• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

3 best workouts to go with running

6.81star

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2008
Nebraska
I am looking to add to my workout. Goal is too increase cardio, stamina, and leg strength. What are some good WOs to complement running. Ideally which exercises would be most efficient. Output of effort vs. amount gained in cardio and fat burned.

Re: 3 best workouts to go with running

Check out some of the Crossfit workouts. The long ones that involve squats, wall ball shots, and kettle bell swings ought to get you where you want to go. I'd also consider a bicycle.

I have been tring to mix up my workouts some. I mountain bike a lot in the summer, that will help with all your goals. I also have been doing card PT lately. Ill take a deck of cards and do an exersize to the deck. Last week I doubled up the deck and did pull ups and push ups for the deck. This week I did 6 counts to the deck and 5 pull ups between each card. I think doing a deck of the 6 counts at a very rapid pace (no more than 45-60 seconds rest at any time, perferably nonstop) will definately burn some calories and get your cardio up and also work the hell out of your legs.

It works like this: each card is how many reps you do of an exersize and face cards are 10 and aces are 11. That puts a deck at 380 reps, by the way you have to do 1 last set of 20 when you are finnished b/c stopping that short of 400 reps is just lame.

Dont forget to change up your running, dont just run distance especially not the same distance every time. Also mix in some sprints, sprint/jog combos, hit some hardcore stairs, and if poss. make up some type of weighted sled pull.

But most important train past the point at which you want to quit, thats the money maker in endurance traning.

I just started doing this a few days ago so I'm not yet sure how it will work. I started running with a 50 pound weighted vest on. Run as far as I can and walk back. Didn't even measure the distance but the leg burn was substantial. Took all of the next day for the soreness to subside.Felt pretty good the day after that. Gonna do it again tomorrow. Do my regular runs, insanity program and lifts on other days.

I run 3-5 miles 6 days a week. I follow up my runs with ass loads of pushup with a sand filled packpack weighing in at around 70 lbs. 100-150 deadlifts with 135lbs, weighted pullups with gymnastic rings and finish it all up with hitting a tire with a 16lb sledgehammer until I can't pick the hammer up. Every other day I rotate kettlebell swings with sledgehammers. You get plenty of cardio and work every muscle in your body.

Increasing cardio, you have to mix in interval training. I focus on the bicycle, so I do 2 minutes 90% effort and then 2 minutes easy recovery spin and do this 5-6 times.

I got this from bicycling.com and i've been doing this and i can feel my endurance getting better.

Lunges, Squats, and a kickass Stairmaster machine like the Stairmaster 7000pt.

Talk to any serious runner and they'll tell you they do lunges and squats. I personally like the stairmaster cause it's really helps to keep the legs in great shape and helps with the cardio.

Lunges
Flutter Kicks
Bicycle (Abs not the wheeled machine)
and....yup squats (I know the makes 4 but flutter kicks and the bicycle are the bee's knee's)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chip01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run 3-5 miles 6 days a week. I follow up my runs with ass loads of pushup with a sand filled packpack weighing in at around 70 lbs. 100-150 deadlifts with 135lbs, weighted pullups with gymnastic rings and finish it all up with hitting a tire with a 16lb sledgehammer until I can't pick the hammer up. Every other day I rotate kettlebell swings with sledgehammers. You get plenty of cardio and work every muscle in your body. </div></div>

Wow, you must be one fit dude.

Cherry Pickers are intense, and go really well. If you dare do 10 sets of 10.

At 56 cross training works really well for me now. I use to run 5 days a week, 6 to 9 miles on M/W/F depending on how I felt and 3 or 4 miles on T/T. Weights three times a week. My training runs were 9-10 minute miles and I ran the Marine Corp Marathon in the fall. This worked for about 20 years. Then three years ago I started getting injured doing the same things I had always done. Torn MCL, stress fractures in both feet and finally a work related injury (herniated disk)all in about 18 months just about ended my running days.

Cross training was my way back and I can still work out 5 days a week. I still run hard two days a week, but now I do a couple of long mountain bike rides (2 hours plus)or a spinning class or eliptical machine for an hour the other three days. Weights twice a week with more reps and less weights and plenty of stretching after a warm up. I also do a kettlebell workout (20 minutes) a couple of times a week and wind sprints up a hill behind the gym instead of just running distance everyday. Full recovery from the injuries, very little muscle soreness and a recent marathon was my fastest averaging 8.20 per mile. Bottom line for me is that running less and cross training greatly improved my running. Good luck.

Mountain Biking and Squats. The bike will improve cardio, and burn fat like crazy, and squats will improve your explosive power.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chip01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 100-150 deadlifts with 135lbs, </div></div>

That's a lot of deadlifts, mate. How long do your workouts typically last?

What are the cherry pickers your all talking about? I looked it up, but found a few different exercises.

I'll add that Ross Enamait's ICT and EIT workouts often have running mixed in. They can be quite brutal if you push yourself.

this is what I currently do,

repeat 5x
10min hard run
25 squats
20 lunges

for not impact substitute bike with run

or

A lifecycle pyramid workout
start at level 2 and increase every minute until max level about level 24 then reverse (2.4.6.8...24...8.6.4.2)
thats at total of 24 min. This one is good while resting your knees from the runs

these workouts are very difficult but doable.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/O4BGZV-YhPc"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/O4BGZV-YhPc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

There are a ton of workouts out there. You need to find something that works for you and don't get bored with it. Switch it up. Maybe one month lift for overall strength at 5 reps with heavy weight then the next month cut the weight back a little and go for 10-15 reps

Holy crap, dude you are amazing. that is the most insane workout I have ever heard of. I wish I had that much free time....