• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

280AI-bullet & powder advice

freebird63

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2010
Boise, Idaho USA
I have a custom 280AI, it has a 26" douglas barrel with 1-9 twist.
I have been trying to decide on which bullet and powder combination to use. I have tried the following:
140gr accubond with H4831SC
162gr A-Max with H1000
Some have suggested 154gr hornady SST's
Some have also suggested 168gr bergers
As far as powder goes some say stay with H4831SC and some say use RL22 or H4350.
The two main things I want to do with this gun is hunt mule deer and shoot at a gong out to 1000 yards.
Any suggestions people????
Thank you....Chuck

Re: 280AI-bullet & powder advice

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: freebird63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a custom 280AI, it has a 26" douglas barrel with 1-9 twist.
I have been trying to decide on which bullet and powder combination to use. I have tried the following:
140gr accubond with H4831SC
162gr A-Max with H1000
Some have suggested 154gr hornady SST's
Some have also suggested 168gr bergers
As far as powder goes some say stay with H4831SC and some say use RL22 or H4350.
The two main things I want to do with this gun is hunt mule deer and shoot at a gong out to 1000 yards.
Any suggestions people????
Thank you....Chuck </div></div>

VV N165 ,fed 210M primers,140 Accubonds, very fast and accurate!

VV N165 ,fed 210M primers,140 Accubonds, very fast and accurate!
ackleyfan can you elaborate more on this load??? how temp sensitive is the VV N165 powder? and anymore details??
I have plenty of 140gr accubonds on hand, but none of that powder or match primers, just have F210's and WLR on hand and it seems the WLR are a tad hotter and very stable, at least for me.

just use the Fed 210's, N165 is very good powder for the 280AI, Temp stability I can't say but I never had any issues with high temps...work up to 62.5 grs

Am not sure what part of the country your in, I am in Boise, Idaho. Generally I do most of my load workup in the early mornings during summer time and then when it heats up and the wind start whipping out in the desert I come home. Or if the military runs me off as I shoot out in their training area, ya they send out their blackhawk helicopters and thats my cue to leave. But anyways our deer season starts October 10th and runs to October 31st and we can go from 70 degrees to 20 degrees and a foot of snow. I use to have a 300RUM and tried hodgdon US869 and that powder hated cold weather. I have never tried VV powder. I can't wait to get some to try. Thank you again.

I use 4831sc with the 162 Amax, nothing but good things from this combo, I have not had any reason to change powder

I never used H4831SC for the 162gr A-Maxes, but did get good results from H1000, at 200 yards a quarter would cover 4 shots, speed wise I was getting about 2950fps. I get nervous when I hear people say those bullets are not any good for hunting. I have not used them hunting yet.

is this load for target or hunting?

I use the 162 Amax for target shooting and the 168 berger for hunting. have the 160g ABs but haven't yet done load development for these. All my recipes are posted in the link i shared earlier. Both loads <0.5moa at 500yd out of a GAP built rifle.

I would like to find a load that does both if thats possible???
I am not sure of my hunting as I am now disabled, bought a license and tag this year and didn't even get to go as the mind said go but the back said oh no your not going anywhere.
Alot of people have said not to use the amaxes for hunting and Aaron Davidson from long range pursuit says to use 168gr bergers.

freebird63 I have to agree with using the bergers. I use them in my 308 and they do really good on both ends accuracy and for hunting purpose. When I get mine built (should have it by the end of the month)I plan working up loads for 140 & 168 bergers. I will keep you posted on the results. Good luck.

My problem is I have to pretty much find one load and use it for everything as I don't have the money to buy different powders and bullets, I am disabled and it just might be from here on out all I can do is target shoot. Hiking up the hills is not in the cards for me anymore. I have yet to kill a mule deer buck. I am a meat guy, the horns don't feed the family and no way can I afford to ever have a trophy mounted if I was to ever kill one. I just may have to save up for a box of 168's then and give it a try. Please keep me posted on your results. Thanks....Chuck

I was using RL19, 57.0 grns 140 BT in a 280, i bought a 280AI and fire formed with loads i had it shot great so i have been using it for years. The BT has killed deer and hogs,i loaded 140 AB last year and they did the same. I need to chrono it again because i can't remember what it was.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSKevin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is this load for target or hunting?

I use the 162 Amax for target shooting and the 168 berger for hunting.
<span style="color: #CC0000">I 100% agree with this statement.
4831SC for the A-Maxes and RL22 for the Bergers. I have had less than stellar (although fatal) results on game with the A-Max in this combo.
</span>
<0.5moa at 500yd out of a GAP built rifle.
<span style="color: #CC0000">Same results, same plumbers
wink.gif
</span></div></div>

Hunting load....

Hornady 162 SST
H4831SC

Kills stuff just fine.

I got a 280 AI recently, a Nosler with a 24" Pacnor
with factory 140 AB load it does ragged hole groups at 100 and about 2.5 at 500

not bad for a light sporter weight barrel
very effective on deer and hogs

I am about to start reloading and have some 140s to test along with varying powder on hand, IMR4350, H1000, H4350, H4831

I am going to start with trying to duplicate the Nosler load, using the same COAL and working up a few different podwers

I will be running Nosler brass and Fed GM primers and starting with the 140s but would like to try some of the Bergers too

take a look at Nosler's load data for the 280

take a look at Nosler's load data for the 280

For what little I was able to try out my gun, the H4831SC with winchester large rifle primers and 140gr accubonds were pretty awesome. Then I moved up to the 162gr amaxes with H1000 and at 200 yards I could cover a 4 shot group with a quarter. I hear alot of good things about the 168gr bergers with both H4831SC and Magpro. Some also like the RE22, but for me and such a temp spread in Idaho am not sure I can afford to work up a summer load and a winter load. But there are others on here that know more about the 280AI then me.

Freebird.... if cost is a pretty significant issue, one thing to keep in mind is the cost delta in bullets (Amax = $26/100, Berger = $41/100). If you are primarily target shooting with an occasional hunting outing, you may want to focus your reloading components around the 162g AMAX and buy one box of factory Nosler ABs for the occasional hunting.

The load that works best for me with the 162g Amax is IMR4831 (57.0g), F210 primer, nosler brass. 2925fps MV out of a 24" bartlein.