• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

3/4 Scope Base Screws Enough?

BigTimeMediocrity

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2020
Canada
Hey,

So I had my new Tikka T3X (.308) build all together, and the other night my buddy and I went to level my glass and torque everything down. My scope base was on only finger tight, and we went to torque everything, and the front most hole on the reciever to mount a scope base stripped the shit out of the screw.

When I originally bought the rifle, the smith at the place I bought it from mounted my old Bushnell on two small sections of picatinny he also mounted. He torqued the living fuck out of them (I thought they were threadlocked on when removing, they weren't). I think in doing so he damaged the threads on the rifle itself. In the meantime we just put in the 3 working screws, with threadlock, and torqued them to spec. We figured since it was a .308 it should be fine, and I shouldn't have to get that one screw rethreaded. Anyone have 2c they could throw in?

Thanks!

man that sucks. I think you will need to get it rethreaded. I'd expect slight movement that you can't see and the other threads get damaged from recoil and use and the problem gets worse.

man that sucks. I think you will need to get it rethreaded. I'd expect slight movement that you can't see and the other threads get damaged from recoil and use and the problem gets worse.
Yeah I'm debating just getting it fixed. I can't see it being too expensive, and for the money I've put into this build I should just do it right. Do you think there's still a chance that there would be movement/damage even since the base had a recoil lug?

Reactions: devildawg2531
Yeah I'm debating just getting it fixed. I can't see it being too expensive, and for the money I've put into this build I should just do it right. Do you think there's still a chance that there would be movement/damage even since the base had a recoil lug?
honestly no way to know. If it was mine that would bug the crap out of me and I would get it retapped and a proper screw fit

Reactions: Whhood
Do I think it’s fine? Probably. The old model sevens had 3 screws and were light rifles. The base having a recoil lug will help if it was loaded when mounted. That being said, I would get it fixed.

I'd use it as is. You'll probably never have an issue. But I'm cheap and lazy and I tend to wait for things to break before I fix them. If I had 4 lug nuts per wheel and I twisted one off I'd probably still drive the car with just 3. Haha