• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

$2K to spend without glass on a new 308

snipe10

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 10, 2010
Colorado
Ok, I know this is really a wide open question but give me your thoughts. I was thinking Steyr SSg P2, CZ 550, Tikka T3 tactical, what do ya think?

Re: $2K to spend without glass on a mew 308

If you have $2k to spend on a new 308, save up a little more and get a TRG-22, you will not regret it.

1+

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bazgab</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have $2k to spend on a new 308, save up a little more and get a TRG-22, you will not regret it. </div></div>

GAP Templar barreled action.

If I go for the TRG 22, am I better off with a TRG 42? Besides much more expensive rounds, any downside? Also I heard the Sake bipods are about $500, will they take any other?

Atlas has an adapter for the TRG. And I also vote spend the extra coin on the TRG. I love mine.

Stick with the 308. The 338LM is uber expensive and kicky round that is for people specializing in shooting beyond 1000 yards (and hitting HARD).

You can buy a Rem 700 action, put an AICS stock on it, a picatinny rail and Timney trigger (and new barrel if you need the accuracy) for around $2000.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bazgab</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have $2k to spend on a new 308, save up a little more and get a TRG-22, you will not regret it.</div></div>
Thats exactley what Im doing. I spent the long way around it going and buying a cheap rifle putting a new stock trigger barrel on it and it costs me just as much as a trg. Trust me, pay big the first time dont regret it later. Youll get youre moneys back in the long run 2

I recommend staying with 308 as well. Your initial post didn't day anything about your skill level or your uses. Range access and reloading. If these are issues, stick with 308.

Personally I am a HUGE fan of the FN SPR line. A3 for me. But they have the A5s with the detachable mags as well.

Test targets with the A3s as well.

Regards,
Greyson

Buy a Remington 700 SPS Tactical = 550-650
Throw away the stock and buy a B&C Medalist= 220
EGW 20 MOA mount= 35
Badger 30mm rings= 70
Atlas bipod= 220
Badger M5 detachable bottom metal= 320

Equals= 1400-1500

and that leaves you about 500 bucks for glass or ammo.

Can't argue with the above either.

Regards,
Greyson

+1 for the TRG-22. Mine is an absolute laser and I don't foresee ever getting rid of it.

trg-22 +1000

i built mine out of a rem 700 acc-sd but if you dont know how to bed a action or a scope rail buy the

TRG-22

i agree with mutt i did close to same build i used a a DBM from a company out of Florida, i got it from LR-WSM got it from him, it uses AI mags and is 100 dollar less than Bager and exactly the same

IMG_0848.jpg

I know the TRG is a different animal but for less than 2k you can buy my 700p with NF 3.5-15.

Just sayin'
wink.gif

I disagree on the TRG with your funds considered. I have one, and it is a fantastic rifle, but you will pay out of the ass for accessories. Get a TRG if you want to spend $175 for one 10 round magazine. You are close to the funds to get the rifle. You still need a scope mount, bipod adapter, more magazines...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeSnifter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I disagree on the TRG with your funds considered. I have one, and it is a fantastic rifle, but you will pay out of the ass for accessories. Get a TRG if you want to spend $175 for one 10 round magazine. You are close to the funds to get the rifle. You still need a scope mount, bipod adapter, more magazines... </div></div>

People complain all the time about the cost of accessories for the Sako which I just don't understand. So another Mag costs $175, how much more is that then any other mag? In the grand scheme of things the cost of the rifle is insignificant to the cost of ammo, fuel, and range fees you will incur while shooting. I have spent way more on ammo in one year then I have on my TRG and its accessories. So in my opinion people complaining about the cost of accessories are not looking at the big picture.

I suppose that is true to a certain extent, but how much more is it than other magazines? About $100 more compared to an AI mag. That's $100 I could spend on any of the above items you mentioned. Hell the difference saved buying 5 AI mags vs 5 sako mags could pay for some rifle classes.

If you can find one (check with Euro Optic) I'd say a Tikka T3 Sporter. Roughly 1700 with a nice TRG'ish stock to boot.

Or if you want you could always pick up a Tikka T3 Lite, have it rebarreled and drop it into KRG Whiskey-3 Chassis.

As for the Sako/AI magazine cost issues. If one is really that concerned with the cost of the Sako mags, they could always opt for the KRG AICS magazine adapter kit for the TRG...

-pd

Or save up another $1k and spend around 3K give or take a bit on a nice used AI AE MKII rifle, the mags are half the price of the TRG mags, comes with the mounting rail already & you'll just need the spigot mount for the Atlas bipod, then you will have one of the best factory rifles around & you can change the barrel out easily to swap between 308 and 243 if you want.

Thanks guys, just got home from watching the Broncos stink up the stadium against the Chiefs (had to get a football reference in) and am going to go with the TRG. I'm thinking 20" barrel over 26. Thoughts? Also is Europtic good to go? Anyone bought from them?

There are very few who are more gtg then Euro Optic, deal with them in confidence.