• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

25-06

308Dad

Private
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2021
USA
Who uses h4831 or h4831sc in seemingly light loads? I got Some data that seems like the start load is really light but it came from the bullet manufacturer. Is h4831 tolerant of reduced loads? Im only concerned because I looked in Lyman 49th and on Hodgdon website and both are significantly higher start loads.

I've been shooting a .25-06 AI 40º for about 10 years now. But I don't shoot light loads unless I'm fire-forming brass. I normally shoot CCI 200's and IMR 7828 SSC with Berger 115 VLD's.

Reactions: 308Dad
I like the 25-06 so much it’s hard to imagine improving it. I’m sure it’s faster just saying I like the cartridge as is. Nosler says start with 51.5gn h4831sc and OAL of 3.200” using their 85gn Ballistic Tip bullets. I notice my rifle likes them seated closer to the lands and I would hate to cause trouble if that powder is if the temperamental sort.

I like the 25-06 so much it’s hard to imagine improving it. I’m sure it’s faster just saying I like the cartridge as is. Nosler says start with 51.5gn h4831sc and OAL of 3.200” using their 85gn Ballistic Tip bullets. I notice my rifle likes them seated closer to the lands and I would hate to cause trouble if that powder is if the temperamental sort.
The AI 40º version is like throwing JP8 on a bonfire... It's one of the few cartridges that truly gains significantly over the standard version. My 26" .25-06 AI was within 75 FPS MV from my 26" .257 Weatherby Mag with the same bullets and powder. It's blistering, and a true laser beam. One of the main reasons I don't have a .257 Wby Mag anymore... Nearly identical ballistics, half the recoil, 2/3 the powder consumption, cheaper brass, etc...

It's worth the fire-forming and special dies. 👍🏼

Sorry, I'll quit derailing your thread. Wish I could help with your powder selection, but I hear great things about 4831sc in them.

The AI 40º version is like throwing JP8 on a bonfire... It's one of the few cartridges that truly gains significantly over the standard version. My 26" .25-06 AI was within 75 FPS MV from my 26" .257 Weatherby Mag with the same bullets and powder. It's blistering, and a true laser beam. One of the main reasons I don't have a .257 Wby Mag anymore... Nearly identical ballistics, half the recoil, 2/3 the powder consumption, cheaper brass, etc...

It's worth the fire-forming and special dies. 👍🏼

Sorry, I'll quit derailing your thread. Wish I could help with your powder selection, but I hear great things about 4831sc in them.
That’s cool. If I ever decide to move up the 25 cal ladder I’ll have to consider the 25-06 AI

Reactions: FuhQ
That’s cool. If I ever decide to move up the 25 cal ladder I’ll have to consider the 25-06 AI
It's worth it. 😏 Especially since BlackJack Bullets now sells 1:7 and 1:7.5" twist .257 barrel blanks for their 131 ACE and the new Berger 135 Elite .257 bullets. 😏

I have a 26" Proof Research .257 1:7.5" twist blank sitting here right now... Thinking about building a .25x284 Blackjack on a long-action 700 I have sitting in the safe. 🤔

It's worth it. 😏 Especially since BlackJack Bullets now sells 1:7 and 1:7.5" twist .257 barrel blanks for their 131 ACE and the new Berger 135 Elite .257 bullets. 😏

I have a 26" Proof Research .257 1:7.5" twist blank sitting here right now... Thinking about building a .25x284 Blackjack on a long-action 700 I have sitting in the safe. 🤔
That sounds pretty cool. I’ve been watching for a while and Remington 700 actions aren’t really cheap, you can usually get the whole rifle in a low end configuration for the same or less. I’ll wait til I catch one at a pawn shop or something nice and dusty then I’ll snatch it up and go down that rabbit hole.

That sounds pretty cool. I’ve been watching for a while and Remington 700 actions aren’t really cheap, you can usually get the whole rifle in a low end configuration for the same or less. I’ll wait til I catch one at a pawn shop or something nice and dusty then I’ll snatch it up and go down that rabbit hole.
I used to buy old 80's and 90's plastic stock ADL 700's in .270 and .30-06 for $200-250 all day long. I'd snatch them apart, order the BDL conversion parts and a barrel blank, take it all to the gunsmith and let him do his magic. Then I'd bring it back home, and do a trigger job myself on that old Walker/Remington wide-shoe trigger, and never have to spend a dime on that part of the build. I'd be all-in for less than $1,000 for a custom rifle. I miss those days... That was just 8-10 years ago things were like that. Now everything is ridiculous.

You might stumble upon one in a small mom & pop pawn shop in a small town for that cheap. If you do, buy it and build you a .25-06 AI, but make sure it's the 40º version. If you do, shoot me a PM, and I'll be glad to help share some tips and tricks for making your life MUCH simpler when prepping brass and fire-forming brass the easy way. I spent years with that trial & error, but I don't mind sharing the knowledge. 👍🏼

I used to buy old 80's and 90's plastic stock ADL 700's in .270 and .30-06 for $200-250 all day long. I'd snatch them apart, order the BDL conversion parts and a barrel blank, take it all to the gunsmith and let him do his magic. Then I'd bring it back home, and do a trigger job myself on that old Walker/Remington wide-shoe trigger, and never have to spend a dime on that part of the build. I'd be all-in for less than $1,000 for a custom rifle. I miss those days... That was just 8-10 years ago things were like that. Now everything is ridiculous.

You might stumble upon one in a small mom & pop pawn shop in a small town for that cheap. If you do, buy it and build you a .25-06 AI, but make sure it's the 40º version. If you do, shoot me a PM, and I'll be glad to help share some tips and tricks for making your life MUCH simpler when prepping brass and fire-forming brass the easy way. I spent years with that trial & error, but I don't mind sharing the knowledge. 👍🏼
Thanks. I’ll keep that in mind. Been making brass for my 25-06 by running 30-06 through my sizing die then trimming to length.