• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

260 Rem Long Range Rifle

landtoy80

Sergeant
Minuteman
I would like to get a 260 long range shooter. The local range has steel targets well over 1000yrds.
I am right handed but am switching to shooing left handed, I am left hand dominate and my left is is my better eye. I would like a rifle that I can shoot either left or right handed.

Not sure if I want an AR10 or bolt rifle.
For a bolt rifle, I like the Tikka T3 with a RCS stock but the barrel is only 270mm or 22.44" long. Will the short barrel limit its range?
I looked at Remington and Savage and don't like their actions.
Can you buy just a Tikka action?
I had a Weatherby Vanguard (Howa) and liked their action but they don't offer a 260. Can you buy just a Howa/Weatherby action?

In the AR10 I like JP Rifles LRP-07 260 AR10 but it too has a 22" barrel. Accuracy Systems has 28' AR10's in 260.

How long of barrel do I need to maximize the 260?

I have about $3500 for a rifle. I have a scope.

Re: 260 Rem Long Range Rifle

Check out GA precision web site. They just posted a wicked 260 in the "rifles ready to ship" area, Buy it before I do...help save my marriage

3500 is enough for a complete custom build. For 1000yds plus you might want to look at a different cartridge. The 260 is a great cartridge. For beyond 1000 I would start looking at 300win mag unless you reload then maybe 7wsm or 338 Lapua. Some of the hotter 6.5's like 6.5x284 or 6.5wsm would be good too if you are not worried about hunting at those ranges with it.

George likes the 243 and the 243 ackley. Says it will stomp on alot of other cartridges at that range.

the 260 I had would hang with 300 win mags shooting the 190gr SMK's out to 1200yds

I was running 140gr Bergers over a stiff load of N-165 out of a 26" Lilja 3 groove 1-8 twist.
Useing 308 Lapua brass I had to just barely turn the necks a little adding to the accuracy potential.

Got my longest kill on a deer at 944yds with that gun

I know a couple guys shooting 7 WSM's to a mile with 180gr Bergers