• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

284 win build finished!!

pyplynr

Minuteman
Apr 4, 2010
Oklahoma
Started this project in April with an action that I had no idea what to do with. Here's what I came up with. Sorry for the crappy pic.

DSCN0045.jpg

Specs

Savage 110 long action
Shilen Select Stainless Match bull barrel 28" long w/ 1/8 twist, chambered in .284 Win, threaded for brake and suppressor
Center Shot Rifles removable 3 port Muscle Brake
NSS competition recoil lug
XLR Evolution Chassis w/folding tactical buttstock and DBM
Timney trigger set at 2.5lbs
Badger bolt knob conversion done by me
Atlas V8.1 bipod
EGW 20 MOA base
Seekins extra high 30mm rings
Nighforce NXS 5.5-22x50 ZS/HS with NPR-1 reticle
Duracoat colors: WWII OD Green, Black, Woodland Brown and a Light Tan I mixed myself from other colors

Re: 284 win build finished!!

Thinking 180 VLD's, Win brass, Fed 210m primers and H4831sc @ 3.2" OAL. I've got some 162 amax's and 175 SMK's to try out also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toddconley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How long did it take to get the chasis? </div></div>

11 weeks. It was when Kyle was having problems getting his buffer tubes from his supplier. It's been sitting in my shop for about a month.

Very nice. I am going to go .284 once my 7mmRM barrel is done. Post up some load development when you can. Very interested in the results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyplynr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thinking 180 VLD's, Win brass, Fed 210m primers and H4831sc @ 3.2" OAL. I've got some 162 amax's and 175 SMK's to try out also. </div></div>

6.5-284 Lapua Brass necked up
Federal Large Match Rifle primers
H4831SC
3.21" OAL
162 Amax

Thats what I run. After 80 rounds down the pipe my FPS jumped up and im right at 3000fps.

Dont forget about the 168's or the 180 hybrids.
Just leave your options open.........

Also, I forgot to add, sweet looking rifle.

Very nice! I'm curious as to how much it weighs. I have an old Remington 700 LA that I have been thinking of using for a similar project.

834a477c.jpg

Mine is .284 also. Throated for 180 bergers. I use nosler match brass in 6.5x.284 necked up. Current load is 52gr of RL-17. Gives me around 2840 fps. I load my rounds to bench rest standards. My problem is my accuracy is pretty poor so far. The rifle was built by a bench rest smith so I am pretty sure its my ammo. I will keep tuning but was wondering what results you were geting?
9e93761e.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lakeway</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice! I'm curious as to how much it weighs. I have an old Remington 700 LA that I have been thinking of using for a similar project.</div></div>

16.8 lbs according to my bathroom scale

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mike4764</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> wondering what results you were geting? </div></div>

Haven't shot it yet. I've got to cut my alfalfa before I can get on my range. Planning on shooting next weekend.

Very cool. I'll have an FN SPR (short action) in 284 ready in the spring. With Alpha mags my COAL limitation is 2.975, so I'm sure I'm giving up a smidge of potential, but I'm still convinced it'll beat the pants off a 260. Cant wait to see. Can't wait for your range report!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mike4764</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
834a477c.jpg

Mine is .284 also. Throated for 180 bergers. I use nosler match brass in 6.5x.284 necked up. Current load is 52gr of RL-17. Gives me around 2840 fps. I load my rounds to bench rest standards. My problem is my accuracy is pretty poor so far. The rifle was built by a bench rest smith so I am pretty sure its my ammo. I will keep tuning but was wondering what results you were geting?
9e93761e.jpg
</div></div>

Try H4831SC 58.5 gr
162gr Hornady Amax

See where that gets you.