• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

3.6-18x for 6.5G?

Yellowhammer

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2018
North Alabama
The hilly/wooded terrain in my part of the country rarely allows shots further than 200 yards. I've currently got a 12 inch 6.5G SBR with a VX6 2-12 on it and it's plenty for those 200 yard shots.

However, I'm in the odd position of having some decent higher magnification scopes (3.6-18x) and trying pick a rifle to put under them. I don't plan on doing any competition shooting or anything like that; this is more of a solution looking for a problem in the realm of hobby shooting.

Would a 18x scope be too much if I were to build another Grendel upper? For this one I'd probably do a 18 inch bbl since I've already got the short stuff covered. I've already got a BCG, magazines, a nice stack of 6.5G ammo etc so, to me, a dedicated long(er) range upper in the same caliber kind of makes sense.

.224 is not dissimilar enough from the 6.5G to warrant a swap and .223 is boring. I don't have any AR-10 types so a bigger round would be a more involved project.

That said, if y'all have a better idea for a gas gun caliber I'm all ears.

That sounds like a perfect idea for your situation, to me. a 6.5 G in an 18" barrel shooting 123s or similar does pretty darn well out to about 1000, though wind will shove it around some when way out there. That 18x should be e perfect fit for that too.

Man, I'd love to even find a place to shoot 1000. We do have the CMP marksmanship park here that goes out to 600.

I'm going to poke around for a 18 inch bbl I think.

Great pairing. I've currently got a 3-15 Steiner on my 18" Grendel, but certainly wouldn't mind 18x and lighter weight.

28344690048_862a093985_k.jpg

M6x,

I'm glad I bought a case of the wolf when it was plentiful. Last time I looked it had dried up. Have you tried grouping the wolf ammo? Just curious

I've been running a Leupold Mark 5 3.6-18x44 Tremor 3 on my 224 Valkyrie since they came out and I couldn't think of a more perfect optic for a precision gas gun.

I think the Wolf is available again. I put 500 rounds of it through that gun so far. It shot 2-4 MOA at 100 yards for me. Hornady Black was around 1".

It is quite dirty. It's great that it's available, but I'm not sure I'm going to buy anymore of it.

Awesome, that's the scope I have looking for a rifle to park it on. Trying to decide which one I want to keep - the Tremor 3 or the TRM illuminated. The T3 may be too cluttered for my not-so-serious purposes.

I more likely to shoot beer cans off fence posts than anything else. I'll just be able to shoot the beer can from a bit further away with this rifle though.

For a gas gun a good holdover reticle is where it's at. I'd keep the Tremor 3. If you decide to sell it though let me know, I'm in the market for another.

As are the Bushy LRHS and LRTSi’s. Very good glass in their price range, useable reticle in range you may shoot, no question warranty, and if you keep your eye open, available in the $800-850 range in lightly used condition. No experience to offer on the Leupold, but they’re getting favorable comments here.

I have a Vortex Viper 6.5-20 on my 18 inch Grendel. Shot out to 500 yards last weekend and was making repeated hits before the steel stopped swinging. Shooting factory 123 SSTs out of the brownells branded barrel and matching bolt I was getting 3/4 minute groups out to distance. Am very happy with that considering price paid and factory ammo