• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

264 Win Mag

Re: 264 Win Mag

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Order a few barrels up front.</div></div>

+1 it's going to run you a couple of barrels.

BS. With new metallurgy and care barrels should last. My favorite cartrige. H4831SC best powder 120-140gr bullets. Own 2---264WM love the accuracy, terminal energy. Go for it

New metallurgy and TLC makes barrels last? That's what I must be missing. I've got to get me some of that!
laugh.gif

Hi the barrel will wear out a lot faster than a 300 Win mag or 7mm rem Mag but you can get pretty good performance with heavy for calibre projectiles i would reccomend staying at 140gr+ in bullet weight to allow you to gain the perfomance that the case has and look at H1000 and Retumbo first as the powder choices and CCI250 primers. Retumbo is designed specificaly for cartriges like the 264 and burns the coolest of all the Hodgdon powders and will give the best velocity with less pressure.

Your barrel will likley last around 1500 rounds if looked after after that it will still shoot but not up to match accuracy.

If you want one go for it if you want better balistics chamber a 7mm mag instead it will hammer any 6.5 into the ground the 7mm mags perform better than a 30 cal with the same case capacity so i would look at the 7mm aswell unless you have to own a 264 then all you have to do it drop the coin on the build.

Go for it. This was one of my favorite rifles. Killed everything from woodchucks to Elk. I took this Elk at 645 yards with a 140 Hornady SST.

I rechambered to a 300WM becouse I had a suppressor for it. If not it would have stayed a .264. One thing I really liked about the caliber is it carried a nice punch on game without the recoil. The mildest shooting mag I ever shot. Remington still makes the caliber. Also, I was at a local Gander Mountain and they had several different boxes of factory ammo on the shelf for it. That is a good sign it is going to be around for a long time to come.

IMG_4507.jpg

Good Luck,

JamieD

AI Stocks and Accessories

I had one built last summer on a Weatherby Vangaurd action with Brux barrel 1-8.5 twist, I used a Vortex PST 6x24x50 scope and Axiom chassis, I also had the badger bolt handle installed and muscle brake. I really like the gun with the exception of the stock. Now that the hunting season is over I'm going to send it to Kyle at XLR for a new chassis.

The guns shoots exceptionally well with IMR-4350 and the Berger 140's I just shot my Elk two weeks ago @ 800 yards and it ran about 30 yards and died.

Very pleased with the 264 win

The first custom rifle I built was around 25 years ago. It was a sporterized Remington 1917 Enfield action and put it into a Fajen laminated stock. I converted the bolt to cock on opening and also installed a Timney trigger. It got a new barrel and chambered it in .264 Win. Mag. Low recoil, flat shooting and I only load 140gr. bullets. Accuracy is excellent and when I have used the gun for hunting it's never let me down. Those long 6.5mm bullets work well on game, buck the wind great etc....yes a 7mm Mag would have an edge and 7's are one of my favorites as well.

Depending on how you shoot the gun and take care of it. Yes the .264WM is a barrel burner. If you we're to use it as a F-Class gun I would say less than a 1k rounds of barrel life for a match gun.

I've used primarily H4831 and H4831sc. in my gun.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

>>One thing I really liked about the caliber is it carried a nice puch without the recoil. The mildest shooting mag I ever shot. <<
interesting , I always heard the opposite about the .264
I know of a feller that hates to shoot his , He told me it was the hardest kickin' SOB he ever pulled the trigger on !

Had one built several years ago- toast in slightly over 600 rnds. Kick ass chambering for sure, but eats bbls like fat chicks eat junk food! Go 7mmRM and don't look back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twisted .308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">>>One thing I really liked about the caliber is it carried a nice puch without the recoil. The mildest shooting mag I ever shot. <<
interesting , I always heard the opposite about the .264
I know of a feller that hates to shoot his , He told me it was the hardest kickin' SOB he ever pulled the trigger on ! </div></div>

Out of a 8lb hunting rifle it might hurt a little. Add some weight and brake and it'l have mild recoil. My 14.5 braked 7 mag with 180's has less recoil than a 25-06 lightweight hunter.

Mine was a Sendero and no brake needed. Probably close to 12 lbs but really just a mild push - not a punch. I used 59 grains of 4831SC and 140's, Could go hotter or a faster powder and I'm sure it would change up the recoil. But that was a sweet spot so that is were I stayed.

JamieD

My gun weighs right at 10#. It has a 26" finish length barrel with a .645 muzzle diameter. No muzzle brake and a 1.250 breech diameter.

My original loads where 62.0 of H4831.

I've also got loads with 64.0 of N165 and H1000.

I can't tell a difference in recoil between the loads at all and the recoil doesn't bother me at all.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

If you go with 264, then load it like a magnum, that is the whole purpose of having a 264 magnum. If you are going to download it, then just go with 6.5-06. A 264 needs slow burning powder, anything faster than H-4831 is to fast for the 264 with 140gr bullets. To get longer barrel life, then just nitride it and hammer away.

I shoot one and love it. Go 8.5 twist at 25-26" and 7828 will run 140's at 3200 fps. I've also had decent luck with h1000 and retumbo. I've only killed 2 mule deer bucks with mine but it worked well. Mines just a cdl sf that I bedded into an Alaskan Ti stock.

Bb

It was running 3000fps which is plenty fast - It was just the sweet spot for accuracy. It is still one of my favorite magnum calibers and probably will build another someday.

JamieD

Mine is a Sendero SF II, and I'm running it right around 3,000 fps with 140 grain projectiles. I've got somewhere around 700 rounds through it right now, and the accuracy is still as good as it was when it was brand new. Whenever I do shoot out the barrel, I'll get another one (or two) chambered in .264 win mag.

I typically hunt with 130 grain accubonds and those have performed beautifully. I've dropped a couple of hogs at 350-375 yards and neither took a single step after they were hit.

I was thinking of 120 grain a max I had one years ago and it was an awesome groundhog rifle of all things I know its not popular but its something I had before and want to have again..

what rifle do you have? I want to find a used remington pss and rebarrell it to 264 I had one years ago and it was deadly on woodchucks of all things

If you know anyone whom has a used remington pss I would like to rebarrell it to 264 which is a better twist? 8.5 or 9? most likely I will use 120 grain

Either of those twists will let you shoot all 6.5mm bullets. I've found little difference in trajectory and recoil from 120's to 140's in my rifle. Personally, I'd reccomed the 130 and 140 grain class bullets. You've got the capacity to push them pretty hard, and you'll see a lot of performance from them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MedinaM40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My buddy did the nitrate thing and has had some issues with it? any ideas? </div></div>

Need more info.? Who's barrel? Who Nitrided it? What is it doing?

How many rounds on the barrel before Nitride treatment? What type of steel? If the barrel was brand new, was it shot and checked for accuracy before it was done etc....

More info. the better!

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MedinaM40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My buddy did the nitrate thing and has had some issues with it? any ideas? </div></div>

Need more info.? Who's barrel? Who Nitrided it? What is it doing?

How many rounds on the barrel before Nitride treatment? What type of steel? If the barrel was brand new, was it shot and checked for accuracy before it was done etc....

More info. the better!

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

I know there are separate threads on nitriding barrels. I am looking at doing a 264 WM currently. If I wanted to nitride, I recall it is generally recommended to break-in to be sure it shoots, nitride, clean the hell out of it, then shoot away. Correct? What barrels would you not recommend nitriding?

The .264WM barrel for my DTA is done. Unfortunately I won’t get a chance to test it out until sometime next month at the earliest as I’m in the middle of a move.