• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.260 on a long action

Dot3

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 31, 2021
NC
I’ve searched all over looking for a little bit of info on loading for .260 Remington using IMR 4955 (or 4451). I haven’t seen a whole lot of real world info yet beyond what Hodgdon has listed but I’m hoping someone can shed a little light.

Im just a few weeks away from picking up a new build that is on a long action. 26” Brux 8 twist on a Remington 700. My dummy rounds measured over 3”, of course that’ll change but I will definitely be able to seat bullets out long.

I have several pounds of both IMR 4451 and 4955. I have several hundred each of Berger hybrid 140s, ELD-M 140s, Hornady BTHP 140s and SMK 150s. I’m hoping to find something with 4955; am I on to something with having more case capacity? Also, anyone have any idea what kind of velocity to expect with the bullet seated out further?

You’ll probably be able to make it work. Just use regular 260 load data and work up. 4955 is almost identical to H4831.