• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

277 Sig Fury

80 psi through a barrel gonna be fun if your the next to the shooter with the muzzle break on that one
I think the movement is towards less of faster powders with more peak pressure rather than more of slower powders with less peak pressure.
So, in fact, the new pressure curve would well allow LESS uncorking pressure than the current big magnums with 30" pipes.
1578654016530.png

Reactions: gnochi
It sounds to me that any of these high pressure rounds should be treated as "magnum" rounds when choosing a suppressor. I wonder how well my SDN-6 would hold up to 80k psi. Pressure peaks and valleys aside, I'm not overly hopeful that it's going to be compatible.

This looks very interesting and as Theis said, I'm sure modern actions will be able to handle it especially in a bolt gun. Weatherby Mark V's are overbuilt on purpose.

I'm sure it's intentional nothing has been released for the semi auto guys since there is much more to sort through there. If they are really going to apply this tech to the 6.5 and 30 cal cartridges, that would be much more interesting.

Anyone know anything about higher BC 277 bullets? A high BC 170 ish gr projectile could be very interesting... Same weight as current 308 loads but better BC and SD.

The 143 gr 6.5 mm projectiles are just a little light for my taste because if I'm going that light, I'd just shoot a 110 gr 6mm (call me crazy)

This looks very interesting and as Theis said, I'm sure modern actions will be able to handle it especially in a bolt gun. Weatherby Mark V's are overbuilt on purpose.

I'm sure it's intentional nothing has been released for the semi auto guys since there is much more to sort through there. If they are really going to apply this tech to the 6.5 and 30 cal cartridges, that would be much more interesting.

Anyone know anything about higher BC 277 bullets? A high BC 170 ish gr projectile could be very interesting... Same weight as current 308 loads but better BC and SD.

The 143 gr 6.5 mm projectiles are just a little light for my taste because if I'm going that light, I'd just shoot a 110 gr 6mm (call me crazy)
That’s what I’d find sexy.
a 308 bolt face cartridge pushing a 160-170 high BC bullet at 270WSMish speeds

Either they just released or I missed it, but Berger has a 170 EOL on their website... G7 BC of .339 and G1 BC of .662. Much better than the ammo Sig is loading with a G1 BC of .508

Wonder what speed the 170's would run? I'm not very good at guessing velocity when bullet weights are changed.

Reactions: tRidiot
Either they just released or I missed it, but Berger has a 170 EOL on their website... G7 BC of .339 and G1 BC of .662. Much better than the ammo Sig is loading with a G1 BC of .508

Wonder what speed the 170's would run? I'm not very good at guessing velocity when bullet weights are changed.

They've been making those since 2016. 270 Sherman guys love them. LRH Forum probably has a a few threads you can find recipes and chrono results.

Was looking into them deeper and found that to be the case. I bet a Sherman would be awesome with those.

Wonder how they play in a short action magazine

SIG bumped the shoulder forward on the 277 Fury...which means they're gonna need a XM/LA length magazine and appropriate chamber to reach the full potential, particularly with the 165-170 grain class projos we all wanna see. Otherwise, it's the 260 REM problem all over again, but worse. Just look at how far into the case the 140 hunting projo sits.

Now, granted, 80 ksi is still gonna move the EOL or similar at respectable velocity...but, if you weren't worried about some goober blowing his rifle to shreds, a .30 TC class case to leave room for a longer projo makes more sense if you're constrained by magazine length.

ETA: yes, I realize this was designed for a belt fed.

Stainless steel mated to brass? If they use austenitic stainless (300 series), it will cause galvanic corrosion of the brass. Martensitic stainless (400 series) shouldn't react, but still, I don't see this ammo storing well over time. Humidity infiltration will occur at the very least if the mating surfaces of the two case halves aren't sealed, and then both metals will eventually corrode on the inside of the case.

Stainless steel mated to brass? If they use austenitic stainless (300 series), it will cause galvanic corrosion of the brass. Martensitic stainless (400 series) shouldn't react, but still, I don't see this ammo storing well over time. Humidity infiltration will occur at the very least if the mating surfaces of the two case halves aren't sealed, and then both metals will eventually corrode on the inside of the case.

True, but FN has been using a polymer coating on their 5.7 brass for years....

Reactions: Odysseus1911
Ran the 165 matrix in my 270 for years. I think a Fury could push them to about 2700 in a 16 inch barrel at full pressure.

There are lots of good 7mm bullets, I would think necking it up would be the way to go if you have all of that velocity to play with, then extend the barrel if you think you need more.

I'm not sure if that will be the price of brass from every supplier, just the only one I've seen so far.

The High BC .277 bullets will come as soon as it hits the market, Berger only needs a reason to design them. The per caliber formula can be used in .277 the same way it was in 6mm. 6.5 and 7mm. .277 will be a little heavier than 6.5s and lighter than the 7mms.

It will depend entirely on barrel length. The farther away from the chamber, the lower the pressure, which is why suppressor manufacturers have minimum barrel lengths depending on chambering. 16" for 308, 20" for 300WM, 22" for 300 Norma, etc.

Just a wild guess, but I'd expect the .277 Fury in a 20" to have a similar pressure at the muzzle to a .277-308 in a barrel a couple inches shorter. Sig will have barrel length recommendations for their suppressors regarding their new cartridge soon if the don't already, and you can extrapolate that info to other brands.

Makes sense. However, I ordered one of their Cross rifles in the .277 Fury and it comes with a 16 inch barrel. I have a 338 steel can and was hoping to use it. I guess we”ll have to wait for more data.