• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

.270 Win: Why not?

Pete E

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 2, 2004
North Wales, UK
I'm just wondering why the .270win has never developed a reputation as a long range round?

Balistically, it sits right inbetween the various 6.5mm's and 7mm's both of which are loved by the long range crowd...

For example Speer does a high BC 150grn that should reach 2900fps, surely that should right up there with the 6.5-284 and 7-08mm /280Rem??

I know there aren't as many good bullets for the .277 caliber, but surely its a chicken and egg thing in that they are not produced as there is no demand?

Re: .270 Win: Why not?

You answered your own question. While there are a good number of .277" hunting bullets available there are only a very few match bullets available that are suitable for long range precision shooting, and none (that I know of) are of the VLD or similar design that has become so popular with long range shooters.

Until some quality bullet makers decide to produce a .277" bullet that is competitive with a .284" 180gr. Berger or a .264" 139gr Scenar (just for example) I doubt that you'll find many shooters who would be willing to invest in an expensive custom build for the .277" bore.

i have just been shooting a 270WSM....w/hunting boollits and a kreiger hunting profile barrel...we got speeds....OMG we got speeds and the accuracy was there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpotcheckBilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">there are only a very few match bullets available that are suitable for long range precision shooting, and none (that I know of) are of the VLD or similar design
</div></div>

Berger does make VLD's, their 150 grain bullet has a G1 BC of .531. Not as good as the best 6.5 or 7mm bullets, but not bad.

Shot .270 WSM @ 1000 Yards yesterday, did very well with basic factory ammo.

Rem 700, Kreiger Barrel, Winchester Supreme 140 and 150's

But Bullet Selection does suck compared to the others.

I think Remington made the Sendero in .270 Winchester. I thought about trying a heavy rifle in this chambering, but never have.

See "chicken and the egg" analogy above.

Plain and simple, other calibers get the job done just a little better in terms of ballistics. However, if you are using it for hunting, it has a pretty decent following and dead is dead no matter what caliber you are using on game.

I am running the 270WSM with 140gr Sierra Gamekings...cheaper than match bullets and when comparing the 308cal 180gr SMK vs 180SGK....the SGK has a higher listed BC in Sierra's book.

That and if you are smart and build a dual purpouse rifle then you won't have to switch back and change your load/drop data because you don't want to hunt with match bullets...one bullet, cheaper than match and on paper and field...I was un able to tell a difference...unless you have to have the "Match Sniper" bullets????

If I had a 270Win action I would run 280AI and be done with it....I recently built my WSM action into the 270WSM because I already had all the brass and dies....not sure if I will go to 7mmWSM when this barrel is done though....I just really like the 270WSM.

I have a Stainless Savage 270 WSM, it is getting a new aftermarket barrel, as soon as I can decide between the a 270 WSM or a 6.5 WSM. I would like to ability to shoot factory hunting ammo in a pinch, but the selection of VLD match bullets AND high BC hunting bullets for the 6.5 caliber make this a difficult decision. I am leaning more towards the 6.5 WSM. Swift has their 130 grn 6.5mm Scirroco hunting bullet 'advertised' at .571 BC which is better than ANY bullet I have found for the .277 caliber. This is does not even consider the availabe VLD bullets when I want to go punch paper...

I can at least duplicate the 270 speeds and probably better them a little with the custom 6.5 WSM...

Like everyone else has said, the 270 is GOOD but the 6.5(.264) offerings are BETTER...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nashlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think Remington made the Sendero in .270 Winchester. I thought about trying a heavy rifle in this chambering, but never have.
</div></div>

I have one, traded into it last year. Wasn't looking to get a .270 Winchester, but the deal was good. 130gr NBT's shoot nice, and I also worked up a load for 95gr Sierra Varminters for coyotes.

Now I just need time off work to go shoot, and someplace to shoot.

When Lost River Ballistics was around they had a 140gr bullet that had a rediculous BC. As has already been said bullets is the weak link. Also it doesn't fill a gap in the longrange crowd, it can't do anything a 6.5, 7, or 30 cal can't do in terms of muzzle velocity and BC. I loaded 130 Nosler BT in mine (.270win) when I had it, about 3000fps, hit dear like a city bus, the only rifle I had that would literally throw animals feet up in the air! I shot a black bear at 230 yards with it and saw all fours go up and over. I think with the 150 Bergers and a decent length tube it would be a fine longrange rig. There are definetly better cartidges out there though.

I like the .270Win. Have shot allot of 7.62 out of M40A1s with unertil scopes. Infact most of my shooting has been done with .30 cals of one sort or another.Had a couple different 300 mags, one Winmag and another a H&H. For me seemed like allot of blast, noise and a little pain. My granddad would always give me an earfull about how all you need is a .270, shoots flat, has plenty of power and doesn't destroy meat. I bought my .270 at walmart for $300. Rem700 ADL. bought a couple boxes of 130corelokts and she shoots about 1moa sometimes 1.5moa. That's much better than the AR10 match I had. (with corelokts, not match ammo) Now there at the local Walmart in the ammo section, .270 trumps 30-06 and .308 probably 3-1. They always keep a big stock of .270. guess its popular around here. I like the fact that 1- .270 ammo is plentiful and 2- my rifle shoots well with the cheap stuff and I don't need some spendy match grade or hand loaded ammo. (I do handload for it thou). Now I don't think its a 1000yd gun in my hands, but luckily I can stalk close enough to kill pretty much whatever I want, most the time, and if I cant, well that's what makes it interesting. Now when it comes to bullets and the .270, well there are some fine hunting bullets with some decent BC. and they have the added benefits of actually being designed to kill what you hitting. I agree, the .270 doesnt fill any gaps, but for its age its not shabby. Just a long winded thought.

It's a long action cartridge. Fewer bullet choices. Those are two big reason it's not more popular. In theory and in practice, the 270 is a great cartridge, but there are so many choices out there. "Potentially great" cartridges simply get neglected, only to be dug up years later by some brilliant tester who writes an article about how awesome it is.

The current trend in the accurate-shooting space is for shorter, fatter cartridges with sharper shoulders and longer necks: like 6XC, 6.5x47L, etc. One critical issue with short actions is whether the cartridge will fit in a magazine when touching the lands with a target round. That narrows the choices fast...but 308 still works!
smile.gif

A lot of folks like the .270 Win, and with good reason. But most of them are hunters, because that seems to be what the firearms industry has ordained them to be. Barrels and bullets a match rifle make, and they are not anywhere as easy to find for the .270 chambering as they are for equally capable chamberings. That said, the path exists, even if it's rather further from the beaten track.

Personally, I like that case capacity and have rifles chambered in .30-'06 and .280 Rem, both of which have more selections in barrels and bullets.

Greg

Agree with you Greg. It has gained a fantastic reputation as a hunting round but not progressed into mainstream target competition. I load the 135gr SMK's for mine and have achieved some fantastic accuracy along with good wind cheating ability too. However like most I tend to go back to .30 cal for target shooting due to wider bullet selection and more economical powder usage. I'm not worried about recoil particularly. If someone were to build a custom rig and found some heavy slippery bullets I'm sure it would be up there with the rest.