have any info on 117 gr nor does it have any RL-22.

Lyman 47th edition- has 117 gr but not RL-22.

I have had a few differences with the Siera also. I now have 5 different reloading books and kinda take the average but always starting low and checking for pressure.

Sorry there isn't any help here for you.

Thanks Rebel, that's one more max that I can use to get an average. I agree with starting low and working up, except that my OCW's normally only cover a little over 2 grs. of powder weight as I usually use 0.3 gr. increments. if I do not have a good max average, I may miss a node. Thanks again.

Shakeber, Look at the data again. Does the Sierra manual list that load for their(sierra) bullet and Hornady list their bullet(hornady). These loads are for the Individual Companies bullets. Nosler will have different loads for their bullets. Speer will have different loads. These are loads for the specific bullet and components. I would start low and work up but I would stay in the guidlines of that manufacture.

Also look at H4831 in the 25/06. This is what I shoot out of my rifle and it performs great with several different bullet weights. Good Luck

Thanks VTR. I agree with all you stated. It just seems that 6 gr. of powder for similar wt. bullets is an excessive amount for max. Thanks again. One thing though, I looked at the Alliant manual and it states that 52.0 gr. is max at ~3100 fps. for that weight bullet (regardless of the maker).