• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2nd Question: Left Eye Dominant Right Handed Shooter

KM1

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2020
Ok....after all the help I got on zeroing....I thought I'd pose this question, or problem, here as well.

I am a right handed shooter with a left eye dominance. My experience is with handguns, and I actually never knew I was left eye dominant until I started classes on handgun use and training, and it really doesn't pose a problem as I can easily shift my firearm slightly left to get appropriate sight picture with my left eye even though I am firing with my right hand. I shoot with both eyes open and have been training like this for years...so it is natural for me.

As I had mentioned in my first post, this is my first rifle and NOW this will become more of an issue. I either have to learn to use my right eye for sight picture...which is what I prefer as I am MUCH more comfortable with the firearm in my right hand, ESPECIALLY with trigger control, OR...learn to shoot left handed with my rifle.

Again, I MUCH prefer to shoot on my right side, thus my choice of the Eotech Hylographic sight as it gives a wider field of view and allows for both eyes open when shooting. My concern is how strong my left eye dominance is as my vision is clearer and better out of that left eye....and because of this it will likely pick up the green reticle first...causing issues.

My understanding is that one should mount the Eotech as far as possible down the top rail and to look through the reticle to the target. I believe, don't know for sure yet, that if the reticle is visible at all through my left eye it will pick it up immediately. I am wondering if any of you have faced this issue and what you did about it. I am thinking I might need to mount the Eotech closer so that my left eye doesn't pick up the reticle...OR...use the back up flip up Iron Sight to help guide that eye to the reticle...OR...I'll simply have to squint my left eye which will force the right eye to take over...OR...looking for suggestions on how others have handled this and their experience with this issue.

Thanks for any discussion on this.

I'm right hand left eye dominant and shoot right handed. With red dots and holographic sights it's a non-issue to shoot with both eyes open. Iron sights is a different story and I close my left eye on a rifle. Handguns I cock my head to the right to get good sight alignment. Do what works for you and keeps good fundamentals.

Reactions: bigjake83 and KM1
Just read it all the way through.

Where do you have the eotech mounted? It should be above the ejection port area.

Reactions: KM1
Not my picture but should look like this

Attachments

• SOPMOD-1.5-Clone-1024x683.jpg
    SOPMOD-1.5-Clone-1024x683.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 42
My wife is the same, left eye dominant and right handed. Once she starred to shoot left handed, she got sk much better. It was awkward at first, but after some practice, it was well worth it.

She still shoots pistols right handed.

Reactions: Zip Detmer and KM1
If at all possible shoot on your dominate side. Left eye, left hand shooting. Right & right. Would have been much better off if I had changed hands way back when I started shooting cross dominate.

OFG

I'm right hand left eye dominant and shoot right handed. With red dots and holographic sights it's a non-issue to shoot with both eyes open. Iron sights is a different story and I close my left eye on a rifle. Handguns I cock my head to the right to get good sight alignment. Do what works for you and keeps good fundamentals.

Yes...I had read that in many, many articles, that red dots and holographic sights allow both eyes to be open...which is why I had a concern about my left eye picking up that reticle first intrinsically.

So your left eye doesn't automatically try to pic up that reticle?

Can't you actually see that reticle with your left eye when sighting if you closed your right eye? That is my concern, that the reticle will automatically be a focus through the left eye with both eyes open if it can be seen with that eye...even when not focusing on it by looking "through" the reticle. If I focus on the target instead of my front sight of my handgun, that front sight stands out more to my left eye. Of course I am holding my handgun at arms length so not sure this is the same.

This is all new to me....don't even have the rifle yet...still being built.

Just read it all the way through.

Where do you have the eotech mounted? It should be above the ejection port area.

Not there yet....still waiting for PWS to finish building the rifle....don't even have the Eotech....just reading a lot and want to get a solid idea from those with experience with this on what to do.

Is that the BEST place to mount it, above the ejection port? I have read that the farther forward you can mount these the better.

Not my picture but should look like this

Mine will be the HWS EXPS2-GRN which is much shorter than that Eotech (512???), thus giving more space to move it forward if one wants. I was just wondering, based on my eye dominance issue, that it might be best for me to move it closer (like that pic) and what aiming issues, if any, that might cause.

Ok....seems to be a mixture of suggestions. Some say switch...which I would prefer not to do...but might if I have to...and to simply stay with right, keep both eyes open, and let the Holographic sight do what it is supposed to do (which since I don't have the weapon yet, not sure how that will work out, thus, my questions).

Man this is a tough one for me.....SOOOOOO much easier to adapt with a handgun. One good thing, I have ZERO experience with a riffle so whichever way I go...I will be learning from day 1!!!

Your over thinking things. Just mount it above the ejection port, call it good, and see for yourself. Your right eye will catch the holographic sight.

