• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

.264 Win Mag

tansinator

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 29, 2007
Signal Mountain, TN
School me on it. Would it be better than 300 Win for long range shooting (ballistically)? Barrel life? Recoil? Just seems like the 140's could get going fairly good, but I'm guessing it would be a barrel burner.

Thanks in advance

Eddie

Re: .264 Win Mag

Yes, there is a reason no one uses one for tactical shooting, you will burn out a barrel in less than 1500 rounds on the average.
Couple that with a lack of factory ammo, but it is a great hunting round.
I hunted with a guy who shot a 800# Bull Elk, one shot at 400+ yards, down he went.
Bullet recovery was nil, lungs and vitals were goo.

Its a great cartridge for hunting, but not for tactical shooting. You would burn it up right after you fall in love with it. The ".264 Mangle'um" as my late Grandfather called it, is a hot mess!! (in a good way)

Great cartridge. 1500 accurate rounds is WAY optimistic. I used one for the No Bull Sniper matches at Sac Valley. It's a laser. But the barrel cost per round is as much or more than you're cartridge cost per round.

I think fast volume is really hard on any magnum. I loved my .264WM! I dropped a nice bull Elk at 645 yards with a 140sst. Loved it so much I am building a new with a 22.5" barrel and suppressed. Hoping to get out west after a wolf next year.

My old one had a fair amount of rounds through her and showed a lot of life left even after what I think was 500 rounds. I shot a couple matches with her and varmint hunting as well. Just never punded the rounds down without letting her cool a little. Krieger seems to think the 5R's seem to hold up a little better with the magnums and hot rods. We'll find out soon : )

Good Luck and I'll post up once my custom one if finished.

JamieD

All Hogs Go to Heaven

as far as 6.5 bullets go, anything bigger than the 6.5x55 is pretty much a waste. the 6.5x47 lapua, 6.5 creedmoor and 260 rem are just about perfect on all point.
hope this helps.