• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

280AI Ammo

cjs88

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jan 7, 2020
    TEXAS
    Where is it all? Haven't seen any on ammo seek in weeks.

It
    Where is it all? Haven't seen any on ammo seek in weeks.
    I’m a 280ai shooter. It appears to me that the 280ai has really taken off lately. It also seems that the market is being slow to realize this, especially with the demand of the past year…..

I've noticed. I ordered some regular 280 yesterday for mine. At least I'll get some fire formed Norma brass out of it for when I get in to reloading.

Also, if I zero my rifle with 280 vice 280AI or vice versa, will the zero be different? I have 280AI 155gr terminal ascent I can use or the new 125gr Norma Kalahari 280 I bought.

I've noticed. I ordered some regular 280 yesterday for mine. At least I'll get some fire formed Norma brass out of it for when I get in to reloading.

Also, if I zero my rifle with 280 vice 280AI or vice versa, will the zero be different? I have 280AI 155gr terminal ascent I can use or the new 125gr Norma Kalahari 280 I bought.
    Yes, I would expect the zero to shift with different ammo.

What would have the least shift you think? 280>280ai or 280ai>280?

I would zero with the AI ammo, then plink with the fire forming ammo. They might not be that far off at 100 yards, but only 1 way to find out.

What would have the least shift you think? 280>280ai or 280ai>280?
    Sorry I don’t know. I think you are looking at this a bit wrong from the get-go.

I have 280AI 155gr terminal ascent I can use or the new 125gr Norma Kalahari 280 I bought.

If I understand correctly, the above are the two you are comparing. It looks like aside from the same bore these are distinctly different ammo in almost every way. Meaning bullet, case, case dimensions, bullet weight, velocity, powder, brass manufacturer etc.

Expecting these to have a predictable variance is a unreasonable. The best you can do is shoot them and zero for one then document your offset with the other.

If it were me? I would get my zero close and fire-form the 280. Then dial my zero in on the 280 AI and shoot. But that is me.

When you go to reload, you are going to once again have different brass. Be aware of this. One brass can be thicker and have less capacity thereby driving up pressure/ velocity vs. another brass. Also, I have never fire-formed but make sure the brass gets fully formed. Measure against the non-fire-forned to make sure it expanded fully.