• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

25-06 who's shooting one?

NRF

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2010
CORNHUSKER
I haven't seen much said about this caliber. I don't own one but they are very popular in my area for the deer hunters anyways.

My friend has 2 and is wanting to shoot long range with me. I see there isn't many choices for bullets. What is working for you guys and what insite could I give him?

I would be hand loading for him maybe give me an idea what has worked for you, or are the factory loads sufficient?

Re: 25-06 who's shooting one?

Neil

I ran one for a few years, good hunting rifle. I agree the choice of a decent bc bullet sucks. I ended up running 100 ballistic tips as it gave an ok ballance of speed and bc, the 115 ballistic tip gets a bc of around .45 not the greatest but it'll work.

We need to go shooting sometime.

Take care.

I've got one, and I love it, haven't shot it much as of late, but it is one in a million. A factory Ruger M77 varmint, and with almost no changes(bedding job, muzzle break, and Trigger adjustment) it has shot .375 5 shot groups @ 200yds with 100smk and 49.0 gr of H4831SC.

seven mm,

I have been alot of places in the country but actually had to look up where Yutan is, Your not that far away LOL. Do you have any places to shoot long range there?

GO-FASTER,

What are you shooting at in the video? Looks like balloons full of water? What are your velocities with RL22 how many grains? Are you seating the bullets jamming, jumping or by the book?

One of my friends 25's is a Cooper it's a tack driver with factory ammo but he thought 400 yards was along shot
laugh.gif

thanks for the info guys

shooting milk jugs with water and red food coloring

the 115 with rl22 is 56-57 gr. different lot #
right around 3200 fps berger with a small jam
nosler b.t .010 jump

Nobody. There are not any decent bullets for LR performance. I have a Sendero that I use for p. dogs. 85gr'ers at 3600 fps.
smile.gif

Quarter bores are awesome I grew up shooting custom 25-06s,

Another 25-06AI being built just because I really like them

108gr JLKs BC .500 or 115gr VLD BC .466 The JLKs fly very good for LR, but for PDog shooting you can not beat the 75gr VMax going 3800-3900fps, never seen a Dog fly so far!!

i got a ruger M77 Mark II in 25.06 and love mine shots .5moa all day everyday with 120 sierra game kings and 5 shot same hole groups with a 100gr smk with IMR 4831 and a cci benchrest primer

The right 25-06 has the capability of being a great long range rifle. I have shot one for more years than I care to remember. Try the 115 VLD or the 115 NBT over 54-56 gr R22 for extended ranges. That should get you around 3100-3200 fps.

Anyone who tells you that it is incapable of long range hunting evidently doesn't own one or has not spent much time behind one.

I hunted with one for a LONG time. For mostly open country they are wonderful for medium size game. I have read that some use them for larger game when thay are closer.

I agree with the statement above that there just isn't the right selection of projectiles to make it a real long range competition rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree with the statement above that there just isn't the right selection of projectiles to make it a real long range competition rifle. </div></div>

I could not agree more. A competition rifle it is <span style="font-weight: bold">not</span>. It seems that most bullet manufacturers do not give much attention to the .257 line of bullets. It is best left in the hunting fields which is right where I prefer it to be.

Personally, my vote goes to the improved version. But that's just me.

OP the 25/06 will get your buddy there. I've had a standard and an improved. Like its been said the selection is few on target bullets, there are 3 decent choices but who cares. While B.C. usually wins the battle at long range, the velocity of the 25/06 just about makes up for what it lacks in B.C. I would say the wind drift is similar to the 308 Win in real life, just from shooting side by side with .308 shooters at long range.

The accuracy you get is dependent on the rifle and components itself. I've had good luck with sierra and berger bullets, RL 19/22, Fed primers and Norma/Win brass. Try the 100 SMK they are easy to tune and they do group well at 1000 yards, just don't take too long in between shots if your shooting for group.