• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

260 rem, 7mm08 which to choose

TEAMSENDIT

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 22, 2008
    whidbey island
    well i have typical rifle a.d.d. and am going to build a new rifle which will be a skunkworks 911 standalone action with cg jackson trigger in a manner t5a with chassis, and of course a benchmark barrel. i will be running aw mags so i will have alittle over 2.9" to play with. i was planning on the 260 but for some reason i always strive to be alittle different, plus my current match rifle is a 6x47 lapua which isn't that much different than the 260. i recently built a 284 and really like it, but dont think the casing will work well in aw mags so i am considering the 7mm-08. i really like the 162 amaxs and would be building the barrel to shoot them.

so i am looking for opinions and experiences with the 7mm-08 with the heavy bullets. i don't know what velocities to expect the the different calibers. please let me know barrel lengths and twists. i would think the 9 twist would be the key but not 100% with the relatively small 7mm case.

thanks for your input

scott

Re: 260 rem, 7mm08 7mm08ai, which to choose

Do 7-08 AI! I say this selfishly because I want to see what velocities your getting and also know how AI cases feed out of the AW mag.
    Plus it's always fun vicariously spending other peoples money,lol

don't worry i am leaning towards the ai anyways i am a whore for ackley cartridges, plus it might be the only way to 260 like velocities.

Hi Scott,

IIRC there was a 7mm-08 thread started some time ago.

As someone who actually shoots a 7mm-08 I can tell you that I love it!

I usually use 150gn SMK's, but I also shoot the 162A-max as well. Mine is just a factory Remington, but with the 150's I regularly shoot 0.25MOA.

I haven't worked up a good load on the 162's yet, but I got to tell you, this rifle shoots everything I feed it real well.

Recoil <span style="font-style: italic">feels</span> less than a .308 with 147grn bullets when I use the 150's, don't know why.

My load for the 150's is 41.1grn of Varget ahead of Federal 210M primers. From the drop I calculate that I am getting 2750fps, but I have yet to chrono the load properly.

The only downside I have, is that to jam the 162's I have to load them long in MY rifle, this means that I have to single feed them. They still shoot OK with the jump though, but as I said, I'm still working up a good load for the A-max.

Hope this helps.

Neil

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">don't worry i am leaning towards the ai anyways i am a whore for ackley cartridges, plus it might be the only way to 260 like velocities. </div></div>

I don't think that you'll get much of an improvement with the 7mm-08.

If you want .260 velocities, get a .260!

I'm having a Sako 75 re-barreled to .260. You can't beat the 140 grainers for BC!

Neil

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well i have typical rifle a.d.d. and am going to build a new rifle which will be a skunkworks 911 standalone action with cg jackson trigger in a manner t5a with chassis. i will be running aw mags so i will have alittle over 2.9" to play with. i was planning on the 260 but for some reason i always strive to be alittle different, plus my current match rifle is a 6x47 lapua which isn't that much different than the 260. i recently built a 284 and really like it, but dont think the casing will work well in aw mags so i am considering the 7mm-08 and the 7mm-08 ackley. i really like the 162 amaxs and would be building the barrel to shoot them.

so i am looking for opinions and experiences with the 7mm-08 and ackley version with the heavy bullets. i don't know what velocities to expect the the different calibers. please let me know barrel lengths and twists. i would think the 9 twist would be the key but not 100% with the relatively small 7mm case.

thanks for your input

scott </div></div>

Scott,

Lots of questions here, let me see if I can sift the chaff from the wheat.

First, either the 260 Rem (or 6.5 Creedmoor for that matter), 7mm-08, or 7mm-08AI are all excellent rounds that perform well out to 1000 yds and beyond, with good barrel life.

So which is the best? I don't know, but we can take a good stab at analyzing them and see how they compare.

First the 260 Rem w/140 gr Berger VLD. If you peruse the reloading forum you see loads that approach 2850 FPS, but most are in the 2800 FPS range, with 26" or shorter barrels. Let go with 2800 FPS, and plug that number into JBM using the Litz G7 BC.