I've shot with loads of other individuals with our eye dominance issue over the years and they all don't have an issue with holographic sights well.

Your over thinking things. Just mount it above the ejection port, call it good, and see for yourself. Your right eye will catch the holographic sight.

I've shot with loads of other individuals with our eye dominance issue over the years and they all don't have an issue with holographic sights well.

Thanks!!! I do tend to overthink things...very analytical by nature. A hold over from my competitive gymnastic days...LOL!!!

I did not know that I had this same issue until I arrived at boot camp back in 2004. I ended up shooting everything left handed rifle and pistol. The hardest part for me was weapon manipulation like mag changes ect. After a few hours practicing dry fire ect ill never look back. I do everything in life right handed accept shooting.

Most people commenting on Cross dominant shooting I've read, regardless of sport, don't know what the fuck they're talkin about. "Just switch"..NO! Well maybe, possibly. Shoot with what you're most comfortable with. You can quite easily train the brain to use whichever I get like for whatever situation is necessary without squinting without closing your eyes, just by thinking about it.

I to cross eye dominant. Been living with wandering eye, each eye, since birth. WowWhile with a Rifle &with a Rifle and Pistol it doesn't matter if I shoot right-handed or left-handed, and use the eye of my choosing. Unfortunately I have a an astigmatism in my dominant eye so I'm completely fuked there.

Dealing with this a couple of decades ago the common consensus was to wear a patch over the dominant eye... Wrong again. Patching does not work. The reason being is the brain needs input from both eyes. Soon as you take the patch off guess what the brain thinks who well I can see out of my dominant eye I'm going to choose that one. The brain needs to see basically a shity image and make the choice to use the clear image this can be achieved with shooting glasses and Scotch tape... not the Super clear stuff, old school crappie stuff.

Real simple. Start reading a book, watching TV, shooting, go outside and start focusing and looking at different objects at different distances... all wise saying right eye, right eye, right eye. It'll be a little awkward at first but quickly you'll adapt.

Some people can easily switch sides and shoot, some people have difficulty. I look at it like this. For those that say switch sides do this is a test. Switch which hands you write with. The goal is to they'll write a paragraph with either hand and nobody can tell the difference between the two.

As to where to mount the site... I'd be mounting it above the receiver just like any other scope

Reactions: shoobe01 and KM1
I'm cross-dominant myself and it's honestly made me a better shooter. I stuck with right-handed (better selection of weapons, no need for ambi or left-handed controls).
Scopes set for right eye focus, iron sights worked out really well with both eyes open (well, until I hit 40 and the eyesight went to shit). Natural advantage when doing offhand shooting.
One thing I noticed is that I performed much better with a standard Aimpoint over the Eotech... it may be just me, but I found a tendency to look through the holosight as opposed to looking at the target and allowing the red dot to superimpose the point of aim. It led to canting the rifle subconsciously and a general lack of accuracy, regardless of where the CCO was mounted.
My advice is to borrow a half-decent red dot and try both.

You may be able to make it work with a holographic or red dot sight. But if you get into rifle shooting with a regular magnified scope, it’s not as forgiving.

I’m right handed, left eye dominant. Have always shot left handed, because I learned from my dad and he also shot left handed for the same reason.

Everybody is different, this is an issue you’re best to solve with your own experience rather than others who aren’t seeing with your eyes. For me specifically, I cannot close my left eye independent of my right eye. So for me to shoot a rifle right handed and try to focus solely with my right eye on either iron sights or an optic, I just can’t.

I am cross dominant as well and own all right hand stuff. Years ago, I taught myself to shoot from both sides of the rifle and practice both with regularity. It has aided my shooting quite a bit in terrain and scenarios where shooting from your weak side is advantageous because it may be more comfortable, or offers a better position. I also like to run the bolt with my right hand when the rifle is on my left shoulder.

This is a really hard question to answer in my opinion.

My reasoning for that opinion is that the level of eye-dominance in my opinion is different for everyone and is constantly changing depending on how you use your eyes. This is my non-expert opinion.

I will say this, I am right hand dominant and left eye dominant ........ My opinion is that all but the most extreme cases could be trained to use either eye as the dominant eye in shooting ....

Before changing your gear around too much I would spend fifteen minutes per night for a week at night practicing getting a good sight picture behind the optic ....

The way I would do it is initially if you have to wear glasses with tape or whatever over the non-dominant eye until it starts to be comfortable taking control. I would quickly try to move away from that and to just squinting your dominate eye enough until the non-dominant eye takes control. Repeat as necessary until both are comfortable taking control on command or where just a tiny quick little squint is enough to trigger the eye you need to take control.

Interesting....that is, kinda, what I did with learning how to keep both eyes open when training with a handgun. I had first started closing one eye, until I learned that it is BEST to shoot handguns for self defense with both eyes open. It took a little time...but I found the niche and it is second nature to me now to automatically keep both eyes open and catch my sights with my dominant left eye shooting right handed. Don't even think about it anymore.

