• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.264 130 or 140 in a slow barrel?

Jmccracken1214

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 10, 2018
    Thomasville, NC
    I have a tikka 24" 6.5 that I just picked up and the one that I had last year was running my berger 140 hybrid load around 2700.. That same load in both my rugers ran 2825-2850

Im wondering if shooting out to 1000-1200, if the extra velocity of a 130 would be better, or if the slower, slightly higher BC 140 would be better?

I would imagine that anything 700-800 and in would be a wash for either.

Do you have a ballistic calculator? Check wind drift for both loads at the ranges you're interested in, shouldn't take more than ten mins to answer your own question

Do you have a ballistic calculator? Check wind drift for both loads at the ranges you're interested in, shouldn't take more than ten mins to answer your own question
    Fair enough.
    I put in strelok pro, berger 130AR at 2800 for 1000 with a 4mph wind from 3-9 o’clock.

8.43 miles elevation
    .67 wind

Berger 140 at 2700
    8.78 elevation
    .64 wind

I’m not a pro, but I’ll assume at 1000 yards, 0.03 windage is a wash.

Yep, that’s in the idgaf bracket for me at least. If it’s a wash on wind, I’d probably take the faster load, assuming availability was the same. However, if 130s are harder to find, I’d pass on them.

Yep, that’s in the idgaf bracket for me at least. If it’s a wash on wind, I’d probably take the faster load, assuming availability was the same. However, if 130s are harder to find, I’d pass on them.
    My local shop has both, 130 berger and Hornady.
    The Hornady 130 eld is about $75 cheaper per 500. I’ve always had bergers shoot easily, wondering if i should save some money and run the 130eld