• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

260 Ackley Improved Build

grifter95

Private
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2009
Statesboro Georgia, USA
Been lurking for a while....finally decided to post.
Just got my second custom build by Collier Rifles. It is in 260 Ackley Improved built on a surgeon action. I am very satisfied. <span style="font-weight: bold">And he got it done in less than a month from when I gave him the go ahead!</span> I was stunned. He did tell me that some of the components that usually take a while to get (ie Krieger barrel, hs precision stock, etc) did come in faster than expected. If anyone needs a rifle built, or any custom work done, you really need to give Collier Rifles a shot. You won't be disappointed! Wow this thing is awesome looking and shoots great! I've gotten four different loads that all grouped under .5MOA and one was right at .25 MOA!

I know what the first comment is going to be.... "where are the pictures"..... so I am going to be taking a bunch in the morning and will try to get them posted by tomorrow night. Sorry if I'm overly excited.... but I am just really impressed!

Re: 260 Ackley Improved Build

You'll like the 260 AI. High BC bullets combined with high velocities is a match made in heaven. Slinging 139gr Scenars to 1500 yards is always impressive.

As promised I am posting some photographs below. I have to say this was an awesome experience. Collier Rifles is only about 30 minutes from both my house and work. This, and Mr. Collier's courtesy, allowed me to stop in and see the status of my build frequently. It was really neat getting to see it all come together and feel like I was "part of the build team". Mr. Collier was very open to all my questions and took the time to make sure I had all the information about any decisions I had with the setup of the rifle. This was really important to me as this rifle was a big investment for me.
However, he also had several other builds in the shop that the customers had simply given him the specs and he was building. So whether you want a very personally involved build, or simply a "turn-key" build, Mr. Collier will not disappoint.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Rifle Spe</span>cs:</span>

The Rifle is chambered in 260 Ackely Improved with the throat set for 140gr at 2.825" OAL with no need for neck turning. The action is a Surgeon RSR action with the surgeon 20 MOA scope mount. Timney trigger set at 1 lb 12 oz. The floor metal is Surgeon which accepts AI magazines. The stock was not inletted for the Surgeon floor metal from the factory. So Mr. Collier inletted it to accept this much larger floor metal flawlessly. The stock is a HS Precision Sendero stock in olive green with black splatter. The stock has a Karsten Model B cheek piece installed. The barrel is a flutted Krieger barrel which measures 26 inches. The end is threaded 5/8"x24tpi. An Advanced Armament 762-SD muzzle break was installed to allow my 762-SD silencer to be used. The rings are Burris Xtreme Tactical lows holding a Zeiss 4.5-14x50 scope equipped with the Rapid-Z 800 reticle and Butler Creek scope covers. The rifle also has a Harris BR bipod installed. The metal was finished with Cera Coat which resulted in a flawless finish that should be unbelievably resistant.

DSCF0238.jpg

DSCF0239.jpg

DSCF0240.jpg

DSCF0241.jpg

DSCF0246.jpg

DSCF0242.jpg

And the most important part of the rifle is how it shoots.
Amazing!
It groups really well with and without the silencer attached. Any the threading was done with such precision that the shift is very minimal. Left to right shift was less than a 1/4" at 100 yards.
DSCF0248.jpg

Without Silencer (5 Shot Group)

DSCF0249.jpg

With Silencer (5 Shot Group)

Congrats on a nice rifle, and nice shooting. Welcome to the 'Hide.

Fill out your profile.

Welcome to SH. Great looking rifle and nice pictures too. What part of GA? Looks like south GA piney woods.

Nice! I really like it. I was under the impression that one could use AW mags with a surgeon...?

What's your load with the .260 AI? Velocity and bullet?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice! I really like it. I was under the impression that one could use AW mags with a surgeon...?

What's your load with the .260 AI? Velocity and bullet?</div></div>

Not yet Sal though someone mentioned that Surgeon may be working on something that will take AW mags, currently theirs are only capable of being fed by the AI, there are smiths that can mill the action to accept AW though...

DD

Salmonaxe,
Both loads are using IMR 7828 powder. I believe the top groups is 45.5gr and the bottom is 46.0 grains if I'm not mistaken. Haven't chronographed those loads yet. But I pushed some of the loads up to the mid 2900's before I saw any signs of pressures. So those loads should be between 2750 and 2850 fps I believe.

hrmm. I see that you listed it was throated for a 140gr bullet, but I'm not certain what type. Berger?

Compared to my 6.5x47L with 123gr SMK's running at just over 3000ft/s that's only a little better. I was hoping that it would be a bit more.

Of course this 3000k load was going 100ft/s faster than I'd documented. I'm guessing that since I did load development in freezing temperatures, it messed up my data a bit. Made 1k pretty easy and fun though.

(Really liking the 6.5x47L)

Salmonaxe,
It is actually throated for the 140gr Nosler Custom Competitions. I got a great deal on 2000 of them, and they shoot great...so I'm happy.

Loaded up some 140gr Accubonds today using the same recipe as the 140gr Nosler Custom Competitions. I didn't even have to adjust the scope any to re-zero. That really made me happy. And they groups under 1/2" at 125yds with a quick five shot group. Bambi's daddy better watch out come saturday! (rifle season starts here on saturday)