I will need to get the rifle and the optic to see how all this works for me. Will TRY to maintain right handed shooting and use my right eye keeping both eyes open. It will be interesting.

I find it interesting that everyone on this thread who has cross eye dominance is left eye dominant and right handed. That is what I am as well. I wonder if this is more common across the board than the opposite. Likely as most people are right handed. Just an observation.

try the brock eye test it helps

it helped me a lot started shooting both with both eye open full time about two years ago or somewhere in there without getting blurry vision I still need glasses but while shooting its been great not to have to squint any more . i used twine and a few nuts and bolts felt more manly than colored beads not to mention we had them lying around the house so the cost was really nothing got to love free this has helped

Last edited:
try the brock eye test it helps

it helped me a lot started shooting both with both eye open full time about two years ago or somewhere in there without getting blurry vision I still need glasses but while shooting its been great not to have to squint any more . i used twine and a few nuts and bolts felt more manly than colored beads not to mention we had them lying around the house so the cost was really nothing got to love free

That's pretty cool!!! I have no issues right now with my handgun shooting with both eyes open with my right hand and being left eye dominant....that has never been an issue. The rifle thing....we will see. I am going to try this though just to see how it works.

Last edited:
My first year of precision rifle field type competitions, I wasn't on the forums at all so I just shot left handed because my left eye was way more dominant and I didn't really train out of it. Then as I got on the forums and learned more about dry fire practice and that you can practice without actually shooting live rounds lol, I got a lot more time in behind a scope and now I fee about equally as comfortable behind a scope using either and about equal right or left handed but I was also a "switch hitter" in baseball lol

Yes...it took a while with my handgun. I was so used to shooting with my right eye shut so it was weird, at first, keeping both eyes open. Took about a week or two before it became natural.

My left eye has better long distance vision. I am about 20/20 in that eye...but 20/30 in my right eye. So....I will try first to shoot right handed with both eyes open looking through the optic of the Eotech. I would guess that if I line up with a slight head tilt to my left so that the left eye doesn't see the reticle my right eye will take over and I can use my left eye to help more with the field of vision outside of the Eotech. However, I am just speculating and won't really know how all this will workout until I get everything. We'll see!!!

I’m right handed and left eye dominant as well. I spent some considerable time over the past year or so trying to teach myself to shoot with my right eye to finally “correct” my approach but finally decided to shoot my right handed guns lefty as I’ve done since I was a kid since the results are better. The only awkward part is having to break position to run the bolt. I’d be 100% happy doing things as I’ve done if I could only figure out a way to not break position and keep my face on the gun

I’m right handed and left eye dominant as well. I spent some considerable time over the past year or so trying to teach myself to shoot with my right eye to finally “correct” my approach but finally decided to shoot my right handed guns lefty as I’ve done since I was a kid since the results are better. The only awkward part is having to break position to run the bolt. I’d be 100% happy doing things as I’ve done if I could only figure out a way to not break position and keep my face on the gun

I'll let you know how it works out with the Eotech. Hoping I can be accurate on my right....but may, reluctantly, have to go left. We'll see.

I wrestled with this issue my whole career. I did 28 years in the Army, right handed, and left eye dominant. Didn't even know I was left eye dominant til I went to the Drill Sgt school. When they were teaching me how to teach basic rifle marksmanship... I learned new stuff they didn't teach me when I went through... or since at any unit. Still, I just had to fight it, closing my left eye to engage. It worked, but it slowed down my engagement times. Fast forward another 10 years. It's post 9/11, and we're getting ready for another deployment. I'm looking through some young PFC's Aimpoint he bought (2004) and I fall in love. I can keep both eyes open. Still left eye dominant. I pretty much just see the target with my left eye, but now there's a red dot on it because my right eye is picking up the Aimpoint, and my brain is putting the two together. I gotta get me one of these... We leave in a couple days, no time. Every place out, so I get an EoTech, close enough. Worked pretty much the same.

Just mount your red dot over the ejection port like you would normal. Your brain will do the rest. After training with it some, it will be second nature.

I too am left eye dominate and I do shoot righthanded. The only way to do that is to shoot with your left eye closed or you will always have a ghosted site picture. In the40+ years of shooting, I've learned to shoot both left and right handed, handgun, rifle and shotgun.

When my father in law was alive, he hated me when we'd go shooting. We'd go out to shoot trap and I'd shoot right handed, then left handed, all the while outshooting him. It's not for everyone, but I can also drive a nail using either hand. I guess it was growing up in the 60's left handed when there weren't many things for lefties to use, so I learned to do them right handed as well.

Keep that left eye close to keep a solid site picture.