• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

260 build on long action

dk-1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2007
Central, Ca.
I currently shoot a 260 built on a 700 short action and it shoots lights out. I wanted to run berger 140 VLD's exclusivley so I had it chambered with PT&G's "tight match" reamer with a .295 neck and .060 free bore. The 140s just barely fit and function in the mag seated to the lands, but I found they shoot great .010 from the lands.

My question is this; I have a 30-06 ADL sitting in the safe, never fired it, hell it doesn't even have an optic! I've been think lately that I should just use the action for my next build, but not settled on what to chamber it in. I'm thinking of going with another 260 but chambering it to SAAMI specs. That way I could gain case capacity by seating the bullets out another .050 or so but I wouldn't have to worry about mag length. I know it has been said that long actions are not as rigid as short actions therefor give up some accurracy. Is that the way it really is in the real world, or another internet rumor?

Am I overlooking anything else?

with a light recoiling round like the .260, the rigidity of the long action would not be an issue.

If I had a long action and wanted a 6.5, I'd opt for the 6.5x55. It will push the heavies considerably faster than the .260 but won't burn out a throat as fast as a 6.5x284

Tag this thread for later, ive been debating doing similar with a savage 110 long action. Also thinking of the 6.5x55

Here's a thought, run a 6.5 X 57. You would be able to easily form brass from 6mm Remington, .257 Roberts (especially the +P brass), and 7 X 57. The 6.5 X 57 is a standard chambering in Europe.

Advantages would be plenty of room in a standard length action to seat the bullets as far out as you want, a much longer neck than a .260 which allows you to keep the bullet bearing surface well clear of the neck/shoulder junction area, and you should be able to use slower powders to get decent velocity at lower pressure with a longer barrel (26"-28"). It would make a pretty good 1,000 yard chambering.

Tikka T3 actions are all the same length, I believe they just use a different bolt catch to alter how far the bolt cycles to the rear for different length chamberings. They're a really nice factory action, and you can usually pick up long action 'hunting' caliber ones for cheap to use as a donor.

On 700 Short actions, I've seen where people will mill a small clearance slot in the bottom of the feed ramp to provide clearance for longer COAL's. Some people scoff at the idea and claim it's weakening the action, but the truth is that the end of the feed ramp has almost zero effect on the functional strength of the action. This would keep you in a Short Action 700 for the better parts & stock availability versus the Long ones. If you plan to run a DBM you're somewhat limited on COAL anyway, since there aren't many good detachable mags readily available for long action non-magnum cartridges.

-matt

If I had a long action and wanted a 6.5, I'd opt for the 6.5x55. It will push the heavies considerably faster than the .260 but won't burn out a throat as fast as a 6.5x284

This. I'm waiting on my 6.5x55 in a Sako long action to arrive shortly. Had it cut specifically for the Berger 140s and I can seat em way out there with room left over. And Lapua brass is cheap.

Last edited:
Another option would be to notch the front of your current action and take the front plate out of AI mags assuming thats what your running. The front plate frees up between .070-.080" of room but only helps if the action has a notch for the bullet. If you have ever seen the bottom of a Surgeon action it is already notched.

Thanks for the replies so far, great points!

My short action is already notched and I am using AI mags. I'm at the limits now in a short action.

I thought about other chamberings/calibers, but short of going 338 something or other, 6.5's rule in BC.

Yes, the M24 7.62x51 is built on a long action.

I run a .260 with a .150" freebore, .298" neck in a 26" Bartlein. It's screwed in an AI action, and I run Alpha Type 2 mags. The extra freebore allows me to run considerably above listed max charge weight even in Lapua brass. I was able to get a 140 Amax above 2,900 fps with no pressure signs this way.

I had a Surgeon rig before I went to AI. I considered going with a Surgeon long action for the case capacity and potential to switch to a .284 down the road.

The extra case capacity really lets the .260 shine. One of the main reasons the 6.5 CM is so competitive with the .260 in a short action is due to the bullet eating up real estate in the case.

I'd consider a straight 6.5-06 before a 6.5x55 or .260 on a LA. A guy could run the 140s up to 3050, or keep them at 2900 to save the throat. 25-06 brass is cheap, and the extra velocity on tap would be nice. Pretty much a win/win.

