• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

284 shehane?

pinzmann

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2005
yucca valley, ca
Got a spare long action and have been wanting to do something in 7mm. Been hearing good things about the 284 Shehane. Been trying to find a supplier of reloading dies for this caliber. Anything out there?

Re: 284 shehane?

I think dies are from Bill only, and they are NOT cheap. But, I guess one could have a set made, probably for less. Nothing wrong with the straight 284, which I shoot also, but you gotta run more pressure to get close the velocity you can get without pressure in the 284SH...but then, thats the reason it exists. If you arent shooting 1000 yard matches, I wouldnt mess with getting the extra FPS cause it doesnt come cheap.

One of the other changes to the SH version is that the throat is pushed out rather long on freebore. This tends to hinder barrel life even more because you run out of room to chase the lands with the fussy VLD's.

If you want speed for 1K matches run the 284SH or go to a 7 SAUM, if you're just running on steel and steel matches the 284 is an excellent round.

If you're having the reamer made shoot me a PM and I'll give you the details on the striaght 284 reamer that I've had made up for a buddy that is shooting 175 SMK's and 180 VLD's. It seems to be doing very well.

One of the other changes to the SH version is that the throat is pushed out rather long on freebore. This tends to hinder barrel life even more because you run out of room to chase the lands with the fussy VLD's.

If you want speed for 1K matches run the 284SH or go to a 7 SAUM, if you're just running on steel and steel matches the 284 is an excellent round.

If you're having the reamer made shoot me a PM and I'll give you the details on the striaght 284 reamer that I've had made up for a buddy that is shooting 175 SMK's and 180 VLD's. It seems to be doing very well.

Josh, I know this is an ancient thread, but do you still have access to a Shehane reamer? If so, what is the freebore? I was thinking about having a barrel made for my Tikka throated Short Action-length for mag feeding.

Josh, I know this is an ancient thread, but do you still have access to a Shehane reamer? If so, what is the freebore? I was thinking about having a barrel made for my Tikka throated Short Action-length for mag feeding.
I do not have a shehane reamer. I still have a LA 284 reamer, I used it 2x in the past 3 years. No business case to keep a Shehane around.

I see. Thanks for replying. I know there is definitely a limited market for it—Do you think it’s not worth the trouble to go Shehane over .284 win at this point? I was thinking of using it for a tactical hunter type of rifle build, so I thought having it would help offset some of the room the bullet was taking up if done SA. I’d consider 7SAUM too, but I like the idea of staying .308 boltface on my Tikka and Lapua brass is usually plentiful where I’m located.

I see. Thanks for replying. I know there is definitely a limited market for it—Do you think it’s not worth the trouble to go Shehane over .284 win at this point? I was thinking of using it for a tactical hunter type of rifle build, so I thought having it would help offset some of the room the bullet was taking up if done SA. I’d consider 7SAUM too, but I like the idea of staying .308 boltface on my Tikka and Lapua brass is usually plentiful where I’m located.

In prs matches it is a Canon, few if any are using stuff that big. The latest bullets out there now are exceptional, I think the 284 brings a huge amount to the table without going to an Ackley or Shehane variant.

What is the action length on your tikka? My long action 284 reamer is just under 3.2 for 180 hybrids, if you had a tikka from a 3006 it would be perfect.

Well I currently have the action in a bravo so it’s limited to short action—though I know the action is a bolt stop away from running long action. I have a 6.5 Creedmoor custom barrel currently that’s my match rifle but I thought it’d be cool to do either a lighter contour or a carbon barrel and in something 7mm so I could use it for hunting and it’d be a little lighter/have a bit more energy at distance. I have been thinking of just eventually doing a build on an xm action, and I know that’d be a much better option but it may be a while before I could do a dedicated build.

Hmm... in that case then going to a Shehane variant would give you some extra snot. Though the 284 by itself, using AICS mags without a front binder plate in them, is going to give you a lot of performance. It might not be a bad idea, you can always push it open to a Shehane if it doesn't do what you want. But 50fps-75fps isn't going to make a whole lot of difference in the wind call with those bullets. Not inside 1200yd anyway.

My 284 Shehane has a 190 freebore Im almost certain. Does can be had from hidden now too. I have a slow barrel and with norma brass on a 27” barrel I’m just below 2800 with 180s

not only is it a bit much for prs. The long action magazines are 5 rounds

Reactions: bohem and 4-Co LR