• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 284 Win Or 7WSM?

Johnny Lately

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2011
SA, TX
Any opinions on which to get?

I'm planning a new build and want to decide which round to get. Has to be a 7mm bullet though.

Intended use will be steel shooting out to 1000 with no hunting except on a few pigs. Longer barrel life is a plus and I would be willing to give up some performance for barrel life. I handload so availability of ammo isn't a concern.

What I am concerned about though, is brass quality. Winchester is the only maker of 7WSM and with 284 Win, I can neck up 6.5-284 Win Lapua brass for quality brass.

Advanced search only turned out one thread dedicated to the topic; so I figured to get more advice.

So, what say you?

Re: 284 Win Or 7WSM?

284, neck up Lapua 6.5-284.

Worth what you paid for it.

For barrel life .284.
For performance, WSM.

2 questions.

1: How fast can you push a Hornday 162 with a .284?

2: What is barrel life of a .284?

I ask because I don't really see a whole lot of advantage of going 7mm unless you plan on using the big 180 bullets. With those, inside of a 1000 yards is way over kill. If you said you wanted to go past 1000 7 WSM is the clear choice.

I helped build a 7 WSM for my brother, and think its a hell of a round. Made hits right along the side of my 338 LM.

However, admittedly I don't know that much about the .284. I guess if you can push a 162 faster than 2800 fps, and have a barrel life longer than 3500 it would be better than the main line 6.5s.

If it can't I think 6.5 would do everything you want with less recoil and less reloading expense.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2 questions.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">3000fps comfortably with 26" barrel and LONG brass life</span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">4000 is a conservative estimate. It's comparable to the 260</span></span>

However, admittedly I don't know that much about the .284. I guess if you can push a 162 faster than 2800 fps, and have a barrel life longer than 3500 it would be better than the main line 6.5s.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">The 162 @ 2800 is a reality with the 7mm-08 and a 24-26" barrel, barrel life is 5000+</span></span>
</div></div>

Comments above.

With the OP's original comments regarding barrel life vs. performance and most shots being inside 1000yd then I would strongly encourage to building the 284 Win.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it can't I think 6.5 would do everything you want with less recoil and less reloading expense. </div></div>

I already have a .260, so I want something other than a 6.5; I also have a .243 and a 300WM already.

Thanks for the advice so far y'all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FCS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">284, neck up Lapua 6.5-284.

Worth what you paid for it. </div></div>

My thoughts exactly. I love my 284!
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2 questions.

</div></div>

Im getting 2995fps with the162 amax out of a 27.5" barrel
Im getting 2766fps with the 180 bergers

The 162 is flatter to 1000 than the 180 but the 180 has a bit less drift.

Both are supersonic to right around 1500yards at around 950ft DA

My last build I debated between a 284, 7WSM, and a 7RSAUM. Went with a 284 for a couple reasons, limited to 175 grain bullet in one of the steel matches I shoot and the range I shoot at only goes out to 1020yds. The two loads I worked up are the 162 Amax at 2950 and the 175 SMK at 2830. The 175 SMK is the better 1000yd load. I could shoot either one of those bullets faster out of a 7WSM, didn't see it gaining me a lot for what I'm doing with it.

You should look at the 7mm RSAUM, it has a little more case capacity than the .284 and a little less than the WSM. Yet you can pretty much get the same velocity as a WSM. The case is shorter than both the .284 and the WSM so it will work out of a short action better. You might get a little better barrel life than the WSM, however, that is probably splitting hairs. Plus you can get Nosler or Norma brass.

I like my 7WSM.
I shoot a 168 Berger at 3,098fps.
I use Win brass and have NO issues with it. I do only basic prep. No neck turning.
I'm shooting RL-22 and it's insanely accurate.
I have a ES of ~12fps and a SD of ~ 4fps.......really, how much damn better can it get? I'm ~ 6.5 mils to 1000yds.

Asking a question like "which gun to build" is damn near pointless. Everyone is going to have a suggestion and a reason why they think its the best answer.