• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

260 rem improved help

Mohawk3a

Supporter
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2010
California
Can you guys please share your experience with improving the 260 rem. I'm going to build a 260 ai. I'm going to have Dave set me up with a 260 improved reamer, and I could use some help with maximizing performance. Please share you knowledge and experience with improving this cartridge. Thanks
-Troy

Re: 260 rem improved help

So what would you like to know?

Use 708 brass and neck down just enough to make a tight fit into the chamber.It helps the brass form strait.Then send off 3 pieces of brass(fired 3 times)that have been neck sized only to a custom die maker like Warner tool.The best die on the market period!

I'm going to get my next barrel nitrided to make the barrel last longer.

You could save yourself some trouble by going with a 6.5-284.

About a month ago I started a thread asking similar questions to yours about 260, 6.5x55, and other 6.5mm cartridges. The people responding gave me some wonderful feedback. Rather than rehashing it all here, you might take a look at that thread, as it will probably answer many of your questions.

Good luck with your build. The info I got really helped me decide what I wanted to do.

I've got about 1200 rounds through a 260AI and think its an excellent cartridge. I use Remington 260Rem brass, fireform using a Lapua 139gr Scenar with 47.0gr of 4831SC, and shoot 'em as normal.

I use the fire-formed brass for comps and some training. I use a Lapua 139gr Scenar with 48.5gr of 4831SC. Of course your proper powder charge may vary.

I use Redding 260 Improved dies (full length sizer and standard bullet seater). Aside from Remington brass and a feeding issue every once in a blue moon (caused by shoulder angle), it is nice launching a 6.5mm bullet at >2950fps!

I was kicking around the same chambering but not sure if the AI would be worth the fireforming trouble (yes I know the AI and standard headspace the same and can be fired in the same chamber)
but do you really gain that much (yardage wise) for the expense? (i.e. barrel life, die costs, etc.)

i have a .260AI that i originally built as a long chambered 6.5x47. i thought i could get more horsepower by rechambering to .260AI but the best laid plans.....the rifle actually makes LESS velocity than it did before and though i had to make my brass for the last rifle, it was formed and ready not requiring any fireforming. my next barrel will probably be a creedmoore or another long chambered 6.5x47. if you want performance in a 6.5, go long action with a 6.5-284 or 6.5-06.

chuck

That was actually the other idea I was kicking around. (Pushing out the shoulder on a 6.5x47 lapua). What kind of velocity were you gettting? How far did you push it out, if thats what you did?

I would like to get longer barrel life than a 6.5x284.

RE17 will get you to 2900 out of a 26" barrel with a standard .260. That's a whole lot less work than all that fireforming nonsense.

43.5 grns of IMR4350 with a Sierra 142 MK is a good load in mine.
48.5 grns of H4831 with a 140 Amax showed very good promise the other day at the range. Going tommorow to try again and also the 142 Sierras with this load. Ill post the results.

the long 6.5x47 would push the 140's to 2950 pretty easy. i ran the 130 berger at 3050 and the 123 scenar and a-max at 3150. i made 3 conecutive hits at 1550yds on my IPSC steel target before i rechambered the rifle to .260AI. i have had a chance to shoot it at any distance since to know if the long range accuracy was effected. i did a long write up when i built the rifle with lots of pics. i then did an update later. you can search my posts and find them.

chuck

I agree that fire-forming is a PITA. I wouldn't do it again.

My current favorite load for my 6.5-08AI is 48.0gr H4350 behind a 123gr Lapua Scenar bullet / fire formed R-P .260 brass. Out of 26" Broughton barrel, this comes out at 3175fps and with great accuracy.

--Rootshot

Interesting..... As a long time 260 AI user that has recommended the 260 Ackley with fireforming BS including, color me intrigued.

So, a couple of questions on the 6.5x47 Extended:
1. What sort of H20 capacity do you get out of a once-fired case?

2. Are you using Lapua 6.5x47 brass or 243 Win?

3. What is your neck up procedure?

4. Once necked up, are you turning the necks?

5. Is this reamer available for purchase? If so, where?

6. Anybody have a reamer print? Care to post it?

7. What are you using for FL sizer dies and bullet seaters?

I have a rebarrel job coming up and was going to simply go the 260 Ackley route again but would love to know more of the above. Lapua brass sounds nice and working the brass on the work bench rather than wasting barrel life sounds nice.

here is a link to the original post. i dont know what happened to the pics.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1732397&page=1

here is a link to the update post

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...795#Post1889795

on my next 6.5 barrel, i will probably not do another .260AI simply because it does not offer much of a ballistic advantage over the other small 6.5mm cartridges. a 6.5x06, 6.5x284, or 6.5x55 (my favorite) on a long action would be the way to go for all out performance in the 6.5 caliber. i think the 6.5x55AI would be just about perfect since you can get the quality lapua brass MUCH cheaper than 6.5x284 and it will duplicate its ballistics. the case capacity on my wildcat would have been a little more than the creedmoor but not too much. it think the creedmoor would be my choice on a short action. make some brass from lapua .308 (cheap) and you should be able to push it past 2900 with the 140's.

chuck

Just a quick note.. I shoot a Shilen rebarreled Savage 10FCP Mcmillan..

I load somewhere between 49-50 gr of IMR-7828SSC under a 123 scenar in Lapua 243 brass just over 3100fps..

It is kind of an odd ball load but it works for me..

Do any of the custom barrel makers make a 260 barrel chambered and threaded for the savage.If so which one do you think is best?What twist for 120gr and up?

Check with Shilen for a pre-fit barrel. I would get a 1/8 to 1/8.5 twist and shoot the 139 -142 range of bullets. Why even mess with the 120 gr. bullets? The hole reason for the 260 is the high BC bullets. Just focus on the the heavy bullets and forget the rest.

I have a Krieger 1/8 on my 260 AI. and I would not change anything.