• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 280 AI build

NannySlayer

Private
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.gdi4x4.com
I am gathering info on a .280 AI I am going to build for a hunting rifle. I have found a stainless 700 receiver but it is a magnum LA. will this work or are the magnum receivers different? Thanks for the help.

Just finished my first build and it is a 280ai, I believe the action should be the same however the bolt face will be too big. Your options will be to find a different action or bolt or buy a PTG replacement bolt. My two cents, if I am wrong let me know.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If you go with a new bolt I would recommend getting the mini-16 extractor and the Winchester style 3-position safety. I made those mods to my Rem Ti action when I built an ultralight 280AI.

Edit: My rifle was an '06 from the factory and fed the AI cases fine.

I have a switch barrel 700 the was origionally a 300wm. I bought a PTG bolt with a .473 boltface (not oversized). I trued the action with the PTG action blueprinting toolkit and lapped the lugs of the new bolt to the trued action. I use Criterion Remage barrels (the button-rifled division of Krieger). The Remage barrel is a remington 700 barrel that utilizes a savage style barrel nut and makes building a custon rifle truly within the realm of a do it yourselfer. My long action 700 is the host for .284 win, .308 win, 6.5x47, and 30-06. If you google search northland shooter supply, call the number and talk to jim briggs. He has a large inventory of remage barrels in different contours, calibers and lengths. He sells a .280ai match chamber that is throated for the 180 weight class of vlds and such. It allows max case capacity with heavy bullets and easily mag feeds in any longaction magazine. Food for thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk