• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.280 Ackley Improved Feeding Problems

quantum105

Private
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2010
Olympia, Wa.
I've been looking for a new project and like the .280 AI. Flat shooting near 7mm RM performance with reloads without the recoil. Although I have heard there are feeding issues in most bolt actions! Is this true or is it one persons interpretation of smooth feeding or is it true in certain bolt action manufactures. The guns intended use is for long range shooting to 1000 yards and the occasional hunt using berger 168 VDL or hornady 162 A- Max bullets.

Thanks,
Ed

Re: .280 Ackley Improved Feeding Problems

I shoot a 280AI and have never had a feeding issue, but I use AICS 300WM mags. Not a problem!

I've run a 280ai now for 2000 or so rounds. The last one in a savage no less. They feed fine. Run almost up to a 7wsm. And have a little advantage in capacity for a bolt gun. The 10 round long action ai mags hold 12. Now the bad. Brass, either buy hornady or fireform. I am already setup for it so I am building another one. This makes three. However I would play with the numbers on a regulare 280 vs the ai version. I'm thinking by adding 2 inches of barrel you may be able to get ai numbers from reg 280 with no brass issues to deal with. I'm no pro but I have run this rig in several matches with pretty good finishes. 162s are the go to bullet. Cheaper than the others and shoot great. You can ask me anything else I didn't think of.
T

T,
I didn't know Hornady made .280 AI brass, good to know. I did know that nosler makes .280 AI brass. Is there any difference in quality vs. cost? I also heard that the AI brass last longer? Myth or reality? How long of a barrel do you suggest. I was thinking 26". Barrel life is about 3000 rounds or more if I have researched correctly. Now the is there is not to many .280 people out there so why do you shoot it? Thanks again,

Ed

I'm running the 280AI built off of a Winchester with Williams BM- not a DBM. I have not had any issues feeding with my set-up. I get 2950fps pushing the 162 A-max with a dose of 4831SC from Nosler brass. As far as I know, Hornady does not make 280AI brass- gotta go with Nosler if you don't want to fire form. My barrel is a 26" 1:9 twist that also handles the 168 VLD pretty well too.
I really like the 280AI- near 7RM/ 7WSM performance, 59-60gr powder vs. 70-75 with the magnums, less recoil, reliable feeding, factory brass available, easy to load for........ok, I'll stop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: REMY308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">T,
I didn't know Hornady made .280 AI brass, good to know. I did know that nosler makes .280 AI brass. Is there any difference in quality vs. cost? I also heard that the AI brass last longer? Myth or reality? How long of a barrel do you suggest. I was thinking 26". Barrel life is about 3000 rounds or more if I have researched correctly. Now the is there is not to many .280 people out there so why do you shoot it? Thanks again,

Ed </div></div>
You are correct it is nosler. Not sure what I was thinking. I shoot 28 plus break. 56 gr of rl 17 gets to 1000 at about 6.6 to 6.8 @759 asl. With this being said. Rl 17 is the fastest powder you can shoot but don't do it. You get in a 100 degree day match and you won't be able to open your bolt. I am going to 4831 or h1000.
Why do I shoot it?
These are my reasons.
Long barrel life
Stays with a Win mag with less powder and less recoil/ blast
If you were in a pinch you could make brass fron almost anything.
Hits like a bus at long range. There is no debate with the ro on a hit.
Holds 12 in long action win mag mag

Moon is building me one right now on a pierce action with at least a 28 in barrel. I told him as long as it would finish. It is sitting in an elisio tube stock. It's gonna be bad news when I get it running.
Holds 12 in long action win mag mag
If you are not a match shooter you will still likely need detachable system. There may not be enough room I the standard box to seat the bullets correctly. I just built one for a hunting gun and had to put a box on it for tht reason.

Edit to say I am not changing my hunting load. It will stay rl17. But for my match gun I have to leave it for instability.
T

That fits in a 30-06 action easily. maybe I'll just rebarrel my 06.

I have a 280AI being built right now by APA. In all of my conversations with Jered before the build and all of the research we did before the build, I never once saw anyone mention anything about trouble feeding out of a long action. Mine is being built on a 1980ish Remington 700 LA. Gun is almost complete. I'll let you guys know if there is any issues in feeding.