1000 Yds -8.3 Mils -28.5 MOA Drift 1.9 Mils 6.5 MOA

Next the 7mm-08. Loads using the 162 A-max run around 2725-2750 FPS in barrel lengths less than 26". Let's use 2725 just to be conservative.

1000 Yds -8.9 Mils -30.7 MOA Drift 2.0 Mils 7.0 MOA

How about using a slightly better bullet, like the 168 Berger VLD at the same 2725 FPS?

1000 Yds -8.8 Mils -30.2 MOA Drift 2.0 Mils 6.7 MOA

How about the 7mm-08 AI? Well the 7mm-08 case is already fairly improved, blowing it out to a 7mm-08 AI only nets about 50-75 FPS max increase at equal pressures.

Taking the same Berger 168 VLD and increasing the velocity by 50 FPS, nets you the following:

1000 Yds -8.4 Mils -28.9 MOA Drift 1.9 Mils 6.5 MOA

There you have it. I'm not going to tell you which one to build, but they are all in the same ballpark performance wise.

As far as twist goes with a 7mm-08 regular or improved. Berger recommends 1-9" with bullet weights up to 180 grains. Bryan Litz opines that 1-8.7" is optimum for heavy 7mm bullets, and Sierra recommends 1-8.5" right on the box for their 175 Gr .284 SMK.

I'm currently building a 7mm-08 with a 1-8" twist Brux barrel, on the sole theory I would rather over-twist a little than under-twist a little.

IMHO, and YMMV,

Bob

if i run 7mm -08 or ackley i am going to have a new reamer made so it fits 308 lapua brass necked down nicely and have it specifically freebored to fit 162 seated to mag length. when your spending $3000+ on a rifle it doesn't hurt to spend another $135 on a custom reamer for your rifle specifically.

again i have nothing against the 260 i think it is a great round just want to be alittle different.

the thing is i have nothing against berger bullets but they typically shoot better jammed into the lands than jumping in my experience and at this point i refuse to run a jammed load on my tac match rifle. for this reason i don't shoot any vlds, yes they shoot good they just aren't for me. in 6.5 i love 139gr scenars and for 7mm i love the 162 amax.

AW mags will have to be modified in order for any of the AI'd cases to feed or fit. The guide rails in the mag need to be modified as the new AI shoulder runs into them. Once modified, the AI cases feed perfectly from an AW mag. Just something else to keep in mind.

well it looks like the 7mm-08ai is out of the running i don't want to modify mags and i trust travis completely.

down to 2 options 7mm08 or 260?

I've got to agree with Jason....even though I'm a rookie .260 guy the two I've been shooting the last couple of months have been pretty impressive. I spent a morning here not too long ago and put up my 6XC head to head against my GAP Crusader .260 running 139gr scenars at 2850 while my XC is running 115gr VLD's at 2900. Everything was pretty much equal...comeups and winds calls were neck in neck. But when I shot them at rocks way out(1300 meters) the .260 had less drift and hit with quite a bit more thump. Plus, I'll bet I'll get a few more rounds down the tube before I send it back to GAP for a re barrel...always a plus.I'm turning into a .260 junkie!.....grin!

260LW7-30-10001.jpg

Shot this 5 shots on an 8X8 AR500 plate at 450 meters with my little lightweight GAP .260. The load was 130gr Swift Scirocco at 2922fps and 43.5grs H4350...thats a preimium hunting bullet with a .571 G1 BC!! Same load shot in the .3's at 100 meters. Rifle weighs less than 8 pounds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">260 wins everytime, but the 243 is even better than it.</div></div>

i already have a 6x47 lapua so i don't need a 243

also i don't care about which is flatter shooting, i care mostly which has less wind drift and more ft/lbs of energy down range. i need something alittle easier to spot misses with than the 6mm dtacs

working on that, but the wind is a bitch sometimes and i need something slap it with!!

