• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

260 rem in 30.06 action?

prodigalson

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2012
Butler, PA
Please please don't laugh. At a local shop there is a model 70 in 30.06 available for 379.99. According to the research I've done, the 30.06 and the .260 rem share the same bolt face. is it feasible to have a 260 barrel put on and the rifle still feed/function reliably? Like a said if its not, please don't laugh. Thanks for your help.

30-06 is built on a long action so should have plenty of room for the 260. You wouldn't be able to go the other way around because the 30-06 length requires a long action.

I'm sure more people will comment with more details but I would search for a short action rifle to convert to 260. With a Savage you could do the barrel swap yourself to save money.

I have a Mod 70 that was 270. I rebarreled it to 6.5 X 284 and then to 308. It fed well with both calibers. You should be good to go. The idea with the Savage is good too.

It should work. I've rebarreled a couple 8x57mm mausers to .308. They're not quite as long as an '06 action, but the principle is the same. You just have to rack the bolt further than necessary to cycle rounds, and may run into issues with rounds slipping forward in the magazine, but I doubt anything that's a real deal breaker.

On the plus side, you can chase the throat to your heart's content.

If you reload, the long action will allow you to seat out the longer .264 bullets like the Berger 140 gr VLD's, which would have to be single-loaded in a short action receiver because they'd be too long for the magazine. Seating the bullets out effectively increases powder capacity to a degree, and with judicious load work-up, you can realize a velocity increase over traditionally loaded cartridges.

If you do not reload, disregard the above, buy the rifle before someone else gets it, rebarrel it and do your thing. As others above stated it should function just fine.

Paul

Yeah, nothing wrong with .260, but if you're going with a long action anyway, you might consider something that will take full advantage of the extra length (without getting too exotic, something like a 6.5x55 or .284 win with the chamber cut to make the most of the ample mag length).

There is already a long action 260 it's called the 6.5x55 Swede. You'd be better off building that then a LA 260.

No doubt the Swede it a long action, however; the 6.5x55 has a slighty different case head demension, for those familiar with the mod 96 Mausers. There is a difference between the 260 and 6.5x55, the case heads sizes are:4803 vs .4728. If you want a long action 6.5 based on a long action 30.06-there is always a 6.5/06-A-Square makes factory brass, or you can easily neck up 25/06 brass, just saying.

Thank you all so very much. Its not a matter of me wanting a LA 260. Its mostly me wanting a 260 in a Model 70 action. I'm nearly positive the one in the shop is the CRF design, and from what I've heard, that's the better option than the push feed. Glad to know it will work though.

Go for it.

My M70 is a long action but came from the factory in 243. The bolt stop was lengthened and the rear of the internal box mag was blocked at the rear.
I bought a DBM bottom metal from Jeff at CDI that has the long action screw spacing but short action mags. When coupled with the Accurate mags I have 3.055"
which is great for seating out the longer pills.

Jered at APA is spinning a new barrel on it and is cutting the chamber to take full advantage of it all.

The m24 is a long action and the 308 works fine. The only thing is to make sure when loading the internal magazine to seat the rounds fully to the rear