• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.260 Ackley?

SilencercoJames

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
May 30, 2008
kearns, ut, 84118
I am toying with the idea of my first improved cartridge. I would love to go for the .260 but am inexperienced in the fireforming stage of reloading. I have been reading all i can for a while now and figured i would just ask for what i cant find.

So, on the initial firing of lets say, remington .260 brass, the case will be blown out to chamber dimensions. From then on the cases will only be neck sized until they will no longer feed in the action as which time they will be ran through a .260 FL die and then need to be refireformed?

Is this the correct method of forming improved brass?

Thanks for any help.

Re: .260 Ackley?

You got part of it right, just load the 260 brass just as you normally would then fire them in the improved rifle. If you can seat the bullets to touch the lands your cases should form better because of the pressure increase.

Once you have formed the cases you CAN neck size the brass for a few firings but eventually you'll need to bump the shoulder back. To do this correctly you'll need a 260 AI die. This way it won't reshape the shoulder in turn over working the brass.

Re: .260 Ackley?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bloody_Tailgate</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You got part of it right, just load the 260 brass just as you normally would then fire them in the improved rifle. If you can seat the bullets to touch the lands your cases should form better because of the pressure increase.

Once you have formed the cases you CAN neck size the brass for a few firings but eventually you'll need to bump the shoulder back. To do this correctly you'll need a 260 AI die. This way it won't reshape the shoulder in turn over working the brass. </div></div>
Correct.
If you have the time and don't mind the extra effort, then go for it. You will only gain about 75-100 fps over the standard 260 Rem. IMO, it's not worth the added benefit.