Of those two the answer is .260 all day long

you guys are making me lean more and more to the 7mm-08, has anybody tried 162 amax with rl17, i got crazy fast velocities with it in my 284?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you guys are making me lean more and more to the 7mm-08, has anybody tried 162 amax with rl17, i got crazy fast velocities with it in my 284? </div></div> ALL of my 7mm-08 rifle and pistols like the 162 amax and of all things the plain ole Hornady 139 BTHP. They are crazy cheap. You have to sort them by wt but for the price.....

I vote 260 also, I don't think the 7-08 has enough case capacity to push the heavies, 260 on the other hand doesn't need to pushed hard to make it perform, a 139scenar leaving the barrel at 2775 gives great accuracy and barrel life

I would go 7mm-08 again and again...I am running the 162gr Amax over IMR4064 and getting 2600fps out of an 18" barrel. With a 300 yard zero I drop 7.0MILS to 950 yards...not spectacular by any means but I would do it again 99% the only 1% would be possibly running the Ackley Improved in the hopes that the sharper shoulder would improve case strech, I trim brass each time and 80% needs it but the others are same length. The ones that get trimmed still chamber but I just trim them all to be uniform.

My chamber is a PTG SAMMI and the 162gr Amax fit perfectly in the AI mags --.005" -.010" tip clearance--- and jump .010" to the lands from the ogive.

I would like to see you do it in the 7mm-08 Ackley and maybe if you build it Rem LTR light and have some kid's colors in it you will keep it for a year!!

ok well i do have a rifle problem but it has let me try alot of different calibers. if it weren't for this site it would have never been possible. i wouldn't have other crazy guys like me that would be interested in my builds when i am done playing with them. however i will say i am not letting go of the 6x47 anytime in the near future i absolutely love the cartridge, it just needs a big brother thats all.

162 A-MAX is the way to go, is all I can say, and I love my 6,5 Swede. With RL-17 out of the 7mm-08 you can get close to 2900 fps

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> however i will say i am not letting go of the 6x47 anytime in the near future i absolutely love the cartridge, it just needs a big brother thats all. </div></div>

It's hard to get exited about other cartridges when you have a 6x47L.Isn't it ?

I jumped from 6x47 all the way to 30-375 Ruger which sends 240's at 2925 FPS.It gets decent barrel life and fills my need to thwack things hard.Sorry to ramble.

How about 7mm Crusader or 7x47L with 162 or 175's ? I'd think those would work in AW mags.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> however i will say i am not letting go of the 6x47 anytime in the near future i absolutely love the cartridge, it just needs a big brother thats all. </div></div>

It's hard to get exited about other cartridges when you have a 6x47L.Isn't it ?

I jumped from 6x47 all the way to 30-375 Ruger which sends 240's at 2925 FPS.It gets decent barrel life and fills my need to thwack things hard.Sorry to ramble.

How about 7mm Crusader or 7x47L with 162 or 175's ? I'd think those would work in AW mags.</div></div>

yes after running the 6x47 everything else seems not quite right, but i want something that is alittle easier to see misses when shooting matches solo, i am leaning very heaviliy towards the 7mm-08, i would just like some more velocity reports with the 162's. if i can shoot it even 2700fps easily i will probably go that route, if for no other reason than just to be alittle different. plus it helps that i only live an hour from benchmark barrels and if i don't like it i can get a new barrel very quickly.

The 7-08 guys are pretty vocal in this thread, but until I see the 7-08 whippin' the .260's butt pretty much across the board at 1Kyd F Class, my money's still on the .260. While it's a no brainer that .260 LR performance comes out of a handloading press, facts are, both chamberings are in that same particular boat.

I don't doubt the 7-08 is very capable, but IMHO, it's playing catch up to the .260 on the competitive firing line, and it probably will improve some more with age. It probably needs to.

The two are very close on paper, but the paper I pay most attention to is the 1000yd F Class target, and the match reports with equipment lists.

Greg

Are there any autoloader in 7-08? My only experience with the .260 so far was in an AR-10 platform and it was really awesome.

