• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing 28 Nosler Lightweight Mountain Rifle Build

Ecureuil

Private
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2012
Las Cruces, NM
HI,

I'm piecing together a new rifle because I'm tired of carrying 13-15 lb guns in the woods. I settled on 28 Nosler because it is a beast. My initial ideas are:

Bighorn/Zermatt Origin action w/mag bolt face - ordered
26" Proof Carbon pre-fit with SAAMI chamber - ordered
Calvin Elite Trigger
Savage barrel nut
Christiansen TFM carbon stock 2.850 CIP bottom metal- own
Seekins rings
Vortex razor LHT 3-15x50 HSR5i - 19oz.

I have a few questions for those in the know:

Do the Origin LA action rails accommodate a 28Nosler/RUM case without opening up?

I'm thinking about having the barrel throated for a 175gr ELDX seated out at 3.680 COL. I plan on shooting the 195 EOL but maybe want to hedge my bet in case it doesn't shoot or I'm not happy with it. I don't think I'd be giving up too much that way as far as mag length goes but don't have the .310 freebore that would probably not let me shoot the 175/180 bullets. Thoughts?

Pic for attention.

IMG-6376.jpg

As far as the 28 nosler goes i use pva 151 bullets and they are great might want to use those or give them a shot or even the 170. Me personally im not a huge fan of the 28 nosler i wouldnt personally build another one.

Thanks, I’ll check them out. What didn’t you like about 28 Nosler if you don’t mind me asking?
They are a solid with high bc but big performance. Well i have neck tension problems and after reading into it more alot of people have that problem. I dont get the speed i should. But not all have this problem

One of my questions was more or less answered in another thread. I’m going to get a ptg unithroat reamer and throat the barrel for 175gr eldx to be .020 off the lands at 3.680 col. I can always take away metal but I can’t put it back.

When you say lightweight..what is your end goal weight.

Right now my goal is to run the stock I already own and assess if I want to go down to a featherweight hunting stock. Lighter is better but I sure like the feel and features of my stock.

Bighorn/Zermatt Origin action w/mag bolt face - 2lb
26" Proof Carbon pre-fit with SAAMI chamber - 2lb 12 oz
Calvin Elite Trigger - 2.5oz
Savage barrel nut - 1.3oz
Christiansen TFM carbon stock 2.850 CIP bottom metal- 2lb 8oz
Seekins rings - 1.9oz
Vortex razor LHT 3-15x50 HSR5i - 1lb 3oz.
Atlas BT10 bipod - 11oz
Accurate Mag 5rd - 6oz
5 rounds - 6oz
Harvester 300 with cover - 13.5oz

Sitting at 11.1 lbs with ammo.

If I got a lightweight hunting stock I could shave ~1.5 lbs and it would come in at 9.6 lbs which I might do later. Lighter is not better for accuracy IMO, especially off the bench, with magnum-ish rifles. I put together two different Christiansen Ridgeline 300WM's and dialed them for friends and I found them difficult to shoot accurately from the bench. They jump and torque off hard surfaces even with a brake or suppressor. I also found the fore end had too much flex with a bipod. I guess it will boil down to my tolerance for carrying an extra 1.5 lbs on the gun.

Last edited:
My 300WM that is currently in this stock (pictured above) weighs 14.5 lbs with ammo. So 11.1 lbs is already a substantial difference. 9.5 lbs would be a joy to carry.

...may have ordered an Manners EH1 to chase that 9.6 lbs...I don't want to go into what the price per pound looks like on that....
IMG_3684rs.jpg

Last edited:
If you would like light weight in a 7mm and you're not trying to push heavy bullets you might look at the 7 SAUM. If your 28 is only going to be 11 lbs. with all that gear on it, it may be hard to shoot really accurately. Either way should be a really nice rig.

Reactions: Ecureuil
HI,

I'm piecing together a new rifle because I'm tired of carrying 13-15 lb guns in the woods. I settled on 28 Nosler because it is a beast. My initial ideas are:

Bighorn/Zermatt Origin action w/mag bolt face - ordered
26" Proof Carbon pre-fit with SAAMI chamber - ordered
Calvin Elite Trigger
Savage barrel nut
Christiansen TFM carbon stock 2.850 CIP bottom metal- own
Seekins rings
Vortex razor LHT 3-15x50 HSR5i - 19oz.

I have a few questions for those in the know:

Do the Origin LA action rails accommodate a 28Nosler/RUM case without opening up?

I'm thinking about having the barrel throated for a 175gr ELDX seated out at 3.680 COL. I plan on shooting the 195 EOL but maybe want to hedge my bet in case it doesn't shoot or I'm not happy with it. I don't think I'd be giving up too much that way as far as mag length goes but don't have the .310 freebore that would probably not let me shoot the 175/180 bullets. Thoughts?

Pic for attention.

View attachment 7464804

Did you order barrel in savage shank to need barrel nut? I always get the shouldered and would recommend going that route instead of barrel but. . Also would highly recommend triggertech over anything else - It is proven to withstand the harshest conditions and is extremely crisp.

Reactions: Ecureuil
Did you order barrel in savage shank to need barrel nut? I always get the shouldered and would recommend going that route instead of barrel but. . Also would highly recommend triggertech over anything else - It is proven to withstand the harshest conditions and is extremely crisp.

I ordered a 26” savage small shank prefit. I already own the tooling to install remage barrels/nuts and have had good luck with them. I’ll give triggertech a hard look. I only go with Timney on builds out of habit. I’m going to ream the barrel throat with the ptg tool for the 175gr eldx and hope to shoot the 195 with the same freebore.