• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

28 Nosler/195 Berger recipes for 1500- 2000

That's with a couple hundred rounds down the tube. Used to in the 3100 plus range when the barrel was newer.

Thanks Doc, what is your cartridge COAL with 195s ?, compressed load? Rig weight and recoil? Average group? Build specs and builder?
Thank again LE

COAL is 3.765-3.770. The bullets will vary a little in length thus I always measure base to ogive which is very consistent. It's a Ryan Pierce built rifle on a Stiller action, Brux #5 barrel 28" with slab break. Weighs just under 9lbs w/o optics. Groups .3MOA when I do my part. Minimal recoil with break.

200 yards today. 0.27 MOA

Attachments

• 20180909_183847.jpg
    20180909_183847.jpg
    370.2 KB · Views: 95
Reactions: TripleBull
On another post someone mentioned shooting an email to Berger and that they can give you some load data for that combo.

I was reading the comments above and although this isn't exactly what your asking for and i haven't finished chambering it yet so i cant comment on load but i thought i would share some length's as related to freebore.

Below is a 28 Nosler case and two 195 Berger's. The one with the bullet seated is from a reamer with .190 freebore. So the bullet is seated @ the lands.

pic1.jpg

In this picture the top cartridge is from a reamer with .270 freebore and the bottom cartridge is .190 freebore.

pic2.jpg

Here is a COAL for the .270 feebore

pic3.jpg

Here is a COAL for the .190 freebore

pic4.jpg

Here is a picture of the .270 freebore in a Wyatt's extended box magazine. The Wyatt's has an internal length of 3.850, so around .120 to chase the lands and still fit into the box magazine.

pic5.jpg

How is spotting misses at 1,500 to 2,000 with this bullet? I'm looking to put together a 7-300 Wby. If it's difficult to see misses, I will probably just go with a Lapua or Norma. Thanks

How is spotting misses at 1,500 to 2,000 with this bullet? I'm looking to put together a 7-300 Wby. If it's difficult to see misses, I will probably just go with a Lapua or Norma. Thanks

That depends more on how dry it is where you shoot. In kentucky misses are hard to spot...tall grass and damp soil most of the year make it tough.

Reactions: rlsmith1
For sure. I think that would make most bullets hard to see. I have not shot much past 1k so I'm not sure what is reasonable to expect at extended range. Not sure how much difference there would be between a 7mm and 30 cal at a mile.

Id guess not much difference. Splash intensity in dirt is going to be related to how much energy the bullet has left and how quickly it dumps it into the dirt.

Resurrecting here - Ive got a .190 freebore and a bunch of 195s staring at me. I also have RL33, but have had high pressure starting at 82g. I've cleaned the barrel well after being told that RL33 leaves a lot of carbon behind, but I think I'm ready to give up on it and try something else.

Anyone with .190 freebore running the 195s successfully? VV570? Retumbo? Please share charge and velocity. I'm using Gunwerks 1x shot brass in a 28" barrel on a Desert Tech SRS A2 and will start low to find my own charge that fits.

Now seems to be a tough time to be trying to find magnum powder, but it's even more frustrating to load up ladders in this cartridge and fail to find a load that's consistent and safe.

Resurrecting here - Ive got a .190 freebore and a bunch of 195s staring at me. I also have RL33, but have had high pressure starting at 82g. I've cleaned the barrel well after being told that RL33 leaves a lot of carbon behind, but I think I'm ready to give up on it and try something else.

Anyone with .190 freebore running the 195s successfully? VV570? Retumbo? Please share charge and velocity. I'm using Gunwerks 1x shot brass in a 28" barrel on a Desert Tech SRS A2 and will start low to find my own charge that fits.

Now seems to be a tough time to be trying to find magnum powder, but it's even more frustrating to load up ladders in this cartridge and fail to find a load that's consistent and safe.
I was runnin 195’s at 3000 FPS 78.0 gr Retumbo. I had to re work load because I use a can now. 28” barrel as well.

Reactions: 65x55guy