• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 284 winchester build

javy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2011
Texas
Picked up a Nesika long action.
Want to build something between a f class rig and hunting rifle. More targets than hunting.
Will be firing 10 shot strings ea at 500,750 and 1000
180 gr hybrids and using h4350 or h4831sc
Looking not to push things very hard... trying to achieve 2800-2850 fps
Thinking 28”

What contour would you choose

Thank you

I would think a Medium Palma would be gtg on that. I shoot a Medium Palma on my A.I. Precision match rifle (NRL competition). I haven’t seen it heat up and string shots in competition yet.
Shot a KYL (Know Your Limits) last Saturday and cleaned it twice (10 rapid shots).
That would still be light enough to pack around. MUCH better than the M40 or truck axels I sometimes see.

ETA: got to thinking....if you don’t like it, don’t worry, it’ll only last about 1000 rounds. Then you can change it if you want. Hehehe.

I run a medium Palma on mine. 30". 52gr H4350 os running 2835fps with a naked 180Hybrid. It's a single feed with a long throat to get that bearing surface way out., though I haven't found that necessary when shooting BHs or SMKs.

What is the coal on the 284 Winchester when seating 180gr vld appropriately to get some capacity back.
Trying to fit this in a 3.3 inch constraint of a Mauser 98.