• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition .284 win and H1000 powder

Re: .284 win and H1000 powder

I may be wrong here, but I believe that there are better suited powders for the .284. If I am wrong someone will corect me, then we will both know.
smile.gif
If you pm me with some load info such as bullet,overall lenght, and barrel lenght I will run it on QL.

A fellow F-Open shooter at my club has shot a .284 Win. with IMR 7828SSC, and has gotten higher velocities (like ~2950-3000fps) than with H4831SC (I'm getting 2870fps).

I don't see why it may not work. It being a single based powder, would or at least should increase your bbl's life spand. I for one would be interested in your results if you end up trying it! H1000 is the go to powder in the 6SLR & Competition Match rounds. Pushing a 105 @ 3200 fps and with claims of 3000 round bbl life. It would make one wonder about the powder. I would say using the Hornady 162's would be a better pill to use with this powder. Also, in reality, your not really losing much to the 180's with the Hornady bullet and the recpil will be a lil softer too boot!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nhm16</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A fellow F-Open shooter at my club has shot a .284 Win. with IMR 7828SSC, and has gotten higher velocities (like ~2950-3000fps) than with H4831SC (I'm getting 2870fps).
</div></div>

around 2850 is where the accuracy node is for most people. You can also reload it forever in that range. Velocities in the 2950-3000fps range aren't realistic from unimproved cases with 180 grain bullets, even out of 32" barrels. I have tried reloader 17 and gotten velocities up to 2950 but consistency is no bueno. People with improved 284s shooting in that ballpark get 3 reloadings out of their brass. H4831SC or H4350 at 2850-2870 is the sweet spot.

Topshot, I use it in my 284 Shehane. 30" 5r. It will not get to those speeds. Might have a slow barrel though. It is right around the H4831 velocity for me. Start a round 54grs and work up one round at a time until you see any sign of pressure. Then back down 1 full gr then start back in .2 increments and check your velocity's. 7828 does well also. But my reason for H1000 is barrel life. Hope this helps..

I don't see why it may not work. It being a single based powder, would or at least should increase your bbl's life spand. I for one would be interested in your results if you end up trying it! H1000 is the go to powder in the 6SLR & Competition Match rounds. Pushing a 105 @ 3200 fps and with claims of 3000 round bbl life. It would make one wonder about the powder. I would say using the Hornady 162's would be a better pill to use with this powder. Also, in reality, your not really losing much to the 180's with the Hornady bullet and the recpil will be a lil softer too boot!

When it comes to the 162's I think it depends what your doing with them. I think in F-class or tactical comps you should run the 180's. The 162's drift about 5 to 7 inch's more than the 180's at 1k. That is the difference between a score of 9 or 10. Just depends on what kind of velocity you run the 162's. Myself along with other people have tried the amax bullets at long range and haven't had much luck with them.

TOPSHOT: Like a few others have said, stick with the 4831SC. You can't go wrong with it. It's very consistant and gets good velocity. You should get a minum of 1500 rounds out of 284. I would say more realisticly around 2000 to 2500. If you want more than that out of a competition gun you are probably in the wrong sport.

As far as the 3000 fps with a .284 goes. That is a pipe dream. You may get that velocity but it won't be accurate and your brass will only last one or two firings. If your lucky.
Before someone says I get 3000 fps and 10 firings on my brass!

Look at the current state: If that was possible don't you think the US Open team would be shooting the 284's instead of having to shoot 7wsm's and 300wsm to get that kind of velocity.

If you want some more help or advice with the .284 shoot me a pm.

KT

Last edited:
I should be receiving my 284 in the next few weeks. The majority of smiths and shooters I have spoken with agree that the 180 hybrid and H4831SC is the go to setup for a straight 284. I find no need to reinvent the wheel since many have been successful with that combo.

I have had some success with VV-160,CCI BR-2, and the 175/180 class bullets in the straight 284 Winchester. Might consider that as well. Bill Vaughan