• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

260 remington as a military cartridge?

eodusa

Private
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2008
I know the 260 & similar caliber a outshoot a 308. But any thought of it becoming a military caliber? 300 win mag and 338 lapua are on the list, just wondering if I should pick up a 260.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doubtful, but it would be awesome.
Dmr and GPMGs with 300 WM trajectory wouldn't suck.
I also bet that infantry would love the penetration of a 140fmj.

Are you saying that you would only pick up a .260 if it were a military cartridge?

I think a lot of people on this forum would be overjoyed if it became one, because it would likely lead to increased availability of surplus and match ammo and lower component costs due to economies of scale.

The military doesn't like to change things though. I don't see it happening. The difference in barrel life alone would probably be enough to dissuade them even if it is superior in all other ways to the .308.

Last edited:
Are you saying that you would only pick up a .260 if it were a military cartridge?

I think a lot of people on this forum would be overjoyed if it became one, because it would likely lead to increased availability of surplus and match ammo and lower component choices due to economies of scale.

The military doesn't like to change things though. I don't see it happening. The difference in barrel life alone would probably be enough to dissuade them even if it is superior in all other ways to the .308.

This ^^^^ is a pretty accurate summation. I find it to be extremely accurate and easy to load for. The militarization aspect has no bearing on my decision making when it comes to fun.

I disagree about availability. The way the winds are blowing, you will likely always be able to find .270, 30-06, and such. It is the military rounds that have been targeted by the government ...i.e. 300 Win Mag .308, 5.56. I see less pressure on non military. Now I can buy as much .260 as I want I will buy Lapua and great pills and forget completely what the military does.

I disagree about availability. The way the winds are blowing, you will likely always be able to find .270, 30-06, and such. It is the military rounds that have been targeted by the government ...i.e. 300 Win Mag .308, 5.56. I see less pressure on non military. Now I can buy as much .260 as I want I will buy Lapua and great pills and forget completely what the military does.

Not to mention with the first go-round the Gov't/Military hogged all the .308...which means there is decent once fired brass to make into your .260. A note here, that .260 Rem is .020" longer than .308/7.62. Once fire-formed however, it usually stays about .010" short of the .260 length. Which is the same as if you max trimmed it.

Last edited:
No way. No how. Ain't happening. Read Hatcher.

For the purpose of discussion, could you elaborate on what Hatcher said about this?

Added:

What I find is that Hatcher was about as pro 30-06 as one can find. He wrote a book on the stopping power of pistols. What we've come to find is a lot of the tests of yesteryear are not all they are cracked up to be. Modern science has shown that more hits of enough power is better than lesser hits/misses of overwhelming power. Expecially when it comes to hitting vital points on the target. Hitting these points matters a lot more with any amount of power.

Last edited: