• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

260AI questions

kjc

Private
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2010
ky
How does the 260AI work out of the factory rem 700 sa mag box when loaded with the 130-140 vld's? when bullet is seated long. I didnt know if I would need a extended mag box.

thanks
kevin

Re: 260AI questions

Seated long and in the lands, they wont work. 2.910" is the max you'll be able to get even with a Wyatts extended box. With a free bore of .090" the COAL length is approx 2.960" to 2.970" with 130/140 Bergers. You'll need a reamer with a max free bore of .030" to run those bullets in an internal box and be in the lands.

Look at the 139 Scenar instead or convert to an AW magazine.

thanks wnroscoe.. that helps alot

kevin

6.5 CM might be a better choice if limited to Rem 700 SA mag box.

Kevin,

I think your OAL concerns can be handled with a properly spec'd chamber. A leade length that is adjusted to your VLDs can be setup to handle that bullet at standard magazine OAL very well.

I think your larger concern may be getting the AI to run out of the factory M700 feed rails. My experience has been that the shorter Ackleys can be moody about cycling out of magazines that are side feed only. Factory 700 action feed rails fall into this category. A center feed setup like the AICS magazines were the best performers for us in all situations that included dirt, grass, bugs and heat.

Let us know which way you go and how it performs for you.

Good luck with the project,
Terry