• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

28 nosler carbon ring?

Gobears16

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2018
Blackhawk, Ca
So I’ve got a serious problem. I started load development with RL 33 and 195. I started at 85gr-87.4. I started seeing pressure around 87.1gr. My best consistent loads were at 85.2 with avg speeds 3050... gun was shooting great for 50 rounds... fast forward to resizing and loading same powder charge I’m getting extremely heavy bolt lift and I blew a primer.

I’m using a new jug of RL 33. Would this cause that much of an extreme in pressure? In my initial load I stopped at the first sign of a heavy bolt life which was 87.1gr. Now at 85.2 I’m blowing primers and increasing FPS by 100+.

Could a carbon ring be the problem? I don’t have a bore scope so I can’t look. How do you best remove it? Could the powder variance be that big?

I’ve got a big hunt coming up first of November and I’m stressing this won’t be a reliable gun. Help needed.

A trick I learned from Hodgdon is to put the powder in a room (basement maybe) with a humidity of 55 or 65 percent and open the lid for a day or two and it will normalize if the powder is the issue. If the powder is stored in h a hot dry area or cold in the winter, it will dry the powder out and cause pressure problems. Hope it helps and good luck with your hunt.

JamieD
www.wolfprecision.net

Reactions: Gobears16
I cannot speak for RL33, but I have had this happen to me with RL16. Huge swing in lot change. Hot lot node was 40.6 (2800 fps) 2nd lot charge was in the 42.0 grain area (2800fps) Velocity differences were over 70 fps.

I live in Maryland where we cannot buy 8lb jugs of powder unless we drive out of state, so I use a lot of 1lb powders. Never have I seen this much of a velocity/pressure swing with H4350, Varget, IMR4064, H4895.

RL16 did cause a carbon ring fast in my barrel, but I’ll bet $ your new lot is the cause.

Redo your load development.

I went back to H4350 for this reason.

Buy some bore tech carbon remover. Some great stuff and will eliminate the carbon if that’s the problem. A carbon ring can certainly cause the issue. Take the bore tech and a good nylon brush and scrub the throat really good. Then run some wet patches followed by dry until clean. Sometimes you have to repeat if necessary.

I cant imagine it being a carbon ring in 50rds. My money is on lot variance or barrel speed up. Had same thing happen to a 6.5prc, but all my components were same lots. Good load at 3040 went to shit and got pressure. Barrel had sped up to 3130fps. Retuned load and ended up at 3075fps to get accuracy back.

If you think you have a carbon ring clean your barrel and when you think your good and clean put some cleaning solvent on a nylon brush push it through the bore and when pulling it back through feel for tight spots. There's your carbon. Clean until tight spots are gone and you should be good to go. Use what ever method you want to remove carbon. Just check with nylon brush. I money is on the hot lot of powder.

Good Luck

Reactions: ktmkaratechips