• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing .260 modified case

Bowhunter1983

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2013
southeast Texas
ive been trying to find a modified case for a .260 rem. anyone know someone that has one in stock. i have also thought about drilling and tapping one of my cases has anyone done this is it easy or even possible?

It is possible....I've done exactly that. I can't remember off the top of my head what the thread pitch was, but I remember it was an oddball. I ordered the tap from MSC and make all my own modified cases.

I couldn't find one either back in march. The thread size is oddball, had a buddy make a modified case for his 20br, ended up finding the tap on the internet. My solution is easier and i have done this for 260 and 308. Size a piece of brass for the cartridge needed, then use a air cutoff to put a notch on each side of the nk. The notch needs to go just below the nk/shoulder junction. Smooth out the burrs, inside and out. Might have to slightly bend the nk in to get tension on bullet. Stick bullet of choice in it by hand, leaving it longer then necessary chamber it and measure it. I usually do that 3-4 times for accuracy sake. The first time usually results in a longer measurement but the tension corrects itself and the next 2 or3 times measured result in repeated results. The best part it costs zero and takes just a few minutes to do.

The hardest part about making one is getting a good neck tension so the bullet will slide, but not fall out. Usually if you have a fired, unsized case, you can just barely start it into the neck sizer and it will work, but may take some finessing.

Excuse my ignorance but i dont understand what a modified case is or used for....can anyone explain that

I just made one. I used a 3/16 drill bit (actually calls for an oddball size that I didn't have, but this works) and drilled out the flashhole of a fired case and threaded it. You want a loose neck so that the bullet will slide up to the lands easily without any pressure. This makes for more consistent measurements.

I rethreaded my stoney point to 5/16 24, no need to buy a special tap....