• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2520 yards. My furthest to date!!

mudvayne

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2011
Washington TX
Well guys I finally got a chance to attempt 2500 yards. I set my target up and drove to my mile firing line and lazered the opposite direction to the base of a hill. 740 yards. When I got to that spot the ground was angled just so that I couldnt see the target due to one tree limb in the way. So I moved over and back about 20 yards to a slight rise. Checked my GPS and again lazered the one mile firing line and figured Im at least 2520. I took several wind readings and put them into FTE. I was shooting in winds from 8' and shooting across a big valley and up a hill on the other side so I took off 2 MOA of vertical. Checked the wind one more time through the spotting scope and sent the first shot. It impacted about 1 foot high and 4 ft to the right. So I came down and left and sent another shot. I saw dirt kick up right at the target but throught the fixed 16x MK4 I couldnt tell exactly if it was high or low. So I did the same hold and the 3 shot hit the top left of the target!!!! Sweet! My farthes hit yet! Well my next 3 shots hit all around the target and it was just a matter of luck getting a hit as I couldnt tell what the wind was doing at target until I saw bullet splash. Well then I got lucky and connect two shots in a row, missed a shot then hit it a fourth time. Well then I went on a dry spell and missed 15 more shots all around the plate and decided to call it a day. So I fired 25 shots and got 4 hits at 2520. Not the best average but Im lucky to have hit it considering I went sub sonic just past 2000 yards. The berger hybrid transitioned extremely well in my opinion. All impacts were nose first into the target.

2520.jpg

Re: 2520 yards. My furthest to date!!

Congrats!

What and where we're you shooting?

Nice Chase. We need to get out and shoot again when you get back from the PRS event. I can't wait to see what my 6.5 can do.

JW he is shooting a 338 Norma that is pushing 300 grain Bergers.

Hell ya man! Good shootin. I wish we had open public lands. The farthest i can shoot is 1800. Now see if you can push it to a 75% hit ratio.
smile.gif

nice work! what was your come up for 2520? Glad to see those hybrids working well at slower speeds.

Quite the challenge. Congrats.

Thanks guys! Considering the wind gusts I was good to connect on the plate at all. And keep in mind I was subsonic not too far past 2K...but I had to dial up 118 and 17 moa left to connect. I played with the wind quite a bit..one hit I had on only 11 moa and the rest I had on 17 left. I had my scope maxed out in vertical so if I want to go any longer, I will have to hold over or shell out the money for a USO SN9!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mudvayne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... if I want to go any longer, I will have to ... shell out the money for a USO SN9! </div></div>

Nice work! You know you won't be happy until you do this so you might as well get it on order!

Ya Jonathan your right...that or just build the viersco mag and put the SN9 on it!

Congratulations on a find days shooting.
I bet the first hit put a smile on your dial.
grin.gif

Now I wonder how you would go on a dead still day under perfect conditions?

Veryy nice shooting, could you see your misses impact the ground pretty well, was the ground dry enough to see a small plumb of dust or was it moist enough that you could identify impacts?

I'm wondering if a 375 cheytac is beter suited to 2500 yard shooting the 338 norma really hasn't got much leftat that range??

Yes, a .375CT will still be supersonic at that distance. Congrats on that accomplishment. Getting into the "my shots take 3-4 seconds to get to the target" club is addictive.

mudvayne,
i would like to know the velocity your pushing those 300 OTM's, along with the powder and charge if you will???

There is no doubt in my mind the 375 would stomp my 338 at that range! I just shoot too much to afford the reloading on a cheytac. Maybe I'll do a 375 Viersco next and shoot it only at 2000+

And also I dont know if I would have done any better in "perfect conditions" Im pretty much a realist and the odds of getting perfect conditions when going for a shot like this are about rare as hens teeth. And I dont know if I would have done any better in low winds either. Just have to get lucky one day when the winds are down and mirage is low.

The impacts were very easy to see at this range. I could see white powder kick 2-3 feet in the air on the impacts as the hill I put the target on had nothing but small white rocks.

Dogtown, I have shot my 7 mag out to 2200 with the 175 XLD and did indeed get a, as in singular, hit in 20 attempts. The bullet impacted sideways. Also I shot my 6.5x47 at 2000 and that was humerous to see the 130 berger get pushed around and tumble at that range. It did indeed impact sideways also. I only got one hit on a larue at that range and shot at it about 15-20 shots. Its futile with that bullet combo past about 1800. It did hold together quite well at a mile and that surprised me!

So, manbearpig, I must have missed it, but what was the rifle/caliber combination that you were using? Even if you were using a .50BMG, that is quite a feat of shooting you did there. Better than I could do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longguntoter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, manbearpig, I must have missed it, but what was the rifle/caliber combination that you were using? Even if you were using a .50BMG, that is quite a feat of shooting you did there. Better than I could do.</div></div>

I caught that it was a .338, but no clue to what variant. Lapua, Xtreme, Edge????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertrat1979</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longguntoter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, manbearpig, I must have missed it, but what was the rifle/caliber combination that you were using? Even if you were using a .50BMG, that is quite a feat of shooting you did there. Better than I could do.</div></div>

I caught that it was a .338, but no clue to what variant. Lapua, Xtreme, Edge???? </div></div>Norma.

