• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

3.850" CIP AICS LA Mags - Am I doing this Right?

SN13

Impatient
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2009
West Palm Beach, FL
Here's what I've got.

KRG Long Action. 3.850" CIP length Magwell.

I don't need the Magnum width feed lips that come with the .338 Lapua versions as I just want to be able to set standard cartridges at Longer OAL's without single-feeding them. I can't find any 3.850" mags designed for 30.06 feeding, so the smallest i can find is the .300 WM versions.

It appears that the two best options for a true 3.850" CIP Mag are:

I cannot find any other CIP length Magazines with Feed-lips designed for the Narrower Standard 30.06 sized brass.

Are there any other makes of magazine I should be looking into?

Also, are there any 3rd party Mag-Well "spacers" that will reduce a KRG Mag well (Not the Polymer, so don't link the KRG website) to smaller 3.715" Length?

Thanks for the information. I've been looking around but it appears most people who use LA opt for the 3.715" Mags and not as many use the 3.850....

Cheers!

My 284 is feeding from WM 3.850 mags just fine without modifying them. I’d say buy one and try it. You might be surprised

The MPA Feed Lip Adjustment Tool is just a hunk of aluminum with an angled groove cut in it....and worth every penny. It allows you to easily tweak the metal feed lips to precisely align that primer up exactly where you want it height wise...and get reliable feeding out of different sized cartridges. It is a must have for my range bag.

The MPA Feed Lip Adjustment Tool is just a hunk of aluminum with an angled groove cut in it....and worth every penny. It allows you to easily tweak the metal feed lips to precisely align that primer up exactly where you want it height wise...and get reliable feeding out of different sized cartridges. It is a must have for my range bag.
Unless they are MDT mags...their lips are thicker and don’t fit in the MPA tool😟

Unless they are MDT mags...their lips are thicker and don’t fit in the MPA tool😟

Works great on all my MDT mags.

mpa_MDT1.png

mpa_MDT2.png

Well...hmm....this might best be answered by @MDT_OFFICIAL or @MDT_Josh

Hey guys...are the 308 magazine feed lips thicker?
Nope, they should be the same thickness across the 12 round SA and 5 round CIP. Also, for the OP, you'll find that there may be some other issues running a "shorter" long action cartridge out of a CIP length magazine and stacking/feeding could be a concern. I can look into this more when I am back in the office, but the feedlip bending too should work across the board :)

Our sheet metal thickness is .040" +/- so you could also make your own bending tool with a check of aluminum and a hacksaw ;) Don't ask us how we know.

Josh

Reactions: b2lee
Hey Josh,

I ended up using shorter CIP mags as the Full Length were allowing the round nose to dip as the case head passed the "Center" tipping point on the spring.

In longer rounds, that's not an issue because by the time the head passes the Spring tipping point, the nose of the bullet is already inside the receiver, headed to the chamber.

Also, the KRG Bravo chassis ships with a "Spacer" for their long actions to allow use of the shorter magazines. BUT that spacer cannot be used with their Full Length aluminum enclosed forend.... BUT I 3d printed a solution to that....

Reactions: MDT_Josh
Thanks for the information. I've been looking around but it appears most people who use LA opt for the 3.715" Mags and not as many use the 3.850....

Cheers!

Yes, the 3.715" is more of the standard and work well with most actions. The 3.850" is longer than some factory actions like the Remington 700, so if you're running a factory 700 with 3.850" mags, your feed ramp will cover part of the mag and you can get rounds stuck under your action, so you'd have to have it notched for the longer mag, or use some kind of adapter to use the shorter, standard length mags.