For my next bolt build the .260 is top on my list.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: danska</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are there any autoloader in 7-08? My only experience with the .260 so far was in an AR-10 platform and it was really awesome.

For my next bolt build the .260 is top on my list. </div></div>

Remington makes the r-25 in 7-08.
    i've read its the same as the dpms lr auto rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: long range dogr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">diggler,

Are you sure you cant/dont need both?
    grin.gif
    </div></div>

honestly i dont need either but i damn sure don't need both!!!

Yes, trendsetter. BTDT, somebody else's turn now....

I'm aware of the .260 advantages for 1000 yard shooting over the 308.

What I'm looking for is a round i can use for silhouette, deer and informal target shooting. Also I might have to deal with defence against black bear- (yes I want it all!). Grizzlies are rare here but also a possibility. I'm thinking 7-08 -I'm willing to trade a bit on the target range for a bit more oomph on game.

My current thinking is Sako 85 Stainless Varmint 20'' barrel, 9.5 twist

Anyone know what weight bullet that will stabilize? i know that 9 twist is reccomended. Also how much velocity will I be losing with the 20 " barrel?

Any reccomendations for a rifle with similar specs to the sako 85 varmint?

Any sugestions much appreciated.

Cheers

Tony.

for the price of a sako 85 you could put a custom barrel on a lesser rifle. however i do prefer the sako action over any other factory action. i think you should get one and let me know how it shoots. i would bet you could shoot the 162's out of the 9.5twist just not sure how far they would be stabilized. i would guess to at least 1000yds.

The .260 will work fine for silhouette. It KO'd the rams for me at 600 at Whittington, and very accurately too out of a 24" Varmint weight factory Savage barrel. The diminished recoil can be a real help in Offhand. Deer and informal target shooting, it also stands out. 1:9" twist is probably OK for 120-129gr bullets, I'd not go less than 1:8.5 for heavies (139-144). I think a few folks here have used the .260with shorter barrels, I've never gone under 24" and was getting consistent hits at 1Km/1123yd with it. I'm not quite sure what you could do with a 20" that you couldn't do just as well with a 24". Nobody in their right mind considers doing CQB with a bolt gun. Aside from that, I'd have no use for a shortie.

For bear of any kind, I would not use a deer-suitible chambering, but rather, nothing under .35 caliber, and nothing lesser than a .35 Whelen. I wouldn't want to get one's attention the hard way and be left standing there with a deer rifle (unless it was my '94AE Trapper .44Mag).

Greg

Just curious - is there much recoil difference among the .260/7mm/.243 options? Haven't shot any of the three, but leaning toward a .260 for my next purchase. Plenty windy here in NE and doping for same can be a real pain.

Something different eh

6GAP
    6.5Gap
    7Gap

Jedi,
    what is a GAP cartridge?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TonyTRG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    I'm aware of the .260 advantages for 1000 yard shooting over the 308.

What I'm looking for is a round i can use for silhouette, deer and informal target shooting. Also I might have to deal with defence against black bear- (yes I want it all!). Grizzlies are rare here but also a possibility. I'm thinking 7-08 -I'm willing to trade a bit on the target range for a bit more oomph on game.

My current thinking is Sako 85 Stainless Varmint 20'' barrel, 9.5 twist

Anyone know what weight bullet that will stabilize? i know that 9 twist is reccomended. Also how much velocity will I be losing with the 20 " barrel?

Any reccomendations for a rifle with similar specs to the sako 85 varmint?

Any sugestions much appreciated.

Cheers

Tony.

</div></div>

If you are considering a build you should deffinatly come to one of the SHWW shoots....just about everything under the sun at those....PM bigwheels about the 28th if you can come to Anacortes,WA.....the best thing for seeing what you want to build next is seeing how people shoot their "favorite rifle". Helps me see how the cartridges perform in real wind conditions before purchase and most people are happy to let you squeese a few rounds off to feel the recoil.

