• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2707 Yard 1.54mi shot!

Whats up Guys, I wanted to share this little video I made shooting the Savage 110BA 338 Lapua at a distance of 2707 yards. I was using 300gr Berger bullets traveling at 2740 FPS. This shot required about 35 mils of hold over, with the nightforce NXS I was able to dial 27.5 mils, back the magnification off to 13X and use the bottom of the 5 mil reticle. With a flight time of just over 5 seconds it comes in pounding with 740ft-lbs of energy at 1.54mi away. Let me know if you enjoyed the video, thanks!

2707 yard shot! 1.54mi

Really cool vids man!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Reality Check

I'm amazed by this feat and super impressed with the documentation and reporting.

And it makes me wonder if I can believe some of these reports coming back from overseas of guys making hits on targets at 2500+ yards with 338LM in combat situations.

Here you have a guy with a GPS reading, a walkie talkie by the target, a large steel freshly painted white, a chosen shooting location, scope maxed out, all day and 21 shots to get on target....

It really makes me wonder about stuff like Rob Furlong and the Tac-50. When young McMillan went out to try to get on target at 2500 yards on the Military Channel, he gave up, they couldnt even spot his impacts. We shot at a live target one night with my Tac-50 at 1900-2000 yards and while we got close, we burned through about 25 rounds of Hornady Match AMAX to do it and still didn't score a hit. At that distance, if the target moves just 10 yards back, you need to correct by a MOA which is 21 inches!

How the heck do you know that some independent sniper at 500 yards didn't happen tho shoot the guy Furlong thought he was shooting at? Or the Australian sniper's target?

I know there are a lot of guys shooting and eventually......but jeez

I'm amazed by this feat and super impressed with the documentation and reporting.

And it makes me wonder if I can believe some of these reports coming back from overseas of guys making hits on targets at 2500+ yards with 338LM in combat situations.

Here you have a guy with a GPS reading, a walkie talkie by the target, a large steel freshly painted white, a chosen shooting location, scope maxed out, all day and 21 shots to get on target....

It really makes me wonder about stuff like Rob Furlong and the Tac-50. When young McMillan went out to try to get on target at 2500 yards on the Military Channel, he gave up, they couldnt even spot his impacts. We shot at a live target one night with my Tac-50 at 1900-2000 yards and while we got close, we burned through about 25 rounds of Hornady Match AMAX to do it and still didn't score a hit. At that distance, if the target moves just 10 yards back, you need to correct by a MOA which is 21 inches!

How the heck do you know that some independent sniper at 500 yards didn't happen tho shoot the guy Furlong thought he was shooting at? Or the Australian sniper's target?

I know there are a lot of guys shooting and eventually......but jeez

See if you can catch a recorded conversation between 4 great snipers, Plaster, Gilliland, Furlong and Reichert; they talk about these shots. Fun conversation and very instructive.

Great job shooting! I remember shooting at 2200 with my 338BA and THAT was tough. I think I must have burned through atleast 15 or so rounds just to get a few hits on a 36" round target. I'm surprised you connected at all on a 17" wide target!

As far as walkie talkies go, have you guys tried to put them behind the target? Seems like it might make it more audible. The only thing I would worry about is the steel would hinder the reception range too much?

Is this the video that "busts the myth"?

.338 Lapua effective at 2707 Yards with SRS - YouTube

No offense intended for some great shooting AND from a DTA HTI owner who believes in this rifle....but that video CONFIRMS the myth.

Close only counts in Horse Shoes Hand Grenades and Nuclear War.

And the fact that you can see those misses only means that whatever you're shooting at can see them too....but he's way closer. He ain't waiting on you to "dial in" or "single feed" and/or shoot again.

Which is why the guys at LRH have a point. When you're hunting, you don't often get those chances at repeated shots. Something runs back just 20 yards and your'e 2 MOA off on the next shot unless you've reranged and redoped....

Buy hey, if you guys wanna reduplicate this some time, LMK. I'm in SLC, and I just today received 100 pcs of Jamison 375CT brass......for me the fun would be in the "trying" rather than the "proving".

Last edited:
I live in Draper.
From what your posting, I gather you would be interested in finding out range you can accomplish near 100% first shot hit probability?

A lot of that will depend on the shooter and conditions, but it will be considerably closer.

Anyway. Here is a link to a target of my three shots with a .375 CT from the DTA HTI at 3,079 yards.
My Slideshow - YouTube
You can google 3,080 yard shot and desert tactical arms for the video and other videos I posted from the above link.
I personally consider that repeatable. They were my first shots, but we had dope for that range.

It would be after shot show, but I would be happy to ask Nick if he would be interested in doing some more promotional videos with first shot hit probability maximum ranges.

There is a difference in what we are posting about:

•effective range for a caliber in MOA or however you want to measure the groups. You could consider it repeatable harassing fire if you were shooting at someone, which sounds like how both the current believed or not kills took place at 2,707 and 3,080 yards.

And

•very high probability first shot hits

Last edited:
I live in Draper.
From what your posting, I gather you would be interested in finding out range you can accomplish near 100% first shot hit probability?

A lot of that will depend on the shooter and conditions, but it will be considerably closer.

Anyway. Here is a link to a target of my three shots with a .375 CT from the DTA HTI at 3,079 yards.
My Slideshow - YouTube
You can google 3,080 yard shot and desert tactical arms for the video and other videos I posted from the above link.
I personally consider that repeatable. They were my first shots, but we had dope for that range.

It would be after shot show, but I would be happy to ask Nick if he would be interested in doing some more promotional videos with first shot hit probability maximum ranges.

There is a difference in what we are posting about:

•effective range for a caliber in MOA or however you want to measure the groups. You could consider it repeatable harassing fire if you were shooting at someone, which sounds like how both the current believed or not kills took place at 2,707 and 3,080 yards.

And

•very high probability first shot hits

I think we agree, basically. Of course, those guys shooting those reported records need all things - range of the round, downrange performance, immediate or quick dope so the guys don't seek cover, etc.

Either those reported records are from guys who have capabilities that we can't fathom, or there is a good deal of luck involved. Probably the latter.

But seriously, if you guys want some company next time you're shooting, LMK. We can compare notes.

I was amazed by the field performance of the 375 earlier this month (I just got mine). Compared to 300 RUM 338 edge, it just blows those cartriges away. And so so so much more pleasant to shoot than the 50

A little birdie told me that teh DTA guys have a goal of 5 consec shots on an IPSC target at 3500.....I agree with what you suggested above - that a high probability of first hits (say 80-90%) at a given range in unknown untested undoped conditions may be an even more useful test. I still wager that 375 will come out on top there too....

SOA