• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Range Report .280 Ackley Improved any better than other 7mms?

VKC

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2010
Battle Born, U.S.A.
I have several heavier rifles in different calibers, but am looking for a lighter hunting rig. Planning on hunting mostly deer and up to elk, but nothing bigger. Looking for something a custom less than 12 to 13 pounds with scope. Going to be shooting in mostly open to semi-open country or western US, and not dense woods.

I already have a 7mm WSM but it's too heavy to pack for hunting. The other calibers that I have are 5.56NATO, 308win & 6.5 Creedmoor. Yes, I reload and that is why I posted this question in this section to target reloaders and shooters that actually have experience in shooting and reloading 280AI.

Yes, I realize that a 7mm rem mag is more popular, and has more loaded ammo, etc...but it is too similar to a 7mm WSM for me to consider.

Also considered 6.5x284 but it is similar to 6.5 Creedmoor, so likely not. I know it will get more velocity and thus range, but prefer 7s for higher BC and more downrange energy for elk.

Should I stick with a 7mm WSM, or is a .280AI "different" enough to give me an advantage with a shorter barrel and reduced recoil. I'm indifferent about using a muzzle brake, either way as I probably won't shoot extended sessions.

Thanks.

Re: .280 Ackley Improved any better than other 7mms?

I my opinion, there is not enough ballistic difference in the 5 big 7mm cartridges (280/280AI, 7 WSM, 7 SAUM, 7 Mag, 284) to justify switching from one to the other.

If you already have a WSM, and you load for it, you should build a light weight version of that. Or better yet, make yours a switch barrel with a light profile barrel and a light hunting scope.

That's what I thought, but wanted to ask. Anyone else?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GreatGonzo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I my opinion, there is not enough ballistic difference in the 5 big 7mm cartridges (280/280AI, 7 WSM, 7 SAUM, 7 Mag, 284) to justify switching from one to the other.

If you already have a WSM, and you load for it, you should build a light weight version of that. Or better yet, make yours a switch barrel with a light profile barrel and a light hunting scope. </div></div>

The 280AI will beat or hang with all those calibers, but all are very close, I agree with GreatGonzo about building a lightweight WSM.

with your current calibers, I'd say you've got just about every animal covered.

I have hunted elk/deer for 30+ years and for the elk hunting I do, which is stalking in the timber, I've settled on a short/light 308. And that 308 can kill deer/elk out to 800+ if you're up to it.

I'm a new owner of a 280AI, still doing load development, and so far it's a shooter. I wanted something "different" and that's why I did it. So far so good.

thanks for input. I figured as much and will likely stick with the calibers that I have. I'm always looking for an excuse for a new rifle and like tinkering with new calibers.

If you do get a WSM built I would strongly consider a long action. The short action can really force you to get the bullet far down in the case. Not just considering the mag length but also the port is too short for a full length 180VLD

Curious,what is a full length 180VLD? What COAL are you inferring?

I'll agree with most of the other comments; build a lighter version of the WSM. I have been shooting mine for going on 7 years now (working on the 3rd barrel on this particular rifle now). I know it, and its performance.

With a 180 grain projectile at 2,900 fps, its hard to find something that shoots flatter or with less wind unless you are really looking to stretch the range.

My long-throated version runs right at 3.20" COAL using a Berger 180, Matrix 190, or Cauterucio 189. This is single-shot only from my Surgeon short action.

My Short Action Magazine version COAL 2.820" runs comfortably to 2,850 fps, but not up to 2,900 fps without pressure signs

JeffVN

I have a pair of .280 Rems (not Improved), a sporter and a varmint weight, otherwise identical Ruger MKI's.

They utterly thrive on HDY Superformance 139gr SST loads. On paper, this is a 1Kyd load. Very accurate at within-200yd deer hunting distances (so far that's as far as I've been shooting them). Pricey, about $40 for a box of 20. For hunting, cheap at twice the price. I handload 150gr NOS BT's w/55gr H4350, highly adequate,

If I ever needed more than that, I think I'd be in serious trouble.

Greg

vkc, i've played with .280AI & .284 for years on Remington 700 platforms. i have sold both. both shot well on hand loads. the .280AI chronied @ 3074(the best) with a 140gr. With the new Hornady Superformance ammo the 7mm-08 needs a hard look. Lynn

If I had to do it again. I may have gone with an 280AI or 7mm-08 to start with instead of a 7mm WSM, because of having more complete powder burn for a shorter barrel. But then the grass is always greener on the other side. On the other hand the extra velocity of the 7mm WSM is nice.

Looks like the way to go for me is a 7mm WSM in a long action. My other 7mm WSM is in a short action with Alpha mag, but has a 28" barrel, so I can make up some velocity with the lower powder capacity of a short-action with the longer barrel.

Any thought about how short of a barrel I can go with to balance velocity with portability? I'm thinking 26".