Greg,

I think for me the 260 Rem seems almost too light of a caliber for the type of LE and ELR clearcut shooting that I (and SHWW shooters) do and alot of the NW matches we have up here. Add the hard to spot misses in rough terain and the lack of movement on a larger piece of steel contacted on an edge, so I hope you understand my view on the 142gr bullets versus the 162gr bullets...for me the 7mm is about the lowest 70% chance of spotting solid hits and misses, caliber bullet for steel at 1000yards. On a nice grassy knowl or a level consistant range even 223Rem 60gr HP show upin gravel or sand at 1000 yards, but I like the 7mm-08 Rem for the lack of recoil and the bullet weight capability...I belive there are 190gr Wildcat bullets available too.

Respectfully.....

well i ordered my 7mm-08 a week ago 24" fluted 3 groove 9 twist. now i just have to wait for parts. damn i wish i were more patient.

If anything it will give pride of ownership that it isn't a common cartridge for our shooting style!!!

Full build specs?

Any of them will work great, you gotta twist the knobs on the scope no matter what caliber unless you get a 40mm cannon so who cares if you twist yours a 10th of a turn more than the guy next to you at the range the target will never know the difference. But I am sure some think that a 7-08 is worthless compared to a .260 thats the internet for ya. Get whatever turns your crank.

BobinNC pretty much summed it up there all in the same ballpark.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well i ordered my 7mm-08 a week ago 24" fluted 3 groove 9 twist. now i just have to wait for parts. damn i wish i were more patient. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i like some of the bighorn features for sure however i would look into underground skunkworks actions. true drop in fit plus they take aw mags which is a plus for me maybe not the wsm. his actions are made by defiance who also makes the GAP templar action. this is funny because i am also using a t5a on my current build with chassis system but mine is in 7mm-08, obviously drastically different but just ironic to me. either way you will love it just make sure you pick a good smith!!! </div></div>

Come on all ready!!!! Full build!!!!

Alright Joe full build sheet

skunkworkds 911 standalone action w/cg jackson 22 trigger
    Manners t5a campfire camo fully adj. w/chassis system and aw mags, 6 flush cups, atlas rail. od green tab sling
    24" 12 flute 3 groove 9twist custom contour barrel w/HateCa new style removable muzzle brake. also i am probalby going to have PT&G make me a reamer for the 162 amax loaded to 2.9" in 308 lapua brass.

then i am going to top it all off with a sweet millet trs scope!!! ok just fucking with you it won't have a millet, but it will have a mark 4, until i can save up another 2000 for another s&b or hensoldt. hopefully by next season it will be wearing a 3-20x56 s&b with klein reticle ccw knobs mil/mil pmII.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alright Joe full build sheet

skunkworkds 911 standalone action w/cg jackson 22 trigger
    Manners t5a campfire camo fully adj. w/chassis system and aw mags, 6 flush cups, atlas rail. od green tab sling
    24" 12 flute 3 groove 9twist custom contour barrel w/HateCa new style removable muzzle brake. also i am probalby going to have PT&G make me a reamer for the 162 amax loaded to 2.9" in 308 lapua brass.

then i am going to top it all off with a sweet millet trs scope!!! ok just fucking with you it won't have a millet, but it will have a mark 4, until i can save up another 2000 for another s&b or hensoldt. hopefully by next season it will be wearing a 3-20x56 s&b with klein reticle ccw knobs mil/mil pmII. </div></div>

Run the millet!!!! Just to fuck with people at the range!!!!

Sweet build man....I need to start saving......so I can buy it from you in 6 months!!!!
    laugh.gif

Biggest factors I think in the decision between the two would be
    -component avaiability
    -powder preference
    -compatibility with exicting caliber inventory

I now have a 6.5, and while its Creedmoor, not a 260 I can say that I would be hard pressed to choose between it and my 7-08.

I own a Surgeon 260 and it is an awesome round. I am shooting BHA 139gr Lapua Scenar. I do not reload yet, so finding ammo is a real pain in the ass.
    7mm-08 seems to have more availability when it comes to ammo. That being said, my 260 will shoot right with my 300 WM out to about 800 yards after that the 300 WM walks off amd leaves it.