Good shooting!

Ok gents I forgot to include my rifle specs in my excitement! Here it is again:

Stiller Tac 338 left handed action
Badger bottom metal with AICS mags
Vais muzzle break as my bolt knob
Timney Straight post match trigger
Schneider 1-9 twist at 28" tipped with a fat bastard muzzle break
McMillan A5 with sniper fill
Stiller 40 moa base
Near alpha mount with 20moa cant built in
Leupold MK4 16x40
300 Berger hybrid @2803 fps( i have pushed them as hot as 2940 but I get WAY better accuracy at the lower speed)

Maverick

Skinney Im at 89.0 of H1000. This is a mild load for me. I have some N570 I want to try when I can shoot through my buddies pvm21 again. Supposed to be the ticket with velocity and pressure!

thanks man...
i'm getting in the mid 2800's using a little over 85 with RL-22... with the 300 otm's

Here's a email I sent to a friend of mine a couple years ago with some 338norma mag info.

"Had a little time to mess around today and worked up 2 different powders to compare to my ramshot mag load. I've been using ramshot because the vol spreads are always less than 10fps and usually closer to 6 to 7fps. My load is 91.5gn 215m or win large mag(ran out but it works great with this ball powder) seated to 3.65 OAL. Velocity average 2763.

Both of the following loads were loaded with Fed 215m and a 3.65 oal with 300gn scenars

Retumbo
The load I ended up with was 92 grains 92.5 gave signs of pressure. this load gave me a average velocity of 2853 with a spread 23fps(this was a compressed load but not bad so I was expecting a little, I had one round drop 8fps lower then the next lowest which screwed it. Otherwise it would of had a spread of 15).

Vit n570
I ended up with 93.5, backed off .5 grains from first sign of pressure same as above. This load gave me a average velocity of 2917 with a 11fps spread. Its a dirty powder but man its impressive considering the velocity gains and the standard deviation."

My R22 load was 84gn.

This is out of a 26" barrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C.K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a email I sent to a friend of mine a couple years ago with some 338norma mag info.

"Had a little time to mess around today and worked up 2 different powders to compare to my ramshot mag load. I've been using ramshot because the vol spreads are always less than 10fps and usually closer to 6 to 7fps. My load is 91.5gn 215m or win large mag(ran out but it works great with this ball powder) seated to 3.65 OAL. Velocity average 2763.

Both of the following loads were loaded with Fed 215m and a 3.65 oal with 300gn scenars

Retumbo
The load I ended up with was 92 grains 92.5 gave signs of pressure. this load gave me a average velocity of 2853 with a spread 23fps(this was a compressed load but not bad so I was expecting a little, I had one round drop 8fps lower then the next lowest which screwed it. Otherwise it would of had a spread of 15).

Vit n570
I ended up with 93.5, backed off .5 grains from first sign of pressure same as above. This load gave me a average velocity of 2917 with a 11fps spread. Its a dirty powder but man its impressive considering the velocity gains and the standard deviation."

My R22 load was 84gn.

This is out of a 26" barrel </div></div>

I did the same transition from Retumbo to N570. I don't see why people say it's a dirty powder, however I also don't clean my rifle but once every 100 rounds or so (338LM, so it takes me a few days to shoot 100 rounds). I also gained some speed, about 100fps, with no signs of pressure, whereas Retumbo was showing signs of pressure. Are you sure about those speeds... I have a 27"+ barrel, and my speeds are in the 2760fps region for a 300gn Scenar and for sure no more than 94 grains of N570 (i don't have my reloading book w/me). Those sound more like speeds you'd get with the 250gn Scenar.

Thanks ammo!

I have 89-92 gr loaded of the N570. I have a 28" barrel and will post my velocities as soon as I get them through a chrono

Maverick

Gratz man, glad you finally got her out there to stretch her legs! and nice shooting at that. Still looking foward to some trigger time with you....let me know when you get some available time.

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brado16</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mud- Curious to the size of the steel you were shooting at? </div></div>The plate is 24" wide and 18" tall

Maverick

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C.K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a email I sent to a friend of mine a couple years ago with some 338norma mag info.

Retumbo

Vit n570

My R22 load was 84gn.

This is out of a 26" barrel </div></div>
CK: I've been wondering about the temperature stability of the Ramshot Magnum powder. Is it consistewnt over a wide range of temperatures or does it give you 2760 fps at 70° and 2700 fps at 32° I've heard that Retumbo is very stable across all the temperatures but I haven't heard anything about Ramshot or n570. I think the velocity spreads are so small for Ramshot because it's easier to measure accurately.

almost as far as me with a .22 keep practicing youll get it.

Shoot for fun I have a 3200 yard range on my place. When I build a Viersco or Allen mag I will attempt 3000+