• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.257 Raptor

x2cross

Joe Dirtè
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 13, 2020
    Mathis, TX

Just wanted to share this. Designed by Arne Brennan, the mastermind behind the 6.5Grendel. It's designed to provide better long-range hunting performance than the Grendel, while using all standard AR15 parts. Brass is formed from .222 or .223, Arne says its a lil bit easier to start with 222 brass

I had a short email conversation with him, and COVID really put a lid on him getting the dies and everything released for this round. As soon as everything is available, I'm building one for sure and will post results here

Yeah, its very close to the Sharps version. I want to try it out and get the actual ballistics and see how the energy compares to the others. I feel that even if it takes off, it's gonna run into alot of competition with the 6ARC and the fanclub it already has

Only appeal to me would be slightly easier to identify when sorting empty brass. Reloading 223, 6x45, and 25-45 was not a good move on my part. Plus side is 223 brass is always free at my local range.

I run the 90gr Sierra Gamekings at 2900FPS in a 20" barrel and have to use a drop tube to get enough powder in there. They are a short bullet, right at mag limit, and HOT. I'd imagine using a sleeker bullet like the 90 Blitzkings, 100 Nosler BTs and you'd get 2800/2700 respectively. The difference between this and 6ARC is significant. This is for the poor reloader that doesn't like buying brass or non standard parts.

Reactions: x2cross
    Not to sidetrack this too much, but I have an AR chambered in another one of his cartridges, 45 Raptor (basically it's rimless 460 S&W), and it's awesome. An absolute blast to shoot. I built it a few years ago, and I had some questions just about loading the ammo for it, I emailed them and I don't know who it was that replied back but they were very helpful.

Reactions: x2cross
    Only appeal to me would be slightly easier to identify when sorting empty brass. Reloading 223, 6x45, and 25-45 was not a good move on my part. Plus side is 223 brass is always free at my local range.

I run the 90gr Sierra Gamekings at 2900FPS in a 20" barrel and have to use a drop tube to get enough powder in there. They are a short bullet, right at mag limit, and HOT. I'd imagine using a sleeker bullet like the 90 Blitzkings, 100 Nosler BTs and you'd get 2800/2700 respectively. The difference between this and 6ARC is significant. This is for the poor reloader that doesn't like buying brass or non standard parts.
    Yup, poor reloader describes me haha. I was looking at building a 6mm ARC, but read the bulletin that White Oak posted about the bolt lugs not being able to handle hot loads. That kinda turned me off about that cartridge. I need a new barrel on my AR eventually anyway, and it'll be nice not to have to replace anything but the barrel.

Reactions: Constructor
    If you do get into it, its dumb easy to form. Just run through the full length sizing die and that's all. You don't need the conversion die that RCBS sells. I have it and never use it.

That's what I gathered. I like new cartridges as much as the next guy, but this seems to be splitting the hairs pretty thin for an already niche area.
    Don't think I would like a shorter x45 Case like .257 Raptor . I been running a .257x45 AR for several years . It runs great with 87 grain Speer and 75 gr. Vmax's .
    Biggest thing with 25x45 I like, is that I can keep the barrel on short side with 16" long on the AR for suppressor . still get easy comfortable 2700+ Vel. with 87 grn tnt's and 16" barrel . Plus the abundance of .223 Brass and easy fast neck-up's is no brainer on handloading .

Yeah, its very close to the Sharps version. I want to try it out and get the actual ballistics and see how the energy compares to the others. I feel that even if it takes off, it's gonna run into alot of competition with the 6ARC and the fanclub it already has
    The only thing it really shares with the 257 Raptor is the base case to form it. Really different round with a great marketing spin. The 257 Ocelot is closer to the Raptor in design and overall function.

If barrels or related stuff becomes available, I want to be notified. I tried to build/buy one about 6 months back but, I didn't have any luck. Pre-COVID, I spoke with Arne and he steered me pretty hard to the 7mm Raptor but, I'm really thinking the 257 Raptor is a better choice for me.

That being said, if the 257 Raptor doesn't become available in the next 12 months or so, I'll have a 7 Raptor built if I can source what I need. COVID has really thrown a wrench in my AR-15 plans so, I'm patient at this point and I'm willing to wait for the right round to become available for a reasonable period of time post-COVID.

The dedicated websites are gone. I am wondering these are DOA
    Most likely did not build the following they thought on that 25 variant .
    But... last Friday I just re-barreled to another 16" 3P 10-1 twist .257x45 again .

If you want to spit .257 pills for LR, you’ll want a larger case.

Things are changing with the .257” bullet types to make it very appealing, especially 131gr ACE, 133gr and 135gr Bergers.

