• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

260 sub sonic

goober

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Auckland , New Zealand
Can some one put me right on loading for a 130gr sub sonic load for 260rem . I use ADI2209 powder currently and would like a recipe for an ADI powder if possible .cheers

Re: 260 sub sonic

What's the twist rate? Can you get Alliant's Unique or Red Dot or Bullseye or the easiest will be Trail Boss although I forget who makes TB.

I'm not familiar with ADI powders. Generally for SS ammo you need a fast burning, low density powder that fills the case up well and the heaviest bullet you can get ahold of.

For 260's you might be able to get Hornady 160 RN's and they'll stabilize in the same twist rate that a 130 BTHP match bullet will.

My twist is 1/8.5 .I havent seen all the powders you mention but think some one here will hsve the alliant -the hornady projectiles are here .
Would this SS round be ok out to 300 yards or less ?

If it's stable out of the muzzle, it's going to be fine out to as far as you can hit with it. The round will have a rainbow trajectory, but as long as you have elevation and wind adjustment left, you can keep going.

I wouldn't use it for hunting beyond vermin control, but if you feel you can cleanly kill an animal with a 22 or 22mag, then this will do the trick.

Handloader magazine had an article where they loaded the 260 Rem with Hodgdon's Trail Boss for subsonic loads. I'll post the info later tonight when I can look back through the magazine. It listed many common calibers with Trail Boss, and had great info.

Chad,
I would also be intrested in the info. I have a can on order and if the stamp ever gets here I would like to try it on my 260 and would like to have a sub sonic load for it too. Thanks!!!!

Trail boss is obtainable over here in NZ, I have some for 308 loading subs....just if ordering some remember it is light powder.....500gr is in a 4kg size tub
wink.gif

Run the heaviest pills you can find to retain as much energy as you can
smile.gif

This data is from Handloader Magazine.

260 Remington w/ 27" barrel
120 grain Nosler BT
Trail Boss powder
CCI 200 primer
Start: 10.0 grains @ 1065 fps
Max: 13.3 grains @1498 fps

Hope this helps.

I work a lot with that sort of stuff.. what is your application?

I shoot a lot of 260 also..there are more accurate powders than Trail Boss if you are looking for distance...

are you punching paper long range, or are you looking to do something more seriously with the application..

PM me, I can probably help you out..once your application is a little clearer...the other key is to have a bullet that will do its intended job once it gets on target..