• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 270 to 300WM conversion

nortac

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2009
Texas
I have a Rem 700 Titanium 270 and want to rebarrel and set it up for a 300 WM.

I have a minimum spec saami 300 WM reamer I had used on another gun and would like to re use it for a new barrel.

I would need to have the bolt face opened up and probably have the extractor changed out. I am wanting to use the same size barrel that the factory TI stock has. Might be a #3 contour. Also want it braked.

Anyway, just trying to get some ideas on cost and work needed to finish it out. My goal is to have it as light and affordable as possible.

Re: 270 to 300WM conversion

seems like a hard way to go.
will the mag feed 300 WM? I think not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">seems like a hard way to go.
will the mag feed 300 WM? I think not. </div></div>

I have a mag box and mag feeder from a different mag I had built to use.

IMO reworking a OEM bolt isnt worth the effort/hassle. PTG with Sako extractor and fluting is under $200.00 just something to consider.

I can have this done much less than building up a pierce. It is nice but overpriced for me.

At this point, I might just move to have it rebarreled in 30-06 and throated for heavier stuff.

I just need a light weight 30 caliber. Right now with a 22" barrel and a Leupold 3.5-10x50 and steel rings and bases it weighs exactly 7.0lbs. Perfect weight for me on long hikes just don't need a 270 is all.

+1 on the .30-06. if this is for long hikes, would this be ahunting rifle? nothing on this continent that an '06 can't take down. i know a .300wm performs a little better, but at most reasonable hunting distances, the difference is negligible. (of course all this assuming this is for hunting)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cooperjd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on the .30-06. if this is for long hikes, would this be ahunting rifle? nothing on this continent that an '06 can't take down. i know a .300wm performs a little better, but at most reasonable hunting distances, the difference is negligible. (of course all this assuming this is for hunting) </div></div>

Plan on taking it on a plains hunt in Africa. My 300 cal guns are too heavy for long tracks. And then using it here on long walking hunts as well. I have a Sako Finnlight and a Weatherby Ultralight but wanting something in the 30 cal bullet range.

I can make the 30-06 rebarrel work with the 165's. Just wanted a little more zip on the 180's or 200's is all.

would a 30-06 improved do you any good?
How about a "poor mans magnum" 35 Whelan

i had a rem 700 swapped from a 270 to a 300wm, cost me about a grand not counting new stock and bottom metal. went one size up on a barrell and fluted it to keep it light.