I'd consider a straight 6.5-06 before a 6.5x55 or .260 on a LA. A guy could run the 140s up to 3050, or keep them at 2900 to save the throat. 25-06 brass is cheap, and the extra velocity on tap would be nice. Pretty much a win/win.

I don't have mine yet but from what I understand the 6.5x55 will hold those numbers you're quoting for the 6.5-06 especially that 2900 mark and still be easy on the throat. Not sure but that's what I've been told. Guess I'm about to find out.

L

I'd be a bit surprised to see 2900+ with a 140 via a 6.5x55, but wouldn't totally doubt it.

Good luck, either way! Should be a fun one.

Id go with 6.5-06 as well, I picked one up and it shoots lights out. I just find 30-06 brass at the range, size it, and shoot

As others have mentioned barrel life is your only limiting factor when you step up. Tell us more about what you are planning to do with the rifle. how many rounds per year and per outing.

I'm in the process of building a 260 rem on a long action, only cause that's what I have. I could of went with 6.5x55 but just went plain jane 260. Building a nice all around rifle that's not too heavy. I do have other rifles that have more horsepower if needed (7saum). I would say if you want long action, go for it.

I have a .270 rem in the safe myself and about a year ago I started talking to some people on here about doing the same thing. There was one guy who really gave me a lot of good info about the advantages and disadvantages of building with this caliber. Magazines came up and he said you could modify the feed lips on 300wm AI mags and they will run just fine. He had built and competed with the caliber for some time and was very informative. Bill Larson was his screen name but I haven't seen him on here in a while.

Good luck with your build and keep me posted on how it goes. I still haven't given up on the caliber.

I don't know if you have checked brass prices but the 6.5x55 brass is cheap as you get!

you guys make me get that warm feelin all over when you talk 6.5x55 !!!! yew!!!
been shooting mine since 1985, shee'll be 00 years old in 2017 !
still shoots under an inch at 100 cant tell how many deer have fallen to it and i take her to thunder valley
a couple of times thru the year just to see the eye brows raise when she pecks away at the 700 yard steel

IMG_0012.jpg

As others have mentioned barrel life is your only limiting factor when you step up. Tell us more about what you are planning to do with the rifle. how many rounds per year and per outing.

Yes, barrel life......
Planned uses for this rifle would be: work up a great load, confirm dope out to say 1250 yards, check cold bore, confirm load/dope in various conditions, then its a long range hunter. My current 260 is shot almost weekly, as I have a 1200 yard range at my house. Possibly some matches in the future with using most dialed system. I really should build a .308 for ringing steel, but I grew bored of my last two 308's. As soon as the gun market stabilizes I plan to build a 6.5 Grendel AR which would be ballistically similar to a 308 and fun as hell to shoot.

If you have a king action sitting around I would turn it into you long range hunter and give it every advantage I possibly could. As you know cold bore hits at distance are very hard to make and any chance to cheat some wind would be well served. Now weather you want to stay 6.5 or bump up to 7mm. Is up to you. I also wouldn't limit myself to the action I have in the safe.

I would then shoot out your 260 and build something like a 223AI. Remember the whole point if a trainer is to get better at reading wind. With the 260 you don't have to hold for as
Much wind at closer distances.

If it was me and mine I would be shooting a 7mm something and have a fun trainer.

If you have a king action sitting around I would turn it into you long range hunter and give it every advantage I possibly could. As you know cold bore hits at distance are very hard to make and any chance to cheat some wind would be well served. Now weather you want to stay 6.5 or bump up to 7mm. Is up to you. I also wouldn't limit myself to the action I have in the safe.

I would then shoot out your 260 and build something like a 223AI. Remember the whole point if a trainer is to get better at reading wind. With the 260 you don't have to hold for as
Much wind at closer distances.

If it was me and mine I would be shooting a 7mm something and have a fun trainer.

No need to step DOWN to a 223 anything in a bolt gun.... I have an MOA capable AR that I play in the wind with. What about 280 for the long action? Will I get the velocity needed to take full advantage of 180 VLD's? I figure I will need to push them at 2800 fps or better to gain any real advantage over my 260.
I

I would be looking 284 or 280AI. You can pick up Nosler 280AI brass so no need to fireform. If you want to be able to pick ammo off the shelf then stick with plain old 280. Any of those will out run a 260 and then you get to keep your 260 as is.

The more I read on the straight 284 the more intriguing it becomes, same for the 280, both seem like a hell of a round for long range that carries some weight behind it