• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

3 digit Remington 40x

jimmy917

Private
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2018
Burton, Ohio
Hello all, hoping to gather some info on an old relic of mine, it’s a 1954 40x with a serial number in the mid 100s. Obviously one of the first made. It’s not a CMP or USMC. I found minimal info on the four digits in general, but not a lot. Is there a resource out there that I can use to find anything out that I can? I’ve heard the early one are on a 722 action, not 700. It’s a blued barrel and action, not stainless. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Travis224
Hello all, hoping to gather some info on an old relic of mine, it’s a 1954 40x with a serial number in the mid 100s. Obviously one of the first made. It’s not a CMP or USMC. I found minimal info on the four digits in general, but not a lot. Is there a resource out there that I can use to find anything out that I can? I’ve heard the early one are on a 722 action, not 700. It’s a blued barrel and action, not stainless. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Barrel stampings will give you a build date. The early 40X had a straight bolt handle and ball knob, and pretty massive safety thumb piece. The later 40XB had a 700 style swept handle and the checkered “squashed” ball knob.
Triggers were slightly different, as well as bottom metal, however both will accept 700 short action scope bases, triggers, and if you can find one with a large enough barrel channel, stocks.

Thanks. It looks like was off a bit, my barrel has a "P", "B", and what looks like a "6". I'm assuming June 1955. It has the round bolt handle and bigger than usual safety. Is there any particular relevance to these early ones, for better or worse?

Reactions: obx22
If I recall you need to watch the safety lever if you install a 722 into a 700 stock. It should bolt up. But you might need to clearance the 722 lever. Like the notch in the stock might impede some movement.

I only have experience putting a 40XB into a modern stock. Used a HS Precision stock and BDM.

Reactions: obx22
image.jpg
image.jpg

Thanks. It looks like was off a bit, my barrel has a "P", "B", and what looks like a "6". I'm assuming June 1955. It has the round bolt handle and bigger than usual safety. Is there any particular relevance to these early ones, for better or worse?
The only myths were about the US and USMC marked ones. If it’s accurate, enjoy it. If it’s not, make it so. Rebarrel, restock, retrigger, whatever it takes to make it what you want.

Reactions: camocorvette
That’s my plan. It just seemed there was a particular following for the four digits, and this being so low, I didn’t want to modify it if there was any significance. It shoots good, but has been poorly refinished, so it’s probably a good candidate for an overhaul. Thanks

You might post this in the vintage forum, lots of knowledge on such things in there.

I had one of the early ones, the barrel used to be competitive in ARA (before tuners) and shot Lapua midas L well enough it was a top shooter beating out the equally early custom single shot actions. But it and I couldn't keep up once everyone else got their stuff dialed in. They dropped L line of ammo (was oversized bullet for a better fit in the bore). You are correct, at the time, that older action was highly regarded and to me it still is

As nice as the stock is on your early 40X, it's a shame the metal has had such a poor job of re-finishing. I sent a beat-to-snot CMP 40X with s/n 85XX off to Jonathan Elrod for the repeater conversion that Mike Bush drew up to use his early prototype V22 magazines, then fitted, chambered, and installed a Benchmark 3-groove bbl in sendero contour on it when it came back. Never one to leave well enough alone, I liked it so much that I sent Jonathan my one remaining CMP 40XB for the same treatment, and put a Lilja titebore sendero contour bbl on it when I got it back. Both these rifles were absolutely a ton of fun to shoot and very accurate. But just a month or two after I got the 40XB up-and-running, Mike partnered with VGW and released the V22 rifle - and I had to have one. So I sold the 40X to fund a new build on an early V22 action, but kept the 40XB repeater, even after buying more V22 repeaters & single shot actions. I put Jewell HVR triggers on both these 40X rifles, and have had really good results with both of them.

ETA - The 40X I got from CMP had the std wt bbl, not the 'truck axle' heavy bbl that came on the two 40XBs I bought through CMP. Both the 40XBs shot pretty respectable on the NRA 100yd smallbore target with both Eley Match & SK Rifle Match. The bluing was still in very good condition on the 40XBs, while it was badly worn on the 40X, and the 40X & one of the XB's stocks were pretty beat-up, while the other 40XB's stock was in pretty nice shape. I believe most of the damage to the stocks was due to these rifles being just tossed into shipping crates when they were recalled by CMP - the two Win 52Ds I purchased thru CMP had similarly damaged stocks. As good as the 40XBs shot, that heavy barrel was hard on my left (support) arm/elbow, and I was shooting prone on a padded matt on grass. I'm attaching a photo of the finished 40X repeater in a B&C #2095 stock, and the 1st 22RF rifle I built for myself, a Stiller 2500XR w/22"Krieger sendero in a Manners T4 Elite w/modified Seekins DBM similar to what they used on the "Ultimate 22RF Trainer" that EuroOptics had built for sale a few years before the V-22 became available. Later on, I sent the 40X bolt off to have a B-O tactical knob installed.

Attachments

• DSC_1133.JPG
    DSC_1133.JPG
    509.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
The stock has been refinished as well, and yes, they did a much better job. I think the bluing was a do it yourself type kit.