MIne is a pure hunting rifle at 6lbs 14 oz all up and it is a Kimber, I like the CRF. I have found it to be a very accurate cartridge, pretty easy to load for and hits like a ton of bricks. I have only shot hunting style bullets, BT's, NP's, AB's, SST, interlocks and Berger hunting but they are all under 1 MOA. I recently shot the best group ever that measured .186 with 63.0 gr of Vit N165 and the 140gr TTSX at 3100 fps.

You will love it, but make sure you know which reamer your gunsmith is using. The commercial SAAMI round that was pushed into the market by Nosler is not the same as the original. I know this because I bought some Redding dies for the original AI and they would not touch the shoulder no matter how much I cammed over the press. I called Redding and sent them the die and a few fired cases and they confirmed I had the commercial chamber. They were great and sent me a new die because they have both.

In my origional post it was just one blogger from another forum that said there were feeding issues. With that said before embarking on a build I thought I would do a little research with people with some experience with the cartridge. I truely appreciate everyone's input as it helps make a good informed decision. Please feel free to add more or as much as you want.

Thanks everyone,

Ed

I have had 3 280AI's and have never had a feeding problem with any of them. Oh, 1 was a Winchester, and 2 were Rem. 700's.

I've got 1635 rounds on my BDL 280AI. All but 1 of those at either paper or steel targets. (Piggy didn't make it..) It's the Ackely version and not the SAAMI one. Oneteam is right, make sure you know which reamer you're using. Headspace will be different.
Using Nosler brass I got 15 reloads on the last batch annealing ever other cylce. I trimmed em twice. Once out of the box to uniform em up and once at #9, if I remember right. They don't grow much. Primer pockets got a little loose after 15 go rounds, so I ditched em. $65 per 50 but I got my goodie out of em!

63.5g Retumbo, Fed 215M primer and 162g Amax gives 3050 into .6-.7MOA and is my 1000 yd load.

61.5g Retumbo and 168 Berger hunting bullet goes 2950 into .7-.8 MOA.

Rem 700 BDL 1:9 Bartlein 26" plus Vias= 28". NEVER had a failure to feed or extract...(well once it didn't want to extract a 140g Berger w/ RE 22 at 3393fps in 105 degree heat: was 3220 in 60 degrees.....case blew out and I got the pleasure of having a custom bolt face egraved w/ "Nosler 280 Ackley Improve" in a nice brass finish AND a broken extractor. I don't use Reloader any longer).
It's a former 30-06 and there is PLENTY of room to load into the lands on a standard AI reamer. I load the Amax .005 OFF and the Berger .050 OFF.

I suspect you'll be happy w/ a 280AI. I know I am! Good luck.

I had some issues with my Manners mini-chassis and the 300 WM AICS mags. Had to go to a shorter length mag release, which allowed the mag to sit lower in the stock. My 280AI now feeds, but if there's any upward pressure on the AICS mag, it causes problems.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...868#Post3509868

Good luck - Lowe
Hey man I have a mini chassis on order with Manners right now for my 280 AI build. Already had issues with an Accurate Mag 30-06 magazine sitting too high in a Cadex chassis for bolt to close so kind of expecting something similar to happen when stock gets here. Did you modify the mag catch or did manners have something for you?

Hey man I have a mini chassis on order with Manners right now for my 280 AI build. Already had issues with an Accurate Mag 30-06 magazine sitting too high in a Cadex chassis for bolt to close so kind of expecting something similar to happen when stock gets here. Did you modify the mag catch or did manners have something for you?
That was a decade ago. I would call manners with your question for manners.

That was a decade ago. I would call manners with your question for manners.

I was asking about your experience, not for advice. "Its been a while I dont remember" would be a good response.

I'm still alive. But my memory is shot! Manners sent me some different length mag catches. Don't remember if I used one of those or modified one. Don't own the rifle any longer either. But it fed fine after that. You'll figure it out. @Yaremkiv

I'm still alive. But my memory is shot! Manners sent me some different length mag catches. Don't remember if I used one of those or modified one. Don't own the rifle any longer either. But it fed fine after that. You'll figure it out. @Yaremkiv
right on, thanks