You have to go to a 144gr 6.5mm Berger to reach the BC of the .257” 135gr Berger.

I personally don’t like the 140gr class in 6.5mm-08 class, even though many go to that as a staple.

130gr is where 6.5-08 (.260, 6.5x47, 6.5CM) shines for me.

A .222/.223 Rem based case might be cool with the 115gr Berger in .257”, but that doesn’t take advantage of the latest quarter-bore VLDs.

A nice little 2.500” COL action/magazine would really do the quarterbore well.

135gr Berger will beat the 6.5s even shot from a smaller case capacity, and trounces the 6mms for energy-on-target and wind drift as well.

6mm 115gr VLD doesn’t even come close to the .257” 135gr Berger.

If you want to spit .257 pills for LR, you’ll want a larger case.

Things are changing with the .257” bullet types to make it very appealing, especially 131gr ACE, 133gr and 135gr Bergers.

You have to go to a 144gr 6.5mm Berger to reach the BC of the .257” 135gr Berger.

I personally don’t like the 140gr class in 6.5mm-08 class, even though many go to that as a staple.

130gr is where 6.5-08 (.260, 6.5x47, 6.5CM) shines for me.

A .222/.223 Rem based case might be cool with the 115gr Berger in .257”, but that doesn’t take advantage of the latest quarter-bore VLDs.

A nice little 2.500” COL action/magazine would really do the quarterbore well.

135gr Berger will beat the 6.5s even shot from a smaller case capacity, and trounces the 6mms for energy-on-target and wind drift as well.

6mm 115gr VLD doesn’t even come close to the .257” 135gr Berger.

shocking that BC grows with heavy for caliber bullets
    115 to 135 to 153.5
    .61 to .65 to .69 G1 BCs

then you have 190s at .751 and 245s at .846

always gonna trade off with speed, recoil, energy, drop, and drift

Reactions: LRRPF52 and JS8588
    Quarterbore is the most neglected diameter of them all, even though it has the most potential for the medium-small cartridges for varmint, medium/large game, and LR.

You can sling the lightweight varmint pills like a 6mm, then out-class the 140gr 6.5mm with the new 131-135gr bullets.

Hornady just came out with a 134gr ELD-M as well. .325/.645

Reactions: Earnhardt
    Quarterbore is the most neglected diameter of them all, even though it has the most potential for the medium-small cartridges for varmint, medium/large game, and LR.

You can sling the lightweight varmint pills like a 6mm, then out-class the 140gr 6.5mm with the new 131-135gr bullets.

Hornady just came out with a 134gr ELD-M as well. .325/.645
    assuming Hornady/Berger make factory ammo and Proof makes prefits they'll see an increase i bet

it's no different than the 7SAW. i can shoot scorching fast 120gr bullets or heavy 180s all from an AICS mag. granted thats probably going up a size in big game species compared to a 25cal

a 25CM (or 25SAW) would be the perfect smaller game/varmint complement to my 7SAW. and then i can always throw a magnum 7mm on if i want to be more confident on elk past the 700ish yards the 7SAW has 1500ftlb of energy at

assuming Hornady/Berger make factory ammo and Proof makes prefits they'll see an increase i bet

it's no different than the 7SAW. i can shoot scorching fast 120gr bullets or heavy 180s all from an AICS mag. granted thats probably going up a size in big game species compared to a 25cal

a 25CM (or 25SAW) would be the perfect smaller game/varmint complement to my 7SAW. and then i can always throw a magnum 7mm on if i want to be more confident on elk past the 700ish yards the 7SAW has 1500ftlb of energy at
    Love my 7 SAW for this reason too. A ton of versatility in a true short action cartridge.

You want to see a crazy 7mm Short Action?

My buddy made his own wildcat 7mm WSSM called 7 Micro. Competed and placed in the top 100 Nationally in PRS.

He said he made it for ROs so there’s no doubt if he impacted or not. Shoots 195gr EOLs from it to boot. It’s brutal on steel, feels like shooting 7mm-08 to me.

He had to do a lot of tweaks to get it to feed reliably though for matches. He shot sub-MOA out to 1716yds with it. Cool little fat cartridge.

Arne had some personal health issues so, life priorities changed. Scott Medesha Firearms has been very slow to respond due to COVID (heard there he was sick and other family members passed away).
    Indeed. Life has been rough for both.

However, I did talk with Arne the other day and he is working towards doing 257 Raptor stuff again.

I would be tempted to try the 257 and 7 raptor, but I am not sure I gain much over my 300 HAMR for hunting use.

If only I had more time and money.