• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2K to 3K Budget Rifle Seekins, Tikka, Solus, MPA

So I am looking at getting my first long range rifle. I have been researching and every time I think I know what I want, I start looking at something different. Seems they also keep on getting a little more expensive LOL. I want to keep it close to 2K, but may think about waiting a little longer and go up to the 3k mark. Problem is every time I do that it seems like it just goes up more. I already got my glass, I got a Vortex Razor Gen3 so will be good there now. I also should mention I am going with 6.5 creedmore and I don't reload.

At first I had it down to between the Solus and the Tikka. I then was looking at the Seekins Hit and thought I was sold, until I start looking at the MPA. I want to go Arca so if I put a Arca on the HIT it is getting closer to the MPA BA PMR rifle. I also looked at the MPA Matrix Pro and at 3K I really like the looks of the frame on the Matrix Pro. My main issue with the HIT was I played with the action on one at Scheels, and felt like it wasn't super smooth.

I also know that Shot show is going on this week, I haven't had the time to really see what is coming out, but would like to hear if there is anything new coming out that maybe I should wait for. I am a little excited to get a rifle, and a little ansy, but in all honestly am not in a super hurry and can wait. Not going to shoot outdoors in the winter anyways.

Side note on me, I want to learn on to shoot long range. I have never shot long range and also will more then likely be for fun and going to a range and target shoot. I don't plan on competing. As much fun as I think that would be I am a busy person and live fairly far from long distance ranges. I do like quality and cool guns so even though I probably won't shoot long range like some, I still want something on the nicer side. I don't hunt, but may try going out to SD to do some prairie dog hunting or something.
My choices if not going full custom would be Seekins Havak, Springfield CF Waypoint, SOLUS ( based on reviews) then tikka

I really appreciate everyone's input. I really fell in love with the styling of the MPA Matrix Pro, and so I decided to look to see if anyone near me carried them. Luckily I actually found a guy within a hour a way that sell MPA products and had them in stock along with other precision shooting products. He also seems knowledgeable in the sport and so I went there on Sunday.

After looking at a couple MPA and a few MDT chassis, I ended up going with a gunmetal MPA Matrix Pro Chassis. He is going to put a Orgins short action with a Prefit SS Zermatt 6.5 CM barrel 26 inch and a Triggertech trigger. I didn't get it yet, because I was in some what of a hurry and leaving for vacation, so told him to put together and will pickup when I get back.

When I get back, I am going to bring my glass and he is going to help me and show me how to mount it, and will put my suppressor on it and then he is going to help me get it zeroed there. I probably could have found this setup a little cheaper, but I think he still gave me a decent deal. I think him being local, being able to touch and feel every thing and his knowledge and willing to show me different actions and how they felt made it worth the little extra I may have paid.

I am pretty stoked and think this should be a pretty sweet setup and will definitely outshoot my skill.

I love the gunmetal Matrix Pro with my Origin! Great choice!

PRS Trainer Rifle 223 01.jpg

Reactions: DubfromGA
So I am looking at getting my first long range rifle. I have been researching and every time I think I know what I want, I start looking at something different. Seems they also keep on getting a little more expensive LOL. I want to keep it close to 2K, but may think about waiting a little longer and go up to the 3k mark. Problem is every time I do that it seems like it just goes up more. I already got my glass, I got a Vortex Razor Gen3 so will be good there now. I also should mention I am going with 6.5 creedmore and I don't reload.

At first I had it down to between the Solus and the Tikka. I then was looking at the Seekins Hit and thought I was sold, until I start looking at the MPA. I want to go Arca so if I put a Arca on the HIT it is getting closer to the MPA BA PMR rifle. I also looked at the MPA Matrix Pro and at 3K I really like the looks of the frame on the Matrix Pro. My main issue with the HIT was I played with the action on one at Scheels, and felt like it wasn't super smooth.

I also know that Shot show is going on this week, I haven't had the time to really see what is coming out, but would like to hear if there is anything new coming out that maybe I should wait for. I am a little excited to get a rifle, and a little ansy, but in all honestly am not in a super hurry and can wait. Not going to shoot outdoors in the winter anyways.

Side note on me, I want to learn on to shoot long range. I have never shot long range and also will more then likely be for fun and going to a range and target shoot. I don't plan on competing. As much fun as I think that would be I am a busy person and live fairly far from long distance ranges. I do like quality and cool guns so even though I probably won't shoot long range like some, I still want something on the nicer side. I don't hunt, but may try going out to SD to do some prairie dog hunting or something.

Slowly getting my stuff together for the extended range (for me, at least....an Eastern woods deer hunter with most shots being rock-throwing distances, lol).
The appeal of hunting has temporarily diminished....but the desire to shoot and take on the challenges of working up precision loads and gaining some discipline to be able to get consistent behind the scope to ring 400, 600, 800yd+ steel is very much growing.

Once the guns & at least one solid back-up are ready with loads, I'm going to schedule some 1:1 training.

I don't want to screw up with the self-taught shenanigans like I did with golf.....wound up having a pile of stuff to unlearn. Unlearning in my mid-50's isn't something that'll be easy....

Coup de Grace action & 26" MTU profile barrel (6GT) on order.
Went ahead and jumped on Euro Optics sale and grabbed the same scope you have, Razor Gen3 6-36X56mm. Haven't been able to stop playing with it since it arrived. Put my GameChanger over my spotting scope tripod and resting it on there....glassing the powerline that runs behind my backyard. Going to be pleased with this one, I believe.
Chassis is already here, too.

IMG_2408.jpeg

IMG_2410.jpeg

In the meantime I'm hitting the EASY BUTTON and setting up a new Bergara HMR 6.5CM that I caught on sale at my lgs. I couldn't help myself once I held it. Solid stock....adjustability to fit me....wish the barrel was a bit heftier, but ti'll work okay. Have now installed a TT Diamond and Hellfire Match brake. Gotta get it scoped with the NF 5-25x56mm that has been waiting for it. I have brass, bullets and powders to try.

IMG_2062.jpeg

Looking forward to the run range time ahead.

My son is keenly interested, too. Unlike me, he is a math wizard of the highest order.....loves the stuff. The ballistic calculations appeal to him. I can see us having some great times......I'll be having him coach me on the math. :) In attempts to keep it easier, I've gone with MILS on all my scopes (other than the duplex crosshair hunting stuff).