• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

260 Lapua Neck Tension Question

jugi16

Private
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2011
So I have a question for you guys. I am shooting 260 Lapua brass out of my PGW Coyote. When I am seating bullets now, I can tell the difference in force it takes to seat them. Some feel like butter others feel slightly forced.

I'd say I have 7 times on the 100 lot of brass now. I only neck size with a Lee Collet die and I use a torque wrench on the handle. I've neck turned the brass to put this out of the equation at 400 rounds with my Sinclair neck turner. Waste of time....... I maybe took off 0.00075 on the necks (Quality Brass) . No change in seating, still get 30% that feel stiff to seat.

Any of you guys feel this? I'm trying to track down some unexplained fliers.........

Thanks

Sounds like perhaps its work hardening after 7 firings. Try annealing the necks, expand the necks and then size the necks. These should seat sweet every one after that. I do this with my Lapua brass and ive never had a problem like this. See how you go as i anneal after every third firing, it doesn't take long to do.

Thanks DeSilva

If I have to anneal after three firings on Lapua brass I'll buy some other brass. They shouldn't work harden neck sizing 0.002 after firing.

I just had the same thing with my lapua brass. I just annealed all of them, and they are right back to the way they were on there first and second reloading. All my brass had about 9 reloads on them.

Thanks Guys

I guess I have to start annealing my brass.

So I have a question for you guys. I am shooting 260 Lapua brass out of my PGW Coyote. When I am seating bullets now, I can tell the difference in force it takes to seat them. Some feel like butter others feel slightly forced.

I'd say I have 7 times on the 100 lot of brass now. I only neck size with a Lee Collet die and I use a torque wrench on the handle. I've neck turned the brass to put this out of the equation at 400 rounds with my Sinclair neck turner. Waste of time....... I maybe took off 0.00075 on the necks (Quality Brass) . No change in seating, still get 30% that feel stiff to seat.

Any of you guys feel this? I'm trying to track down some unexplained fliers.........

Thanks

Are you wet cleaning them with stainless steel media?

Might be removing the slick carbon build up from the inside of the necks, leaving raw brass, which isn't quite as slick?

Chris