• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

28 Nosler on AR Platoform (custom or built)...

Tikkad

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2010
Abilene texas
Hello all, I would very much to purchase or have a custom made in 28 nosler on an AR platform. I am not looking to break the bank, but am not looking to comprise quality to save a few hundred... Any information on custom builders that would produce a high quality product or also factory built would be very much appreciated. I am hoping to stay around $2,750 +/- depending on the options.

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback!

You won’t be able to fit a 28 Nosler into an AR platform rifle. SAAMI lists the COAL as 3.160-3.340, and I think the recommended max chamber pressure is 65,000 PSI, so you would need a special setup.

If you’re wanting an autoloader in that chambering, you might reach out to someone like Noreen, Falkor, or Nemo, but if they say yes, you’ll be way out of the $2,750 ballpark.

I think you’ll probably need to decide whether you want an AR platform rifle or something chambered in 28 Nosler, and go from there. If you find something, and it doesn’t explode when you pull the trigger, it would be really interesting to hear about.

Reactions: XP1K and msgriff
I realize that AlexPro makes a rifle in 28 Nosler, so maybe I’m being pedantic, but I wouldn’t call that an AR. You might be able to use some AR parts in it like triggers or buttstocks, but it’s going to require special magazines and special bcgs.

I bet lighting off 28 or 33 Nosler rounds in a semi-auto is fun, if the gun doesn’t detonate, but it’s not an AR. I’m just trying to make that distinction so the OP is aware this won’t be plug and play with other AR platforms.

edited for spelling

As mentioned above those three companies make ARs in the large caliber like 300win mag so their upper and lower should hold it. Reach out to them directly

Last edited:
So there isn’t any room to misread it, I’m not trying to completely shit on the OP’s desire to get a semi-auto 28 Nosler, I just wouldn’t call that an AR like I wouldn’t call a BAR (of any sort), M1 Garand, or an FAL an AR, and that means coming to those platforms with platform-specific expectations.

Hearing @lowlight mentioning a time he was at the range and a magnum semi-auto exploded has stuck with me, so I’ll be wary of the platform until it’s proven itself. Given that ARs in .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor are already much less common at the shooting ranges I go to, and the niche-caliber nature of the Nosler chamberings, I don’t know if the platform will prove itself to me. On the other hand, I don’t have a background in engineering or metallurgy, so don’t take my paranoia as law. If you do pick one up, I’m interested to hear what you think about it.

The short action (AR-10, LR-308, SR25, GII,etc) AR market is rife with proprietary designs and incompatibility issues. Maybe not quite as proprietary as long actions, but nothing like AR-15's. What would fit the definition of a "AR" would be based on ones perspective. It does, however, appear that the OP may no longer be interested in the discussion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coffee_and_Pipes