• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

260rem vs 7-08 for young shooter and hunter

mlturner265

Private
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2012
Tennessee
I would like to buy my son a factory rifle in either 260 or 7-08 for shooting and hunting. I am wanting a medium weight rifle that won't bust the bank and not to be too heavy as he is only around 5ft and 125lbs. Hopefully a quality rifle that is enjoyable to shoot will lead to being interested in more serious shooting and hunting.

Re: 260rem vs 7-08 for young shooter and hunter

I was in the same boat, but I am a big 308 fan. What I did was get him a REM 700, bought an extra stock to install and cut down to Youth size.
I went with the "Less Recoil" rounds for the 308. I believe it is a 124gr (soft point). He shot and was not afraid of the "bigger rifle".
He shot his first two deer with it. He is now 16 and has been shooting the 165gr round (just like his Ol' man) and I am going to install the standard stock after this season.

Less ammo to buy and less different calibers to keep up with.

My 2 cents . . .

I have a savage in 308 and it is a fine deer hunting rifle. I was thinking ofa different caliber so dad would have an excuse to work up some new loads and maybe help doing some shooting during load development.

My daughter is turning 6 soon and over the next year I'm going to put a pink bolt gun together for her to give it to her when she's seven. I think that I'm going to go with a .223 w/brake to make it as soft shooting as possible.

Savage has many options in .260, just about all of the models except the axis. So you have a wide variety of barrel contours and price points available.

I love my 260 LRP, but it is a lot for me to carry around. I'm looking to buy one of Savage's other offerings in 260 for hunting.

The savage rifles are fine shooters out of the box but I don't have any experience with the accutrigger. How are they compared to rem700 triggers? Also I know that the 260 is pretty popular right now. Is there any real advantage of one or the other if you reload?

First off, what kind of game will you be hunting?

ive got a very well built remington 700 spsV.... in .308.... i love it there is little to no recoil to it... with my hand loads...wife shoots it all the time and shes just a lil thing..100lbs soaking wet with her pockets full.... PM me if you want

The accutrigger is better than any of the factory Remington triggers I have used.

I sold my .308 after the luck Ive had with .260 Rem. Its flatter and better in the wind than .308. I can't really think of anything .308 does better except factory ammo selections.

Shane013.jpg

My 12 year old son with his first buck, taken this past October with one shot at 470 yards. 130gr Berger VLD.

A little less recoil, a little better ballistics makes the .260 a natural choice for youth hunters...... and old hunters like me....grin!

I guess maybe I should have added that the longest barrel would probably be 24" and with a heavy contour barrel 22" as it makes the gun a little front end heavy where he is short.

Nice deer. That is what I have in mind. Although it would be very hard here in east TN to get a hunting shot anywhere near that long. Distance shooting would probably be only at a range. What are true advantages of the 260 over 7-08 as I see way more people building 260s instead of 7-08s.

My mule deer wouldn't agree but I agree with PGS logic and hunt with a 260 as well. I would add the 6.5 creedmoor to your list if you are looking at savage models, I reload so its no issue but if you dont the 6.5 may give you some more/lower cost options when your pricing ammo online.

I know you said only 260 or 7mm-08, but if I was in you situation I would strongly consider this Rem 788 in .243 Winchester. This is a compact, yet EXCELLENT rifle with outstanding reviews. The 788 is very handy and has a very fast lock time (firing pin speed). And .243 does an excellent job of harvesting deer.

My 2 cents worth.

I reload and that is part of wanting to get a caliber I don't have as I like to work up different loads.

Ranger I like your thinking but I already own a rem788 in 243. It is one of my favorite guns and would like to own one in 7-08 but they are quite rare around here or they must be gold in the stock or somewhere according to the prices when I have found one. The reason for larger caliber is wanting a gun that my son basically finds his own favorite loads for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bradu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First off, what kind of game will you be hunting? </div></div>

Why does it matter? There is nothing that the 7-08 can kill that the .260 wouldn't do just as well against with less recoil. PGS can attest to that, 260 is a slayer.

Thanks for all the input. It looks like I'm leaning toward the 260 in maybe a savage. The only advantage to a 7-08 would be the heavier bullets and if I want to go that route I can shoot a lite bullet from my 308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tigerfan9</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bradu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First off, what kind of game will you be hunting? </div></div>

Why does it matter? There is nothing that the 7-08 can kill that the .260 wouldn't do just as well against with less recoil. PGS can attest to that, 260 is a slayer. </div></div>

Depending on what they plan to hunt I was going to recommend a .243 just for the better choice of rifles. I love .260's but factory rifles are hard to find in that caliber.

Yes .243 has more options and would be a great starter then can re-barrel later into anything on the .308 bolt face if needed. If it is just for a hunting and nothing else then a remington model 7 in .260 would be a good lightweight option.

If you reload, there are a lot of reduced loads in 30-06 that make shooting a 30-06 like shooting a 22 mag. Not sure if there are any reduced loads in your calibers.
When my son got his Tikka T3 Lite 30-06 I started with very light loads and worked up to full loads over the years.

Find a caliber that has a wide range reduced would be your best bet to break in a new shooter.

Click on the link, go to "Data" and you will see a pull down for reduced <span style="color: #CC0000"><span style="font-size: 17pt">H</span>4895</span> loads. I've used this for .308 and it's amazing.

http://www.hodgdon.com/

I would get him a .260 but a .243 would work great also.

I like the 708. Good selection factory hunting ammunition. The 708 is easy to reload for accuracy and works well in short or long barrels with good barrel life. The 708 is very effective with the right load on big game compare to is size.

I just bought my boys a Rem 700 left hand youth model in 7-08, with th shortened stock, but I think a 260 Rem has significantly less recoil than the 7-08, next year the Rifle will get a 260 barrel.

I was in the same boat back in Oct. I ended up getting my son a Savage Predator Hunter Max 1 in 260 from Third Generation Shooter Supply here on the Hide. They are located not far from us. Its for hunting deer and antelope. He's been shooting 140gr Hornady Amax from Cooper Creek and it shoots great, 1/2 MOA all day long. First time out to 500yds with it he rang the gong with a huge smile and a shout of "I love this rifle, it doesn't recoil like yours." Money well spent just to see his face. I'll reload for it as soon as I get the dies.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10PREDATORHUNTERMAX1